Sponsored

TIL only the rear quarter panels on the (4 door) Bronco are made of a ferrous metal

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I am heading back to Montana for fly fishing with family in 2 weeks and one "nice to have" item I bought were these rubberized magnetic rod holders that supposedly stick onto the side of your vehicle and they have notches where you can put your fly rod. Its 100% a convenience thing, keeping your rod from sliding down the side of your car and/or accidentally getting broken by a car door being closed on it.

They weren't cheap but they were 10% off and free shipping so I bought 2, one for both sides of my Bronco. Because the fender flares stick out so much the rubberized magnet doesn't protrude out far enough to hold the rod (the rod hits the fender flare first). So the logical place to put these would be on the doors, but guess what? The doors must be made of aluminum or other non-ferrous material. The doohickies don't stick to the doors or the front fenders, or even the tailgate door.

The only panels on my Bronco where the magnets stick are the rear quarter panels.

I guess since ferrous metals are heavier than non-ferrous metals, it makes sense for the doors since they are removable. But I was surprised that the front fenders are also some non-magnetic material.

As the saying goes "the best laid plans of mice and men..." The items will be returned.
Sponsored

ExiledReb

Outer Banks
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Bronco (Built, not yet shipped)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That product caught my eye as well. Guess I’ll pass on it.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I actually thought all the fenders were aluminum. TIL

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The video was too big to upload to the site, so here is a link to YouTube.

And I should clarify that the "fail" is the attempt to use the rod holder with the Bronco. The concept and implementation of the rod holder is good (albeit expensive), but it just doesn't work on the Bronco because of the fender flares.

Last edited:

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just use the fender

PXL_20230708_205652273.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just use the fender
As I mentioned, this was a nice-to-have thing as we typically have 4 guys in the Bronco.

I’ll live without it and will go back to using the bumper and the side view mirrors.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As I mentioned, this was a nice-to-have thing as we typically have 4 guys in the Bronco.

I’ll live without it and will go back to using the bumper and the side view mirrors.
I got busted driving on the airport without placards on the doors because the magnets wouldn't stick. It's nice that they're light, but definitely sucks for magnetic accessories.