Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's a stick bud lol

Would you say like you're floating?
That's more of a symptom of over filled not under filled tires, since when you drive the faster you drive the more narrow your tires get ergo less traction. This is why you see wider tires for drag/race cars.

Not doubting you, but my tires are sitting at 36psi and I have a BD also, are you sure 39psi what they should be set at? I'll look at mine in the morning to verify I'm not running low. And the AT3's are a great tire, I have them on my truck with no issues. From time to time I feel the floating sensation from the back tires but I keep them 5psi over for when the trailer is on.
I went and checked and the door says 39psi. Yes you could say it feels like floating and yes itā€™s the rear tires. Is this normal with these Toyo at3ā€™s?
Sponsored

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Could it maybe be that youā€™re getting more lateral flex in the sidewalls because the rim is kind of wide for that tire width? Your tire is only 1.5ā€ wider than the rim. Iā€™ve never run a large diameter tire on wheels that were less than 2.5ā€ under the tire width. Right now, Iā€™m running the same size rim as you with a 35x12.50 and donā€™t have any of that feeling even at 35lbs with mud tires that have large tread blocks. The stock Sasquatch wheels are a half inch narrower for a tire almost two inches wider. Iā€™m no physics professor and probably canā€™t explain it correctly, especially without drawing pictures, but it makes sense in my little brain that you would get more side to side flex the more vertical the sidewalls are. Itā€™s also quite possible that Iā€™m full of shit and donā€™t know wtf Iā€™m talking about.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My guesses
  1. Alignment
  2. Taller tread blocks
  3. Wheel balance (lateral runout issue)
Edit: if the alignment doesn't work, I would ask if they can road force your tires.

Last edited:

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Could it maybe be that youā€™re getting more lateral flex in the sidewalls because the rim is kind of wide for that tire width? Your tire is only 1.5ā€ wider than the rim. Iā€™ve never run a large diameter tire on wheels that were less than 2.5ā€ under the tire width. Right now, Iā€™m running the same size rim as you with a 35x12.50 and donā€™t have any of that feeling even at 35lbs with mud tires that have large tread blocks. The stock Sasquatch wheels are a half inch narrower for a tire almost two inches wider. Iā€™m no physics professor and probably canā€™t explain it correctly, especially without drawing pictures, but it makes sense in my little brain that you would get more side to side flex the more vertical the sidewalls are. Itā€™s also quite possible that Iā€™m full of shit and donā€™t know wtf Iā€™m talking about.
It does list the 17x9 as the maximum approved rim width for that tire on the Toyo website, but I think if you went to a narrower wheel, it might take out some of the lateral flex in the sidewall.
Ford Bronco Tire stability on narrow tires 62155D88-50CE-418C-B343-638C6FCD11EB

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with 35x10.5 Kenda RTs and have no issues at 40psi.

As far as tire pressure, anytime I change wheels, tires, or normal payload; I will ignore the factory suggestions.

I like to do the chalk test, where you use sidewalk chalk and clean concrete to get a clear indication of how the tread is contacting the pavement. If the tread pattern on the concrete is lighter on the outside than the center of the tread, you're overinflated.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I went with 35x10.5 Kenda RTs and have no issues at 40psi.

As far as tire pressure, anytime I change wheels, tires, or normal payload; I will ignore the factory suggestions.

I like to do the chalk test, where you use sidewalk chalk and clean concrete to get a clear indication of how the tread is contacting the pavement. If the tread pattern on the concrete is lighter on the outside than the center of the tread, you're overinflated.
Yes that's exactly it

Also short wheel base at high speed on bad roads doesn't help

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
blow up the tires...40 is too low

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey everyone,

I just recently installed my new wheels and tires. I chose to go with 17x9 and 34"x10.5" Toyo AT3 D Load tires. I noticed today on the freeway around 70mph that it feels (for lack of a better term) kind of "squirrelly". This is on a Black Diamond with 1" leveling kit. It felt much more grounded with the stock tires.

