Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Western NC is probably better known for incredible driving roads than off road, but I'm sure there are some great trails up off the Blue Ridge Parkway and around Chimney Rock just south of A'ville. Depending on the weather, take the Blue Ridge out of Asheville NE 35 mi. up to the Pisgah National Forest and look for the turnoff to Mount Mitchell, the highest point east of the Rockies at 6684 ft. There's a great observation and rest area up there, if warm enough a picnic up there is a great afternoon. Or head west out of Asheville on US 64 through Brevard, Cashiers and Highlands, beautiful roads, lots of waterfalls and great little restaurants in Highlands. Waynesville to the NW of Asheville is a good day trip as well. Hopefully the weather is warm enough to open up the top on your Bronco and enjoy a beautiful slice of America.
Since I am from Illinois, everything is flat around here. Asheville area has a billion more offroading trails than I am used to in my area. I have a car group that used to always go to tail of the dragon, which seems awesome, but even with my weekend fun car, I'd rather enjoy nature over ripping around on roads. Although I do enjoy going fast.
Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Since I am from Illinois, everything is flat around here. Asheville area has a billion more offroading trails than I am used to in my area. I have a car group that used to always go to tail of the dragon, which seems awesome, but even with my weekend fun car, I'd rather enjoy nature over ripping around on roads. Although I do enjoy going fast.
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and the thing I found amazing when I moved to NC was the mountains, beaches, and trees, so many trees. In IL we had forest preserves which is a little park with some trees. :) IL like most of the midwest is just so damn flat!

OP
OP
Hot cheetos

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and the thing I found amazing when I moved to NC was the mountains, beaches, and trees, so many trees. In IL we had forest preserves which is a little park with some trees. :) IL like most of the midwest is just so damn flat!
Agreed, we luckily found a house with a huge ravine in the backyard and a large creek running through it that is the size of some smaller rivers and it is all wooded. So we get a little slice of nature at our house, but generally IL is about as boring as it gets.

It does make traveling that much more special though!

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Buxton Hall Barbecue...

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Except for Indiana :)
Took a trip through Pennsylvania, Virginia, W. Virginia, N. Carolina ..... I am now SMITTEN with the country side in that area.
One leg through the Shenandoah area, I was ready to trade the 4dr Bronco in for a Camaro SS ... manual.

Turns so tight going through the hills and mountains ... I thought I saw my own tail lights a few times!!!

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hurricane creek is not extreme by any stretch but there are a handful of spots that were more challenging /technical than I expected. We had one vehicle break a CV trying to power over one spot. Fun trail, just throwing that out as you mentioned you'll be alone and not super experienced.

OP
OP
Hot cheetos

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Of all the states I’ve driven through, Indiana is pretty rough. Ironically driving to Indy for work tomorrow. Cops there seem to all hate everyone for some reason.

The worst is Nebraska though
Hurricane creek is not extreme by any stretch but there are a handful of spots that were more challenging /technical than I expected. We had one vehicle break a CV trying to power over one spot. Fun trail, just throwing that out as you mentioned you'll be alone and not super experienced.
I appreciate that. I have been thinking about that, I have seen videos of the spot with the tree to the right and a bunch of roots and rocks. I’d like to think with lockers and the cameras I wouldn’t have to power over anything, but you are probably right that I should not risk it

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Took a trip through Pennsylvania, Virginia, W. Virginia, N. Carolina ..... I am now SMITTEN with the country side in that area.
One leg through the Shenandoah area, I was ready to trade the 4dr Bronco in for a Camaro SS ... manual.

Turns so tight going through the hills and mountains ... I thought I saw my own tail lights a few times!!!
Drove up to WV last April to pick up my '23 Bronco, bought it from a small dealer in nowhereville, WV. I honestly don't remember the name. Drove through some beautiful parts of WV, stopped off at Harpers Ferry, if you never have been it is such a picturesque place, nice National Park. The Shenandoah Valley and the Skyline Drive are great.

Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Of all the states I’ve driven through, Indiana is pretty rough. Ironically driving to Indy for work tomorrow. Cops there seem to all hate everyone for some reason.

The worst is Nebraska though
I use to drive through Indiana when I was first moving to NC, I 65 is one of the most boring drives, nothing to see, and I would agree with Nebraska but a lot of the midwest farm belt is just flat farm fields, miles and miles of them. I'm mean thank god because they feed us but boring to drive through.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO I-57 makes I-65 seem like an amusement park ride by comparison. A million years ago my little brother was attending SIU and the drive on I-57 from Chicago to Carbondale is torture. Once out of the metro area it's a straight line that makes it seem like you are driving in circles. Every on/off ramp interchange looks identical including the same chain resto's and gas stations and after a while it's normal to ask "Didn't we just drive thru this 1/2 an hour ago?". I know nothing about Effingham other than it is a magical moment when you get near because . . . thar be hills!!! Yes, sweet, sweet undulating Earth! They'll never be confused for the Smokies but it provides a break from the mindless monotony. There's a reason those north of the Cheddar Curtain refer to us as "flatlanders" (FIB's, too, but that's another tale). I've driven I-65 a lot - either visiting family in SC or heading down to the Gulf coast - it's long and boring but so, so much better than I-57. I think if I had to go back to Carbondale (thankfully I can't imagine that) at this point I'd probably fly to St. Louis and rent a ride rather than make that drive again.

OP - I really look forward to your trip report. My sister has a house up in the western NC mountains (Cedar Mountain) and I've been curious about off-roading options within a day's drive-and-back range of her.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't mind Nebraska as I have a ton of family there to visit with and break up the trip. But I get where the rest of you are coming from.

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn’t waste a nice Spring day at the Biltmore 😆
Go to Cherokee, Pisgah, or Nantahala National Forests and find a forest road.
Sponsored