Sponsored

Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points)

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And in 2022 the Tacoma Trd still uses rear drum brakes. WTF!
Right?! Mine is a 2017, and it's rocking rear drums. Arguments I've read in favor of them claim they are more reliable and require replacement less often. I've got zero complaints about mine, but it does seem a little anachronistic.

The Tacoma and 4Runner have always been slow to change (part of kaizen manufacturing philosophy), but what kills me is how slow Toyota is to incorporate new electronics. It wasn't until 2020 that the Taco got Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

Still, it's been bulletproof, and keeping it allows me to enjoy something less tried and true like a Bronco, which I'd never trust as a daily driver, but will enjoy the crap out of as an adventure vehicle.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€”
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will update yā€™all when I grind down that surface rust and put some POR-15 on it

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had rust In the same area but worse. Wonder if it was from the train ride (tie downs?) as my dealer didnā€™t even seem to bother with PDI. Either way I lightly sanded and sprayed the whole undercarriage with PB Baster Surface Shield. Itā€™s rated better than Fluid Film for longevity and you can buy it by the spray can at Home Depot.

Sponsored

Petek70

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 bronco, 76 bronco, 18 raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was laying under my Badlands just now, trying to make sure I had enough room to drop the skid plate and do an oil change without jacking the truck up ā€” but I found something concerning.

Behind both front wheels on either side, and just in front of the jacking point indicated on the frame itself, I spotted surface rust already popping up on the frame. I wiped it off with a dry rag to make sure it wasnā€™t just dripping from something else and accumulating there, but it does appear to be surface rust and not a stain of any kind.

Even more concerning, it looks like the spots of rust are on an area of the frame that seems scuffed up a bit ā€” almost like either Ford or my dealer during PDI didnā€™t safely lift the vehicle and somehow scuffed the rust proofing off the frame in this spot on both sides. The issue appears symmetrical (same amount of rust and scuffing on either side).

Pictures attached; my Badlands was built the first week of December 2021 and has under 600mi on it. If this amount of rust was popping up some years down the road Iā€™d be much less concerned, but now Iā€™m wondering if I should be sanding those areas down to bare metal and reapplying some rust proofingā€¦

Driver side:
5CCB2A26-341A-42A4-995C-FBAD423BB4BE.jpeg
9997B5B2-650A-4451-B095-1A43EEF4025F.jpeg

Passenger side:
D7C96B4F-D3C8-4AB8-9919-095575473491.jpeg
Lol, is this the first time youā€™ve ever looked under a vehicle?

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€”
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol, is this the first time youā€™ve ever looked under a vehicle?
Appreciate you reading the entire post before commenting! Added some pictures a few posts earlier of my 50,000 mile, 5 year old car I bought new, with zero frame/subframe rust šŸ˜‚

Yes, I understand rust is common. Yes, I understand itā€™s not a huge issue when itā€™s just surface rust. But read the part where I made it clear my dealerā€™s lift possibly scuffed through the rust proofing to cause this.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€”
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had rust In the same area but worse. Wonder if it was from the train ride (tie downs?) as my dealer didnā€™t even seem to bother with PDI. Either way I lightly sanded and sprayed the whole undercarriage with PB Baster Surface Shield. Itā€™s rated better than Fluid Film for longevity and you can buy it by the spray can at Home Depot.
Does yours have the same scuff marks just in front of the jacking point like mine does? I didnā€™t think about the railcar tie downs as possibly being the cause, but it definitely appears like something abrasive was rubbing or scraped the frame and those small spots got down to bare metal.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does yours have the same scuff marks just in front of the jacking point like mine does? I didnā€™t think about the railcar tie downs as possibly being the cause, but it definitely appears like something abrasive was rubbing or scraped the frame and those small spots got down to bare metal.
Yes. I had the same.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€”
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. I had the same.
Alright, that at least makes me less worried about the frame itself being prepped wrong! Just annoying that something in transport clearly took the rust protection clean off before I got it. Hope yours looks as good as (before) new now!

Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just noticed this today. So what's the best course of action? Sand it and Steel-It?

Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) PXL_20220417_194236668

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€”
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just noticed this today. So what's the best course of action? Sand it and Steel-It?

PXL_20220417_194236668.jpg
Most likely getting a POR-15 style kit with steel wire brushes and a rust prevention paint to go on ā€” clean the rust off, clean the area thoroughly with the included alcohol wipes, dry then paint on the rust preventative paint and you should be good until you scrape it up again

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Most likely getting a POR-15 style kit with steel wire brushes and a rust prevention paint to go on ā€” clean the rust off, clean the area thoroughly with the included alcohol wipes, dry then paint on the rust preventative paint and you should be good until you scrape it up again
It's gotta be from stones. Haven't scraped it on anything, as i only have 270+ miles on it. Same thing happening on the other side. Seems kind of odd to have happening so soon. Be nice to have some sort of guard for that area.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Was laying under my Badlands just now, trying to make sure I had enough room to drop the skid plate and do an oil change without jacking the truck up ā€” but I found something concerning.

Behind both front wheels on either side, and just in front of the jacking point indicated on the frame itself, I spotted surface rust already popping up on the frame. I wiped it off with a dry rag to make sure it wasnā€™t just dripping from something else and accumulating there, but it does appear to be surface rust and not a stain of any kind.

Even more concerning, it looks like the spots of rust are on an area of the frame that seems scuffed up a bit ā€” almost like either Ford or my dealer during PDI didnā€™t safely lift the vehicle and somehow scuffed the rust proofing off the frame in this spot on both sides. The issue appears symmetrical (same amount of rust and scuffing on either side).

Pictures attached; my Badlands was built the first week of December 2021 and has under 600mi on it. If this amount of rust was popping up some years down the road Iā€™d be much less concerned, but now Iā€™m wondering if I should be sanding those areas down to bare metal and reapplying some rust proofingā€¦

Driver side:
Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) PXL_20220417_194236668

Passenger side:
If you're worried about rust then you may want to have an aftermarket undercoating applied, otherwise it's something you're going to have to live with.
Sponsored