First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did wash the vehicle down after. I did not wash under the seats and behind the plastic cover of the steering column. Can you send me some instructions for that?
I'm not sure how to clean out stuff on the inside. I would check with car washes or mechanics along the coast and ask them what they do.

A quick google search pops up several products to remove salt and prevent rust on metal surfaces you could spray on and wipe off.
Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Again I would use Corrseal to treat the rust, then Saltaway to keep it that way. This is what they use on boat engines etc to get the salt off. Saltaway

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is anyone else experiencing the INSIDE of their Bronco rusting? Basically, any unpainted surface in my Bronco is covered in rust. I have never left the roof off in the rain or gone into deep water. I tried to have it covered by Ford but they rejected it under the corrosion warranty. If this isn't corrosion, I do not understand what corrosion is.

IMG_7253.jpg
IMG_7252.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg
OP, what is the source of your Bronco? Did you buy it new yourself? Secondhand? Also, there are no "unpainted" surfaces in a Bronco, AFAIK. Strange

OP
OP
fwade4

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That surface rust is caused by exposure to ocean air which is high in salts and very corrosive. You can clean all that up that you see easily. That the chrome is showing rust indicates it may have come in contact with salt water. Did anyone with ocean-wet hair sit in that seat?
Quite possibly my daughter had wet hair. I was able to clean a good bit of the rust on the headrest pole now.
OP, what is the source of your Bronco? Did you buy it new yourself? Secondhand? Also, there are no "unpainted" surfaces in a Bronco, AFAIK. Strange
I bought it new from the factory. Received it in December 2021. Look under your front seats and you will see some unpainted metal. Also look behind the plastic cover for the steering column.

joeb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree, highly unusual for this to happen to a brand new vehicle.

Sponsored

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is anyone else experiencing the INSIDE of their Bronco rusting? Basically, any unpainted surface in my Bronco is covered in rust. I have never left the roof off in the rain or gone into deep water. I tried to have it covered by Ford but they rejected it under the corrosion warranty. If this isn't corrosion, I do not understand what corrosion is.

IMG_7253.jpg
IMG_7252.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg
Just curious what did the dealership you bought it from tell you, were they any help? It is surface rust but surface rust can get a lot worse.

sadiki2527

Badlands
First Name
sadiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope, there is no moisture smell my bronco seems to be sealed well. I have left the top down several nights over the summer but never in rain.
Have you ever mowed your lawn in the morning and noticed that it wet, but it didn't rain? hmmm. Maybe you should start leaving the top up to prevent the moisture from attack your vehicle overnight.

cdezarn

Wildtrak
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was at the beach for three weeks this past Summer and the second day there I noticed rust dripping from the soft top joints into the trunk. I didn't notice the rest of this until last month. I don't live near the ocean and do not have a pool. The pictures are - under both front seats, behind the steering column, the rear headrests and the soft top.
That's insane! Was it stuck on Ice Mountain waiting for parts before you got it? Just reaching 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
fwade4

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just curious what did the dealership you bought it from tell you, were they any help? It is surface rust but surface rust can get a lot worse.
They submitted pictures to Ford but Ford rejected it as a warranty item.

Sponsored
OP
OP
fwade4

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you ever mowed your lawn in the morning and noticed that it wet, but it didn't rain? hmmm. Maybe you should start leaving the top up to prevent the moisture from attack your vehicle overnight.
I usually put the soft top back up but leave the doors off on vacation. Putting the doors on every night is too much. I am just going to add rust protection going forward.

sadiki2527

Badlands
First Name
sadiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow - this is HIGHLY unusual. Especially those headrest posts. Just...wow.

But I can understand Ford's reaction of not covering it. So many different components are rusting in so many different locations on the vehicle that this almost certainly cannot be a "manufacturing defect". It just has to be some environmental force acting on the Bronco.

Man, I couldn't even begin to guess what. Even parking alongside the beach for 3 years wouldn't cause that much widespread rust.

If I were buying that vehicle and saw all that my first thought would be: "flood damage". Hurricane or deep water crossings.

I know you said you've never done that but you'll never convince a buyer that's true.
The OP said he has left the top down several nights throughout the summer. Morning dew is the reason for the corrosion. Thats why is so widespread and even on the headrest mounts.

Inigo Montoya

Badlands
First Name
Inigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been awhile since I studied chemistry but it could be electrolysis from improper grounding on the vehicle causing it

sadiki2527

Badlands
First Name
sadiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I usually put the soft top back up but leave the doors off on vacation. Putting the doors on every night is too much. I am just going to add rust protection going forward.
That should work but depending on where you are in the country the morning fog/mist or even cooling which may cause condensation in the vehicle could keep adding rust. Maybe we should all be considering a "vehicle cover" if we plan to expose the bronco to the elements. In most cases a vehicle cover is lightweight, compact and can be installed in minutes - a lot faster than putting the top and doors on.
Sponsored