First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're better off buying a steak and letting it age two weeks before resale than thinking a Bronco is going to fund your retirement in 55 years. Average return adjusted for inflation in stocks since 1966 gives about 41 times the initial investment. $2200 base price means you would have to get about $90k for it to be even. Hell, there will be a enough ultra low mile FE's out there in 25 years to make them fairly common as collector cars go, thus keeping the value low. Keeping the defective top will help less than keeping all the swag unopened in the original envelopes (might as well give up if you don't have every bit of that stuff that match for top dollar in the future)...
Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All TSB recalls the dealers are required to send parts back to Ford for inspection and disposal. No chance they will let you keep it.

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two thoughts...
1. I thought there was mention that new MICs were using the old glass so you would only have one set of glass with replacement.
2. What happens if you keep the 1.0 and 6 months or year down the road it starts leaking and rattling or splitting as some of the edges? Will a recall top be available? Not sure if there is a time limit on how long Ford will ship replacement tops.

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you have a FE with a v1 roof snd you are going to store it and put zero miles on it for 20 years then yes keep the top don’t swap. But if you are going to drive it the value won’t be there

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are happy with your MIC 1.0, you could make a little $$ selling your 2.0 to someone who ordered the soft-top to speed up their order.
Can’t get the 2.0 without turning in the 1.0. If that were possible somehow, yes i would buy someone’s 1.0…let me know if you have one (4dr).

Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All TSB recalls the dealers are required to send parts back to Ford for inspection and disposal. No chance they will let you keep it.
lol they ain’t gonna send those tops back to Ford...the costs would be astronomical. And this is not a recall for anything mechanically wrong with the top Or that it has safety issues. .Ford has said over and over that it’s strictly cosmetic.

I have heard people say ..”they want to get those tops off the streets” ...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..you have got to be kidding me. They don’t care about that..do you know how much crap they let stay on the streets? (not just Ford). They did what they did, not because they wanted a better product for those with existing tops on the streets..no no no no. They looked to see if they could repair them at the dealers (couldn’t) ..then they looked to see if they could adjust the manufacturing process with existing tooling at manufacturer (couldn’t) ..if they could then they probably would have let all those tops at dirt mountain that passed min standards get delivered. Then it would be a case by case basis...if you complained about it you would hear the dealer say (that is what they are supposed to look like from the factory). I can’t tell you how many times quality of fit and finish on all cars this happens to. Do you think the carpet on the inside of the top was something Ford gave you free for sound proofing, no no no, it was to cover up the finish on the inside. But In this case because it was so on a large percentage they had to get new tooling air lifted in. If Ford changed the tooling on A brand new product and sent existing tops out..they would have knowingly allowed that. At that point legal steps in and says no no no ..full stop. Otherwise would be easy legal case to lose with one of the various law firms that goes after auto manufacturers. For example, Audi has a start stop system that causes delayed braking (kinda dangerous and currently in litigation) but they allowed them to be sold And put on streets.

Ford does not need a single Top back for inspection..they have thousands of them at dirt mountain, Ford does not need them back to prevent someone from trying to get a new top off of an old one. Ea Bronco owner’s VIN keeps that from happening. You are not required to get a new top, it’s totally up to you. As for keeping your old top, It’s totally up to the dealer..more than likely the dealer will Not destroy the top, but just call a scrap processor ..same one that picks up their body shop scrap (usually sent to metal recycle etc ).

my guess you can keep your old top (for trail use etc) all depends on how bad you want it .if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You're better off buying a steak and letting it age two weeks before resale than thinking a Bronco is going to fund your retirement in 55 years.
Fund my retirement???

Average return adjusted for inflation in stocks since 1966 gives about 41 times the initial investment.
Thanks, stocks paid for this Bronco already.

If you have a FE with a v1 roof snd you are going to store it and put zero miles on it for 20 years then yes keep the top don’t swap. But if you are going to drive it the value won’t be there
I don’t think anyone actually cares about the FE badge. Not now, not ever.

I don’t have a four door softie lol. This thing is a classic no matter how many miles are put on it, just gotta take care of it.

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As a classic bronco restorer , I can tell you that just because the top came with your bronco its not going to make it worth any more, after time most guys go topless or even soft top ,besides that after 45 years or so most original tops are rusted out, who know how long the MIC tops will even hold out.
I can put a top off a 72 and put it on a 76 and the only thing anyone cares about is what condition it is in and dose it leak.
Plastic roof panels do not rust in the traditional sense. The stain-less (not stainproof) fasteners might and the MIC 1.0 is being replaced partly due to environmental exposure (meaning they were only meant for indoor use, lol). When's the last time you saw rust on a 'vette or Avanti, or Fiero?

Now, to that 72 top on a 76, if there are any date codes on either piece your customer will lose concours points

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As always the only way something really becomes a “classic” is that demand far outstrips supply for it thus driving the price up. Just don’t see it long term with the 21s. Likely the best arbitrage bet is right now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Now, to that 72 top on a 76, if there are any date codes on either piece your customer will lose concours points
The date on the MIC is what prompted me to think about keeping it. I doubt MIC 2.0 is going to be quieter or even fix the leaking airbag beam, so why not keep it just in case, is my thinking.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can’t get the 2.0 without turning in the 1.0. If that were possible somehow, yes i would buy someone’s 1.0…let me know if you have one (4dr).
The dealers are not required to visit you to swap roofs and in fact it is, like even safety recalls, purely voluntary. If an owner does not participate in the recall they will continue to get notifications from Ford every 3 months like clockwork but there are no national recall police knocking at your door.

So, sure, someone in sunny CA or AZ (forget FL due to hurricane season) decides to forgo the recall and go topless, nothing I know of prevents them selling their 1.0 roof, or even take delivery of the 2.0 and sell it. Either way, chalk me up for a 4 door as I had to go softtop only to get built before 2023 (original modular top and could only switch to soft, not MIC)

Can anyone answer do the tops have serial numbers and if so just on the clamshell or on all 4 pieces and then is there a secret Ford list that ties the top s/n to the vehicle?

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was thinking take off the MIC 1.0 at home and go collect the 2.0. Keep the spare parts if they fit. I know MFs that have a cache of F-body t-tops & rear hatch glass, and sell them for their weight in gold.

In a few years someone needs a driver front roof panel, and bam someone just scored a viable replacement.
Wrong....

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fact you’re even asking this question shows how stupid collectors are. Wtf would you want with a recalled, leaky ass top?

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The dealers are not required to visit you to swap roofs and in fact it is, like even safety recalls, purely voluntary. If an owner does not participate in the recall they will continue to get notifications from Ford every 3 months like clockwork but there are no national recall police knocking at your door.

So, sure, someone in sunny CA or AZ (forget FL due to hurricane season) decides to forgo the recall and go topless, nothing I know of prevents them selling their 1.0 roof, or even take delivery of the 2.0 and sell it. Either way, chalk me up for a 4 door as I had to go softtop only to get built before 2023 (original modular top and could only switch to soft, not MIC)

Can anyone answer do the tops have serial numbers and if so just on the clamshell or on all 4 pieces and then is there a secret Ford list that ties the top s/n to the vehicle?
I never said they’ll come knocking at your door, but how will someone be able to get the 2.0 without trading in their 1.0? One must bring the 1.0 for a 2.0 swap…how will someone get to keep both is what i was implying…
Sponsored