Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When it comes down to pretending you're the most endowed guy in a group during these modern times, please remember this and only this:

Driving a manual transmission absolutely adds more length AND girth in your buddies eyes than having a 2.7 ltr engine but it's an automatic. And double that length for the ladies.

Okay, now we can return to the usual "My Bronco needs the 2.7 because it's a bigger motor" American diatribes.
I wish sometimes that they hadn't given two engine options when I read the hundreds of posts like this one. I do want to drive somebody's 2-door 2.7L just to see how it feels, but the manual makes me feel more connected and will keep at least some people from asking to drive my Bronco.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

, but the manual makes me feel more connected and will keep at least some people from asking to drive my Bronco.
I guess I've never beeen able to quantify how much that connection accounts for....until I try to teach my 15yo daughter how to drive a manual on a peaky turbo 4...LOL.
I am NOT saying turbo 4's are peaky, I AM saying this one is.....it's WRX motor in an even heavier Legacy. It's absolutely gutless under 2k rpm. Driving that thing at parking lot speeds is a bitch.

Back to OP:
Gearing.... Ford has done an excellent job matching the tire sizes to the gearing. So simply stating "get the 4.7" only works better if you can keep the 33's vs the 35's.
The only one I do not like is the 3.73 with the 6cyl, but it apparently works well in the trucks.

Motor... I pretty much agree with Mr. Astley, BUT .....for consideration's sake, The 2.7 is making a great name for itself, not just because of good power numbers, but in reliability also. In a truck it REALLY matters HOW that power is delivered and the 2.7 delivers it over a very broad, flat power curve or rpm range, which is the ideal for daily drivers, trucks and tow vehicles.

I really have no idea how well the 2.3 works, but there are A LOT of positive comments on this forum for that motor also. Considering that it makes more power than the V8's that were ever offered in the Broncos, the love for the 2.3 is probably justified.

It has been suggested to go to your dealer and test drive a crew cab 4x4 Ranger to get an idea how well that 2.3L will work for you. Similar size and weight vehicle.

The F150 uses the 2.7 in some of its variants, so you could cruise one of those also.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Motor... I pretty much agree with Mr. Astley, BUT .....for consideration's sake, The 2.7 is making a great name for itself, not just because of good power numbers, but in reliability also.

. It has been suggested to go to your dealer and test drive a crew cab 4x4 Ranger to get an idea how well that 2.3L will work for you. Similar size and weight vehicle.
The main complaints about the 2.7 are minimal, but a plastic oil pan with a plastic bung that gets stripped suuuuuuuuuuper easy is more of a worry to me than fuel dilution in about .015% of Rangers. That's an issue on every F150 at all times. There are work around, sure, but there are work around around fuel dilution.

And agree, people should go drive the Ranger. But ONLY if you put it in sport mode and lock it out of 7th, 8th and 9th gear. That will give you a better comparison to a Bronco with manual transmission.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

And agree, people should go drive the Ranger. But ONLY if you put it in sport mode and lock it out of 7th, 8th and 9th gear. That will give you a better comparison to a Bronco with manual transmission.
Yes this is a big question. The main complaint seems to be with the transmission and not the engine itself. I think I'll give that a shot.

mtnmaxman600

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, 2001 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am on the fence on which gear ratio to get . I am getting the outer banks 4 door with the 2.7 litre engine and 10 speed automatic. The question is 3.73 or 4.27 gear ratio. The plan for the Bronco is a daily driver which will involve towing our 17 foot fishing boat and 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer. Will I notice much difference between these 2 ratios on the interstate driving at 70 to 80 mph. Will the towing be better with the 4.27 locking diff. or the 3.73 open diff. There is a price difference between the 2 options of about 2k. Looking for a little input. Thanks

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am on the fence on which gear ratio to get . I am getting the outer banks 4 door with the 2.7 litre engine and 10 speed automatic. The question is 3.73 or 4.27 gear ratio. The plan for the Bronco is a daily driver which will involve towing our 17 foot fishing boat and 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer. Will I notice much difference between these 2 ratios on the interstate driving at 70 to 80 mph. Will the towing be better with the 4.27 locking diff. or the 3.73 open diff. There is a price difference between the 2 options of about 2k. Looking for a little input. Thanks
A quick online search shows that newer F-150s run 3.73 as the lowest gear ratio, and in those trucks the 2.7/10A is rated for upwards of 10,000lbs. I don't know the exact tire size comparison between an F-150 and the OBX but they're likely similar. In general you'll get more towing power out of lower gears, but at 3500lb max tow rating it's not going to be needed.
Sponsored