First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What's the absolute thinnest (when closed) RTT you've found? I currently have an Inspired Overland RTT and it's pretty damn thin, but I'm trying to reduce my overall vehicle by 2" so I can fit in the garage.
I'm considering changing from my Valkyrie rack to a Turn Off-road which should reduce the height about 1.5".
Any suggestions for a thinner RTT?
Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is it afaik, but someone else will chime in.

2ndGenBroncoOwner

First Edition
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I feel you.. if you’re happy with the tent you already have, keep it. I drop all of my tire pressure down to 15 to get my Bronco in my garage… turns out I don’t need it to be in the garage all that much. I also have the Ford cover designed for the roof rack which fits perfectly with the RTT and Rotopax on.
Ford Bronco Thinnest RTT? 1712495975191-fx

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Afaik you’ve reached peak thinness

OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I feel you.. if you’re happy with the tent you already have, keep it. I drop all of my tire pressure down to 15 to get my Bronco in my garage… turns out I don’t need it to be in the garage all that much. I also have the Ford cover designed for the roof rack which fits perfectly with the RTT and Rotopax on.
Ford Bronco Thinnest RTT? 1712495975191-fx
Curious how much airing down to 15psi reduces overall height? What size tires? Airing down and a Turn Offroad rack may get me there with the IO RTT.

Sponsored

2ndGenBroncoOwner

First Edition
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Curious how much airing down to 15psi reduces overall height? What size tires? Airing down and a Turn Offroad rack may get me there with the IO RTT.
I am able to drop about 3 inches or so when I air down. I have the factory Sasquatch 35’s

OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am able to drop about 3 inches or so when I air down. I have the factory Sasquatch 35’s
Nice! That helps a lot. I think I'm where I need to be airing down + IO RTT and maybe need to go to the Turn Off-road rack. Only downside with their rack is the front panels aren't removable. But if I can remove the rack in 10 minutes, that's not a big deal.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Inspired overland is going to be as thin as you're going to get.

I was in the same situation, did all the research, and ended up getting the inspired.

In order to get out of my garage I have to drop my Bronco 3 in.

It is actually pretty easy. I have Sasquatch with the 35-in tires... they don't even start to drop in height until you get down to about 10 lb.

Basically all I have to do, is air down all four tires to 10 lbs that gets me about 1".

And then here is the key.... Harbor freight has these heavy duty ratchet straps.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...-ratcheting-tie-down-straps-4-pack-61303.html

You use 2 of those to ratchet down the rear suspension and that will give you two more inches. There are holes in the frame right in front, and right behind where the shock mounts. You hook the ratchet strap to those, and a few clicks will suck the suspension down.

With that I can get out of the garage with about a 1/2" to spare.

It sounds like a lot. But my tent is hanging from the ceiling of my garage. I back the Bronco in drop the tent down on the factory rack. Attach it, let the air out of the tires and ratchet it down, pull the Bronco out, and air the tires back up....the whole process takes about 45 minutes.... Which isn't bad since I only use the RTT a few times a year.

My next house will definitely have an oversized garage door!

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@TahoeTexan @da_jokker I’ve been eyeing the GFC Superlite (used market and patiently waiting for the new American-made one) and the IO RTT. Can either of you provide any assessment on the IO RTT on your Bronco? Any photos with the tent closed and/or open on your rigs? How comfortable is it — I believe I understand you sacrifice some comfort to get such thin and light RTTs. Can you tell there’s extra weight up there or is it just light enough you don’t notice it?

can I still get some open air experience if I remove the front roof panels and the RTT is mounted as rearward as it can be? I assume the answer is “no” for the XL variants

I’m hoping to finally see one in person at MOORE Expo 2024, but not holding out hope it’ll be on a Bronco

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@TahoeTexan @da_jokker I’ve been eyeing the GFC Superlite (used market and patiently waiting for the new American-made one) and the IO RTT. Can either of you provide any assessment on the IO RTT on your Bronco? Any photos with the tent closed and/or open on your rigs? How comfortable is it — I believe I understand you sacrifice some comfort to get such thin and light RTTs. Can you tell there’s extra weight up there or is it just light enough you don’t notice it?

can I still get some open air experience if I remove the front roof panels and the RTT is mounted as rearward as it can be? I assume the answer is “no” for the XL variants

I’m hoping to finally see one in person at MOORE Expo 2024, but not holding out hope it’ll be on a Bronco

I added the mabett 3rd crossmember and place the RTT all the way back (basically the rear of the tent is even with the rear of the MIC.

You can't really feel the weight, and I leave my sleeping bag and pillow in it. The only issue is the wind can get between it and the roof and end up with a vibration at high speeds...however driving 65 or so isn't an issue (that is the reason why I have it shifted so far back, so the wind off the windshield basically clears, and goes over)

I've been very happy with the inspired, especially for the money (think I paid 1,200 to my door).

A bunch of us went on a trip, and like three of us had the inspired, and one guy had the BA (i think that was the one). One issue we experienced was that when it was cold in the morning, the zipper on the inspired was a bit hard to get around the corners.

The BA guy has snaps so there was no issue for him. Luckily I had a bar of Ivory soap (to fix gas tank leaks you know) so little dry soap on our zippers, and then it was no issue.
Sponsored