Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Am I really supposed to care about this? I'm more concerned about how the pistons look after a few hours.
Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Am I really supposed to care about this? I'm more concerned about how the pistons look after a few hours.
Don't read it if you are not interested. I don't really care. The thread is about Tailgate Hinger Wear!

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone else noticed this?

2021 Bronco tail lights LED Rapid Red.jpg

dsc-2368-1594681676.JPG
Yup, saw this and got some closeup pics of it on the one at super celebration west (if you search my username in thread titles you’ll find all the images).

an early mod I plan is a couple pieces of rubberized tape on those hinges, will save the paint and prevent it from wearing down and starting to rust.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, saw this and got some closeup pics of it on the one at super celebration west (if you search my username in thread titles you’ll find all the images).

an early mod I plan is a couple pieces of rubberized tape on those hinges, will save the paint and prevent it from wearing down and starting to rust.
Honestly, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Photos are pre-production units. If they are getting chipped from normal use, it's going to be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. This is exactly why it takes time to move to production... have to work out the kinks and find the things that need fixing. This could be as simple as adjusting the stop on the rear gate.

This is now two threads where people have claimed the hinges are going to fail. It's like the GVWR threads... glad we have so many material and design experts with access to the blueprints to tell me the gate is going to sag from the weight of the designed-for spares. I'm certain the reality will be equally as accurate as the proclamations of "if you weigh more than 90 pounds the Badlands will be over GVWR and the Bronco will spontaneously combust and flip over!!!!!!!!!!!!". :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Honestly, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Photos are pre-production units. If they are getting chipped from normal use, it's going to be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. This is exactly why it takes time to move to production... have to work out the kinks and find the things that need fixing. This could be as simple as adjusting the stop on the rear gate.

This is now two threads where people have claimed the hinges are going to fail. It's like the GVWR threads... glad we have so many material and design experts with access to the blueprints to tell me the gate is going to sag from the weight of the designed-for spares. I'm certain the reality will be equally as accurate as the proclamations of "if you weigh more than 90 pounds the Badlands will be over GVWR and the Bronco will spontaneously combust and flip over!!!!!!!!!!!!". :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
It’s entirely possible Ford may put some wear reducing patch over it before full production, if they don’t, and they don’t change using it as the 150 degree stop, it will eventually start to rust (probably a good bit after the warranty expires though), so I’d throw the $5 to prevent that.

I’m only looking at it because I plan to keep the truck for as long as possible, so little tweaks that will make it last longer are well worth it for me, but ymmv.

As for the overall strength of the hinges, they were pretty stout in person, and Ford used an extra weight bearing pin in addition to the latch on the other side, I don’t think anyone will have much issue with the swing gate unless they are always driving with it open for some reason.

Sponsored

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s entirely possible Ford may put some wear reducing patch over it before full production, if they don’t, and they don’t change using it as the 150 degree stop, it will eventually start to rust (probably a good bit after the warranty expires though), so I’d throw the $5 to prevent that.

I’m only looking at it because I plan to keep the truck for as long as possible, so little tweaks that will make it last longer are well worth it for me, but ymmv.

As for the overall strength of the hinges, they were pretty stout in person, and Ford used an extra weight bearing pin in addition to the latch on the other side, I don’t think anyone will have much issue with the swing gate unless they are always driving with it open for some reason.
Oh, I agree with spending a few bucks for prevention. It won't hurt. I just don't see worrying about it being as bad as some of the demos that aren't too old, because that would definitely be a problem within warranty. I guess the lucky ones of us will find out later this year. :D

Crazycactus

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F250, 1993 Bronco XLT, 2013 F-150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I just returned from a dealer showing in Toledo, Ohio where they had a 4 dr first edition and a Badlands non SAS, and I did happen to notice that they both had different tailgate stops. The reps there were clueless about it. Both are pre production, and they have changed the stops at some point. The area 51 stops stick out quite a bit more.
Ford Bronco Tailgate Hinge wear 20210519_122956
Ford Bronco Tailgate Hinge wear 20210519_123000
Ford Bronco Tailgate Hinge wear 20210519_123009
Ford Bronco Tailgate Hinge wear 20210519_123013

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's a pivot point. How can you be careful/not be careful there? Not trying to be a wise guy here. Maybe they should have put a bushing or bearing or something there?
Exactly. It's a point that should be designed for normal use. Opening and closing a tailgate for demos shouldn't be considered excessive or abusive.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice
I just returned from a dealer showing in Toledo, Ohio where they had a 4 dr first edition and a Badlands non SAS, and I did happen to notice that they both had different tailgate stops. The reps there were clueless about it. Both are pre production, and they have changed the stops at some point. The area 51 stops stick out quite a bit more.
Nice pics! Thanks for grabbing these. If you look closely in the hinge on the swing-gate side there seems to be a small bumper added as well. Looks like Ford integrated my idea of rubberized tape from the factory lol.
Sponsored