Sponsored

Thought I had it figured out, now back to square one (BL vs BD)

Which Trim?

• Total voters

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I suddenly find my self in the same situation. I have been all in on a badlands for months. I want the MGV and do want the 12” screen. Also want the signature headlights and the LED tails. But its an extra $7k to get to that 12: screen.

So now I am thinking maybe it makes more sense to get the Black Diamond. I wont be doing any serious off roading, maybe hit the beach or something, dealing with snow in the winter but thats about it.

If I take the High Package out of the equation the price difference is still pretty big.

Badlands - 2.7/auto/mid = $48,575
Black Diamond - 2.7/auto/mid/advanced 4x4 = $43,325
Savings = $5250

I was probably going to get new wheels anyway, thinking the fifteen52s. So $1250
New tires, 33 or 35” = $1250
Dont like the black diamond grill so new grill = $500
If the jeep market is any indication I will be able to find headlights and tails for around $1000.
Not sure what a 1-2” lift costs? $1500?

I still end up ahead and honestly I would have spent the $2500 on new wheels and tires on the badlands as well so that doesn’t count in my numbers.
Plus I am sure I could either find a trade partner or sell the Steelies, the headlamps and the grill.

Damn I think I just talked myself into a black diamond.
OBX?
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This sort of tags along with the numerous BL and BD posts as that’s what I’m comparing, so I’ll post this here. And I’m fully willing to take the heat if I’m a moron but i searched and haven’t found much on this specifically. With all of these calculations on tire size, was the bigger concern the increase in width of the tire or the diameter? I’m looking for bigger tires mostly because it looks better on the 4-door. Off-roading consists of some beach and dirt (so nothing requiring upgraded suspension). It will be my daily driver, not much of a work commute either. I’ve learned most of what I’m going to say from this forum (that’s scary) so take that as you will. I’m planning to go BD and then get bigger tires (I don’t mind the steelies and I prefer the BD grille and regular lights). It seems most of the “lift” in BL or Squatch is tire size increase (something like 10mm more in squatch separately?). BFG shows a K02 34 x 10.5 x 17 that is d load (says it measures 33.5) on their website. The width is almost identical to the stock 265/70/r17. I’m going 2.7AT. They both have 4.46 gearing with stock tires (BD 32 (31.6)and BL 33 (32.7). I know that we won’t know until people get their hands on them, but I don’t really want to touch anything other than swapping to bigger tires. I don’t care about a few mph difference on the speedo, I’m not going to beat it up off-road, and I don’t care if the tires might look a bit skinner. But I’m willing to take a small risk to save $4-$6k by going stock BD Vs BD squatch or stock BL. Is that specific tire potentially a viable solution? Anything I’m missing here that I haven’t considered that might torpedo the whole thing?
Since your most likely off-road is beach them why not consider the OBX with the 18"wheels? Less weight (bash and sliders) too for something else.

Jv15

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Since your most likely off-road is beach them why not consider the OBX with the 18"wheels? Less weight (bash and sliders) too for something else.
I’m lazy and I know I’ll get caught with the top down or forget to put it up, and I have two toddlers that are going to make an absolute mess in the back, and they’re the reason I’ll probably forget about the top. MGV is a huge selling point for me and I personally prefer the BD look by a significant margin.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m lazy and I know I’ll get caught with the top down or forget to put it up, and I have two toddlers that are going to make an absolute mess in the back, and they’re the reason I’ll probably forget about the top. MGV is a huge selling point for me and I personally prefer the BD look by a significant margin.
Just trying to offer help and thoughts.

Jv15

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just trying to offer help and thoughts.
I appreciate that, wasn’t trying to be snarky in my reply - just details that I know are non-negotiable!

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I appreciate that, wasn’t trying to be snarky in my reply - just details that I know are non-negotiable!
All good!

It's been a looong day for us all! Especially those spending a few dozen thousand!

CCBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This sort of tags along with the numerous BL and BD posts as that’s what I’m comparing, so I’ll post this here. And I’m fully willing to take the heat if I’m a moron but i searched and haven’t found much on this specifically. With all of these calculations on tire size, was the bigger concern the increase in width of the tire or the diameter? I’m looking for bigger tires mostly because it looks better on the 4-door. Off-roading consists of some beach and dirt (so nothing requiring upgraded suspension). It will be my daily driver, not much of a work commute either. I’ve learned most of what I’m going to say from this forum (that’s scary) so take that as you will. I’m planning to go BD and then get bigger tires (I don’t mind the steelies and I prefer the BD grille and regular lights). It seems most of the “lift” in BL or Squatch is tire size increase (something like 10mm more in squatch separately?). BFG shows a K02 34 x 10.5 x 17 that is d load (says it measures 33.5) on their website. The width is almost identical to the stock 265/70/r17. I’m going 2.7AT. They both have 4.46 gearing with stock tires (BD 32 (31.6)and BL 33 (32.7). I know that we won’t know until people get their hands on them, but I don’t really want to touch anything other than swapping to bigger tires. I don’t care about a few mph difference on the speedo, I’m not going to beat it up off-road, and I don’t care if the tires might look a bit skinner. But I’m willing to take a small risk to save $4-$6k by going stock BD Vs BD squatch or stock BL. Is that specific tire potentially a viable solution? Anything I’m missing here that I haven’t considered that might torpedo the whole thing?
I’m where you are. I’m stuck between the BD with steelies and adding a larger tire 33’s or Sas. The savings for not going Sas is my driving factor. I can load up on features on the BD and staying within a comfortable price point.

jasonenvoy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2d 7mt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am here with you and everyone else. If you're also thinking of going manual, I'd add a consideration for rear end gearing. Via North7: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/how-to-choose-the-right-size-tire-for-your-2021-bronco.4902/. Not sure what the implications of mismatched gearing are yet but - absolutely knowing nothing about it - I am leaning BL

BD I figure would cost $2k-$3k for grill, tires, wheels, etc... is $2k worth the 'convenience' of BL? For me I think it might be
Sponsored