First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am the first owner of the vehicle after waiting almost a year and a half for my reservation number to get called. It was shipped directly from the factory via freight and I received it a couple weeks after the build was complete. I took possession on December 4, 2021 and it is a 2021 model year. I live in Virginia and vacation in Delaware. I never leave the top down in Virginia over night as my previous car was stolen. However, for our three week trip to Delaware last July, I left the top off during the day (and doors) and also several nights. We are about 3 blocks from the beach and there were a few days of decent seaspray but that is the only time this could have occurred. I never have moisture buildup on the interior windows and really have been blown away by how air tight the Bronco is even as a soft top. I did wipe the Bronco down after we left the beach but I guess I didn't get under the seats and would never have guessed to wipe down the soft top or try to access the behind the steering column cover.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is anyone else experiencing the INSIDE of their Bronco rusting? Basically, any unpainted surface in my Bronco is covered in rust. I have never left the roof off in the rain or gone into deep water. I tried to have it covered by Ford but they rejected it under the corrosion warranty. If this isn't corrosion, I do not understand what corrosion is.
as others have said, the surface rust on the unpainted metal under the dash and seats is unfortunately considered normal, although I agree it is a little surprising to see it to that degree on a vehicle that is only a year or so old. and honestly, I would suspect exposure to moisture somewhere along the line.

the headrest chrome rusting is NOT normal.

and FWIW, the "corrosion" warranty only covers sheetmetal body panel PERFORATION, so unless that stuff rusts literal holes in the metal it is not covered there.

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ziebart it baby!

I am in no way affiliated with this company, just remember the commercials years ago.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am the first owner of the vehicle after waiting almost a year and a half for my reservation number to get called. It was shipped directly from the factory via freight and I received it a couple weeks after the build was complete. I took possession on December 4, 2021 and it is a 2021 model year. I live in Virginia and vacation in Delaware. I never leave the top down in Virginia over night as my previous car was stolen. However, for our three week trip to Delaware last July, I left the top off during the day (and doors) and also several nights. We are about 3 blocks from the beach and there were a few days of decent seaspray but that is the only time this could have occurred. I never have moisture buildup on the interior windows and really have been blown away by how air tight the Bronco is even as a soft top. I did wipe the Bronco down after we left the beach but I guess I didn't get under the seats and would never have guessed to wipe down the soft top or try to access the behind the steering column cover.
Ah, I'm afraid it's Ocean 1 and Bronco 0. Saltwater spray on bare metal is going to corrode. Saltwater spray on chrome if not cleaned will rust at some point.

I hate to think what the underside of the Bronco looks like.

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've seen many convertible vehicles in my time new and not so old have surface rust on the seats under-framing, that is quit common. The headrest posts are chrome coated, and that is from moisture. You said you haven't done anything to promote this. Yes you have. You have left the top down overnight, many of nights in summer. Moisture in the air not rain caused this. Dew is moisture, midnight air is moist and the big word HUMIDITY. That is why you see this is all the hidden areas. The headrest posts can be wiped away for the most part.

Edit: the seat frames will not get any worse. Its just surface rust. You can take your hand and it will rub off on it. They will not rust excessively like a older vehicles fenders.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, try hanging one of these in your sealed up Bronco and see what you get after a couple of days.

As other have pointed out the headrest stem rust is very unusual and most likely the result of saltwater or some other contaminate

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP, try hanging one of these in your sealed up Bronco and see what you get after a couple of days.

As other have pointed out the headrest stem rust is very unusual and most likely the result of saltwater or some other contaminate
Maybe more like a week. Good idea!!

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Under dash untreated metal I have seen a lot in my days of car audio. Head rest would be an issue. Will be lubing soft top joints.
For what’s it’s worth I live within ear shot of ocean and hearing boats in the intracoastal river where I am. Have none of that rust. It does go in the garage as of last week.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agree that under seat/dash normal but excessive, IMO. Headrest stems, nope. Something wrong there and would suggest some type of environmental fallout if it rubs off, if not, warrantable defect.

Did the vehicle sit at the plant for an extended time? Was it shipped by rail? Ever get caught in the rain with top down? Any fabric protection applied?
Mine was shipped by rail, been in the rain with the top down and I live relatively close to the ocean (6 miles) and I have none of what he has going on. The under side of mine looks brand new for the most part, as in no rust and I also went through hurricane Ian and drove through water for a solid week on the streets 12-30” deep

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've seen many convertible vehicles in my time new and not so old have surface rust on the seats under-framing, that is quit common. The headrest posts are chrome coated, and that is from moisture. You said you haven't done anything to promote this. Yes you have. You have left the top down overnight, many of nights in summer. Moisture in the air not rain caused this. Dew is moisture, midnight air is moist and the big word HUMIDITY. That is why you see this is all the hidden areas. The headrest posts can be wiped away for the most part.

Edit: the seat frames will not get any worse. Its just surface rust. You can take your hand and it will rub off on it. They will not rust excessively like a older vehicles fenders.
There's going to be that humidity in a car whether the top is down or up. There are vents, a car isn't a sealed system.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Very strange. I live in San Diego and have had my Bronco since Aug 2021 and don’t see any of this. The only rust I’ve seen is on some exposed iron stuff in the undercarriage - nothing unusual.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was at the beach for three weeks this past Summer and the second day there I noticed rust dripping from the soft top joints into the trunk. I didn't notice the rest of this until last month. I don't live near the ocean and do not have a pool. The pictures are - under both front seats, behind the steering column, the rear headrests and the soft top.
Ouch… And Ford won’t address it…
Sponsored