Sponsored

Sync reads ENTIRE SMS after latest update(Android)

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.3L MT A51, 1974 Ford Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got the latest OTA update to Sync on my 12" screen and whenever I receive an SMS and I choose to 'Hear it' it reads *the entire* message, including the timestamp, all phone numbers in the to and from, all punctuation and THEN the message. Previous to this update it would read just the new message. Anyone else see this and if so how do I resolve this? SUPER annoying. Thanks!
@Ford Motor Company
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reset the head unit and it *seems* to have fixed it for now.

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still happens. Seems like it may be related to the message type being MMS and not plain SMS. Will do a test later.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for posting stuff like this. It's the reason why I keep my updates turned off :)

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Isn’t this a function of your Android device?

I always thought the Bronco was connected no different than any other bluetooth device. It doesn’t really add any functionality to the phone - it’s just a “speaker” and a “microphone” when it comes to voice interaction. When you listen to a SMS message - it‘s your phone deciding what to say and how it is worded (and in what voice), not the Bronco.

Maybe you should be looking closer at the phone updates. I’m not sure this is a Sync thing.

EDIT: to check if I’m right - have your phone read you the same message while not connected to the Bronco and see if the wording is the same.

Sponsored

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
On the Apple CarPlay side, in settings there is a section for messages and reading out loud (pretty much on or off). Does the android auto have a messages settings or reading settings?

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the Apple CarPlay side, in settings there is a section for messages and reading out loud (pretty much on or off). Does the android auto have a messages settings or reading settings?
Not using Android Auto. Just straight connection, standard Bluetooth stuff.

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t this a function of your Android device?

I always thought the Bronco was connected no different than any other bluetooth device. It doesn’t really add any functionality to the phone - it’s just a “speaker” and a “microphone” when it comes to voice interaction. When you listen to a SMS message - it‘s your phone deciding what to say and how it is worded (and in what voice), not the Bronco.

Maybe you should be looking closer at the phone updates. I’m not sure this is a Sync thing.

EDIT: to check if I’m right - have your phone read you the same message while not connected to the Bronco and see if the wording is the same.
Possibly. Used to work just fine. Unsure of the root cause, but posting here is certainly useful and helpful, whether it's sync or my phone. Also no way for my phone to just read me one of my messages. Does Apple do that?

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Possibly. Used to work just fine. Unsure of the root cause, but posting here is certainly useful and helpful, whether it's sync or my phone. Also no way for my phone to just read me one of my messages. Does Apple do that?
Through CarPlay, haven’t tried straight Bluetooth.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes - but it would have to be an unread message. Don’t know of a way to make Siri re-read to me a previously read message.

With that in mind, to test this, I would just forward the message in question to myself to make it arrive again as a new message. Then ask Siri to read my new messages as normal.

Sponsored

BRaptorSean

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have the same annoying problem. Anyone figure how to just read the message and not every detail?

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same annoying problem. Anyone figure how to just read the message and not every detail?
I have not :( . Still happens on single conversations, 2 person conversations, non conversations, RCS, no RCS. SMS/MMS only. Sucks.

BRaptorSean

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I did an experiment tonight and single conversations with Apple isn't an issue, all good. Single person Android and Group Text with Android Not an issue, all good. Add Apple with Android and enjoy all the details that no one wants to hear. Not sure why adding the Apple to the Android group chat causes so much drama, but that is what I have found so far that works.

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did an experiment tonight and single conversations with Apple isn't an issue, all good. Single person Android and Group Text with Android Not an issue, all good. Add Apple with Android and enjoy all the details that no one wants to hear. Not sure why adding the Apple to the Android group chat causes so much drama, but that is what I have found so far that works.
Me and my family only use Android and its an issue. No IOS at all :(
Sponsored