Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey everyone,

I just recently installed my new wheels and tires. I chose to go with 17x9 and 34"x10.5" Toyo AT3 D Load tires. I noticed today on the freeway around 70mph that it feels (for lack of a better term) kind of "squirrelly". This is on a Black Diamond with 1" leveling kit. It felt much more grounded with the stock tires.

Do you think it would be better with a slightly wider 285/75/17 or 285/70/17 which are about .7" wider? I drove a 3" lifted 4runner on 297/70/17 before this bronco, and it didn't feel loose like this. The bronco actually felt great on the stock tires, so I'm wondering if it's the narrower tires with increased height. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

pic is for reference

Ford Bronco Tire stability on narrow tires bronco_A024
Sponsored

Last edited:

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you get an alignment after the level kit?

Width will have basically zero effect on feel until you get crazy wide.
With that said, offset and alignment will both play a huge role in how the vehicle feels.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Stock tires are the same width.

Could be the new tread blocks. Maybe thicker? Or just different tires feeling different.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, I may be wrong. But zoom in to the left front (right tire on this pic) and it looks like one one rod is hanging, not attached?

Probably just optical trickery...

I have a BD and upgraded to 285/70/17 with zero offset, so I got more poke and a little wider tires, drives like a dream. Maybe the 1" level install was not done correctly, did they perform an alignment?

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Width of the tire is not your issue.

OP
OP
Zen89

Zen89

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you get an alignment after the level kit?

Width will have basically zero effect on feel until you get crazy wide.
With that said, offset and alignment will both play a huge role in how the vehicle feels.
I didn't get the alignment done yet as I just got the tires put on a few days ago, but it doesn't drift or always feel loose. It just doesn't feel well grounded. Mainly just at 70mph or higher on the freeway. I was going to get the alignment this weekend but wasn't sure if I should try and change to a wider tire first instead.

OP
OP
Zen89

Zen89

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some tires are just more squirrelly than others. Tread blocks, construction, etc.
I read the Toyo AT3 was a pretty good tire. I use to run Nitto Ridgegrapplers. Should i have went KO2 instead?

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tires feel squirrelly when they are low on pressure or if they use larger tread blocks. This is because the blocks shift on a hard surface creating that feeling. With low tire pressure, the sidewall flex can make it feel squirrelly too.

OP
OP
Zen89

Zen89

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tires feel squirrelly when they are low on pressure or if they use larger tread blocks. This is because the blocks shift on a hard surface creating that feeling. With low tire pressure, the sidewall flex can make it feel squirrelly too.
I'm running it at 40psi, i think it's max 55 or 60. Should I increase it? I'd rather not have the ride too harsh

Sponsored

CP650

First Name
C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A slightly narrower tire isn't going to cause this issue. Like others have said, one of two things is mostly likely causing this. An alignment issue or it's the tire tread that just rides different than the other tread. You should get an alignment regardless if you lifted it any.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm running it at 40psi, i think it's max 55 or 60. Should I increase it? I'd rather not have the ride too harsh
Since it's easy to try it with more air, add more air. But don't go with what the tire says instead go with the air amount that is on the label in the door jamb which is the recommendation by the factory. Take it for a drive and see if that helps. If it doesn't change, then that's not it, and you can move onto looking at other possibilities like alignment.

OP
OP
Zen89

Zen89

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since it's easy to try it with more air, add more air. But don't go with what the tire says instead go with the air amount that is on the label in the door jamb which is the recommendation by the factory. Take it for a drive and see if that helps. If it doesn't change, then that's not it, and you can move onto looking at other possibilities like alignment.
the door says 39psi so I’m on par at 40psi. I’ve driven a truck before with a lift before it got aligned and it doesn’t feel like that. It’s not a wobbly or a drift to one side or the other, it’s almost like it loses grip or sways for a half second then grabs again. Like driving in the rain on bald tires.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok, I may be wrong. But zoom in to the left front (right tire on this pic) and it looks like one one rod is hanging, not attached?

Probably just optical trickery...

I have a BD and upgraded to 285/70/17 with zero offset, so I got more poke and a little wider tires, drives like a dream. Maybe the 1" level install was not done correctly, did they perform an alignment?
That's a stick bud lol

the door says 39psi so I’m on par at 40psi. I’ve driven a truck before with a lift before it got aligned and it doesn’t feel like that. It’s not a wobbly or a drift to one side or the other, it’s almost like it loses grip or sways for a half second then grabs again. Like driving in the rain on bald tires.
Would you say like you're floating?
That's more of a symptom of over filled not under filled tires, since when you drive the faster you drive the more narrow your tires get ergo less traction. This is why you see wider tires for drag/race cars.

Not doubting you, but my tires are sitting at 36psi and I have a BD also, are you sure 39psi what they should be set at? I'll look at mine in the morning to verify I'm not running low. And the AT3's are a great tire, I have them on my truck with no issues. From time to time I feel the floating sensation from the back tires but I keep them 5psi over for when the trailer is on.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even a change in air pressure can make a big difference in feel. Believe it or not, you've actually made quite a big change with the tires. You've gone to a more aggressive tread pattern AND a higher load rating. This can completely change the driving characteristics as tread block and sidewall deflection are going to be very different between the two tires.
Sponsored