Do you think it would be better with a slightly wider 285/75/17 or 285/70/17 which are about .7" wider? I drove a 3" lifted 4runner on 297/70/17 before this bronco, and it didn't feel loose like this. The bronco actually felt great on the stock tires, so I'm wondering if it's the narrower tires with increased height. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

pic is for reference

Ford Bronco Tire stability on narrow tires 62155D88-50CE-418C-B343-638C6FCD11EB
That is something on the ground under the truck

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™d lower them to 35 psi , at least in the rear, and give it a test.
I came here to say the same. Sounds like the pressures are too high. Larger volume tires does not mean higher pressures. The opposite actually. Ever notice on tiny road bike tires, the pressures are crazy high, but balloon tires are low?

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unless you are hauling some serious weight, you do not need more PSI.

PSI is a function of weight rating for the specific size tire you have. It does not matter what the door sticker says if you are not running the exact tire size on the sticker, as each size tire has a different rating at a particular PSI. Also, the door sticker PSI is based on GVWR. If you are never at that weight, you don't need that PSI.

Start at the beginning and get an alignment. Then go from there. You changed the suspension so that should be your first priority. After an alignment, look for other issues. Toyo ATIIIs are good tires, but you could have some balance issues in either the new tires or wheels. Adjust air pressure down as well. Could also be partly the really wide wheel and narrow tire.

Last edited:

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I read the Toyo AT3 was a pretty good tire. I use to run Nitto Ridgegrapplers. Should i have went KO2 instead?
What Iā€™m about to say is sacrilege:
KO2ā€˜s on my Tacoma were the worst. No kidding.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unless you are hauling some serious weight, you do not need more PSI.

PSI is a function of weight rating for the specific size tire you have. It does not matter what the door sticker says if you are not running the exact tire size on the sticker, as each size tire has a different rating at a particular PSI. Also, the door sticker PSI is based on GVWR. If you are never at that weight, you don't need that PSI.

Start at the beginning and get an alignment. Then go from there. You changed the suspension so that should be your first priority. After an alignment, look for other issues. Toyo ATIIIs are good tires, but you could have some balance issues in either the new tires or wheels. Adjust air pressure down as well. Could also be partly the really wide wheel and narrow tire.
What he said.

1. Alignment. Doesn't matter if it tracks straight or not.
2. Lower your air pressure. Higher load rating tires (like D / E) are rated at certain LBS of weight for each tire based on a certain PSI

Find a Load D tire PSI chart and go from there. I can tell you there is NO WAY you need 40psi in those tires.

Our '22 dr BB got 17x8.5" (0 Offset) wheels and 315/70/17 Load E tires the day we picked it up from the dealer. (Zero lift / spacers BTW - removed crash bars. No run / scrub lock to lock even under flex).

I did the math (Load E tires / actual weight of the Bronco etc) and got a starting point. I run 'em at 32 psi and it's rock solid stable to 80mph.

You want to know why so many people add bigger LT tires to trucks / SUVs and then gripe about how "harsh" the ride it? Because they have way too much air in them.

Recommended PSI for your tires is based on the LOAD Range / Size of the tire and Gross Vehicle Weight.

I can almost GUARANTEE you that if you lowered your air pressure to 34-35psi it would ride / handle better.

I remember buying an older Miata for almost NOTHING. Kid says his Dad said the suspension was totally worn out and needed replacing and it had a blown head gasket. Got it for $150 ($50 more than the junk car guy was offering him). It was a cut radiator hose. (yes I'm serious) and it had BRAND NEW Michelin tires on it that were aired up to 40psi. That thing jumped around on the road like it was trying to wreck.

Recommend tire psi for that car (remember it's based on WEIGHT) was 26psi. Aired 'em down, replaced the radiator hose and ran the hell out of that car (like a go cart) and sold it for a nice profit a month later.

I don't even run 40PSI in my F150 with Load E when towing my tractor / equipment trailer.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What Iā€™m about to say is sacrilege:
KO2ā€˜s on my Tacoma were the worst. No kidding.
Truth! And on my 1989 Toyota Pickup, they were like plastic death rollers in Winter. Had to air 'em down to like 18 or some shit.
Sponsored