Sponsored

Swapping plastic bumper for Capable Bumper?

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone swapped their plastic bumper for a capable bumper? I’m wondering it it is as much of a pain as it for replacing the plastic bumper for a modular one.
Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Has anyone swapped their plastic bumper for a capable bumper? I’m wondering it it is as much of a pain as it for replacing the plastic bumper for a modular one.
I tried but I just didn't like the big gap that the bumper has between the grille and the bumper, plus you have to do some trimming to the plastic skid plate and you still have hooks showing... just didnt look right. I decided just to go aftermarket and have a metal skid plate that is meant for the bumper.

OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I tried but I just didn't like the big gap that the bumper has between the grille and the bumper, plus you have to do some trimming to the plastic skid plate and you still have hooks showing... just didnt look right. I decided just to go aftermarket and have a metal skid plate that is meant for the bumper.
Cool. I was thinking about dropping the Modular Bumper, but was hoping to put on the Capable Bumper. Any pictures of your Bronco with the new bumper?

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Cool. I was thinking about dropping the Modular Bumper, but was hoping to put on the Capable Bumper. Any pictures of your Bronco with the new bumper?
Have not decided on which aftermarket bumper I'm going with. I don't think I want a big bulky winch bumper that sticks way out. Not sure I would ever need a winch. Really contemplating the ARB Zenith since it is so well built and I can use my existing Diode Elite round lights. Maybe waiting to see what SEMA has to offer in New ideas.

OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Have not decided on which aftermarket bumper I'm going with. I don't think I want a big bulky winch bumper that sticks way out. Not sure I would ever need a winch. Really contemplating the ARB Zenith since it is so well built and I can use my existing Diode Elite round lights. Maybe waiting to see what SEMA has to offer in New ideas.
I do think a lot of the bumpers designed seem to be too big and bulky.

Sponsored

Mr.Black

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyone have the part number for the capable bumper?

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

cyoungk

Big Bend
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Curious, what made you believe the modular bumper is a pain any moreso than the capable bumper?

switching basic to modular isn't that complicated at all as long as you order the parts. maybe you're talking about the tow hooks, but you can literally just cut those off or order the replacement brackets that normally come with modular bumpers. i'd imagine its just about the same as replacing it with the capable bumper.

the only complicated part is putting together a list of the appropriate parts and ordering them... assembling it is easy.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just finished the plastic to capable swap in my OBX with parking sensors. Here is what I learned…
1. The wire harness is the same between the 2 bumpers, but they have different anchor points. Get out the zip ties!
2. The only difference between the sensors Is the angle that they connect. Swapped 2 sensors from the rear bumper to the front and everything fits.
3. Plan on rebuilding the bumper about 3 times. You’ll forgot something (D rings), or have to reroute wires, or some other reason.
4.The sensor brackets are not interchangeable. Either order them or make sure they come with the bumper.
5. Replace the flimsy plastic skid plate with the metal ones. Either buy the entire kit or find the front and engine plates.
6. If you don’t want to shave off your tow hooks, then order the brackets as if you had the Modular bumper. The parts numbers are out there.
7. It’s able to be done by yourself. It’s a great way to hide from the family.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Little Foot

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just finished the plastic to capable swap in my OBX with parking sensors. Here is what I learned…
1. The wire harness is the same between the 2 bumpers, but they have different anchor points. Get out the zip ties!
2. The only difference between the sensors Is the angle that they connect. Swapped 2 sensors from the rear bumper to the front and everything fits.
3. Plan on rebuilding the bumper about 3 times. You’ll forgot something (D rings), or have to reroute wires, or some other reason.
4.The sensor brackets are not interchangeable. Either order them or make sure they come with the bumper.
5. Replace the flimsy plastic skid plate with the metal ones. Either buy the entire kit or find the front and engine plates.
6. If you don’t want to shave off your tow hooks, then order the brackets as if you had the Modular bumper. The parts numbers are out there.
Awesome. Thanks for the input. Did you shave off your tow hooks or did you go with the brackets?

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess I'm not understanding why anyone would not shave their tow hooks. What am I missing here?

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Awesome. Thanks for the input. Did you shave off your tow hooks or did you go with the brackets?
I guess I'm not understanding why anyone would not shave their tow hooks. What am I missing here?
I did not shave. I got the correct brackets. It was worth the $100 to not mess with shaving.
Here are the hooks in comparison to the other brackets.
Ford Bronco Swapping plastic bumper for Capable Bumper? B39E77CB-2DB7-4C4F-9BCC-02CEE5F3B6F2

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just my opinion but get a used one and be ready for a install process if you really want a capable. Plus you will have the cpable bumper "gap". Buying all the parts and pieces and metal skid plate new is expensive. So much easier, cheaper, better built to go aftermarket and some even come with a matching skidplate like the JCR or DV8. Plus aftermarket has much better lighting options like light bar mounts etc... plus bull bar or grille guards. capabale just has fogs.

Function_7

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m working on the swap now, and I’m having a little trouble getting my wiring harness to reach all the way to the farthest sensor. Any tips or tricks?
Sponsored