Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree if you have it in a garage and also pool chemicals like chlorine tabs or acid… eventually those items will rust and wreck everything metal…
That was my first thought too, chlorine. I've seen the results of a leaky bottle in a wash room next to a metal shop. Rust on everything in days.
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is anyone else experiencing the INSIDE of their Bronco rusting? Basically, any unpainted surface in my Bronco is covered in rust. I have never left the roof off in the rain or gone into deep water. I tried to have it covered by Ford but they rejected it under the corrosion warranty. If this isn't corrosion, I do not understand what corrosion is.

IMG_7253.jpg
IMG_7252.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg
OP, I've driven on the Beach since receiving my OBX in October 2021, from Florida to North Carolina. There's no rust, anywhere on my OBX. (Photo of under my seat.) Your car has all the signs I would expect from a hurricane flood damaged vehicle. Or submerged in the surf. With rust inside bracket joints like your last photo, its more than simply missing paint (some 2021 Broncos did have incomplete paint, but your non-MIC, December delivery Bronco is likely too late for that). Perhaps someone borrowed your car for a joy ride in the surf? Something doesn't add up here.

20230313_161007.jpg

OP
OP
fwade4

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP, I've driven on the Beach since receiving my OBX in October 2021, from Florida to North Carolina. There's no rust, anywhere on my OBX. (Photo of under my seat.) Your car has all the signs I would expect from a hurricane flood damaged vehicle. Or submerged in the surf. With rust inside bracket joints like your last photo, its more than simply missing paint (some 2021 Broncos did have incomplete paint, but your non-MIC, December delivery Bronco is likely too late for that). Perhaps someone borrowed your car for a joy ride in the surf? Something doesn't add up here.

Ford Bronco Terrible Rust Throughout My Bronco Interior - How Did It Happen? 20230313_161007
Unfortunately no, I am the only person who has driven the Bronco. Can 't even trust the wife ;)

Rocky Rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Spectre_Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is anyone else experiencing the INSIDE of their Bronco rusting? Basically, any unpainted surface in my Bronco is covered in rust. I have never left the roof off in the rain or gone into deep water. I tried to have it covered by Ford but they rejected it under the corrosion warranty. If this isn't corrosion, I do not understand what corrosion is.

Ford Bronco Terrible Rust Throughout My Bronco Interior - How Did It Happen? 20230313_161007

Same issue with the panel underneath the steering column. I removed it in tact, replaced it, the following week it was starting to rust as if contaminated by touching. I've always had the Midas touch but as of late....

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same issue with the panel underneath the steering column. I removed it in tact, replaced it, the following week it was starting to rust as if contaminated by touching. I've always had the Midas touch but as of late....

At this point the only logical answer is, you've got a zombie Bronco on yer hands.

Sponsored

pandasloth

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even with the doors off and top down ober multiple days, an ocean mist should not cause corrosion to happen so quickly.

But, perhaps something more nefarious like maybe a jealous and/or shitty person may have thrown ocean water into your interior? Any chance of that happening? Was the interior more wet than a morning dew at any point?

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow, thread retitled, 10 pages of the same responses.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am the first owner of the vehicle after waiting almost a year and a half for my reservation number to get called. It was shipped directly from the factory via freight and I received it a couple weeks after the build was complete. I took possession on December 4, 2021 and it is a 2021 model year. I live in Virginia and vacation in Delaware. I never leave the top down in Virginia over night as my previous car was stolen. However, for our three week trip to Delaware last July, I left the top off during the day (and doors) and also several nights. We are about 3 blocks from the beach and there were a few days of decent seaspray but that is the only time this could have occurred. I never have moisture buildup on the interior windows and really have been blown away by how air tight the Bronco is even as a soft top. I did wipe the Bronco down after we left the beach but I guess I didn't get under the seats and would never have guessed to wipe down the soft top or try to access the behind the steering column cover.
I think the key is Virginia.. When I lived there the humidity was terrible in the summer.. Running the A/C just complicates the issue because when you open the doors to the humidity all that cold air in the car wants to condense the humid air. Coming in.. It may not be apparent but cold air drops under the seat.. Those under seat parts are chilled.. Now, open the door and the humidity flows in and immediately condenses on cold surface.. A simple trick is to let the Bronco run with the heat on directed to the floor.. Make sure there is nothing under the seats to allow maximum air flow.. it will partially dry the parts, warm up the parts, so when you open the door the surfaces don’t condense.. I would also check under your dash. The same problem might start there if it hasn’t already ..
Good luck in this journey..
Richard

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had half my interior out, and haven't found any unpainted surfaces...this ain't right.
How long did it sit on Rust Mountain™?!?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've had half my interior out, and haven't found any unpainted surfaces...this ain't right.
How long did it sit on Rust Mountain™?!?
That's what I'm wondering. How long did it sit with maybe a top missing, or a window open, before you got it. Even with that, that headrest "chrome" is brutal, not that far off of some pieces from my 40 year old rock crawler (like the sunvisor mounts on a 78/79), that did get completely submerged once.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The OP said he has left the top down several nights throughout the summer. Morning dew is the reason for the corrosion. Thats why is so widespread and even on the headrest mounts.
I don’t buy that. This is a vehicle that you are supposed to spray down to clean, remove the top and leave it off, drive thru standing water. There is something else going on.

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The heck? I've literally gotten my Bronco stuck in a sea bed at low tide and it hasn't rusted one bit, meanwhile you've got this. There's definitely more than what meets the eye.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is something beyond salt spray. The chrome is particularly telling, as is the pervasiveness of the corrosion. I would be willing to bet that at some point it was exposed to a gaseous oxidizing agent like chlorine, fluorine, bromine, hydrogen peroxide, etc. When and where is really the question.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The OP said he has left the top down several nights throughout the summer. Morning dew is the reason for the corrosion. Thats why is so widespread and even on the headrest mounts.
Not true.

OP was at the beach and left it wide open (no top, no doors) and ocean mist got inside. A lot.

Just dew won't do this.

Emerald

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored