Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@Turn Offroad @TURN Todd What is the interior cavity of the top like? Similar to the OEM top or does it have an injection foam similar to those other guys that can't seem to actually produce a top?
We actually borrow a technique used in aerospace and use a honeycomb somewhat similar to factory but the major difference is it is completely coated in resin and allowed to dry before we put the final layer of fiberglass.

This adds a lot of material costs to the production which is why they skip this with the OEM tops but the result is what makes our tops so strong. It’s also really good insulation because of all of the tiny pockets of air.

The problem with the OEM top is that they lay it all up super thin and then the cardboard that they put in the middle is completely dry and not at all penetrated with resin. This makes production cheaper but doesn’t create nearly as durable of a product.

The OEM top has given the use of honeycomb a bad reputation but when executed correctly it really is the most tried and true way to build strong fiberglass parts. It’s used everywhere from space shuttles to the blades on wind driven generators.

Foam doesn’t provide any support or rigidity and basically just fills a gap left after gluing the inner and outer portions of a product together.

Hope that helps shed some light!
Sponsored

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We actually borrow a technique used in aerospace and use a honeycomb somewhat similar to factory but the major difference is it is completely coated in resin and allowed to dry before we put the final layer of fiberglass.

This adds a lot of material costs to the production which is why they skip this with the OEM tops but the result is what makes our tops so strong. It’s also really good insulation because of all of the tiny pockets of air.

The problem with the OEM top is that they lay it all up super thin and then the cardboard that they put in the middle is completely dry and not at all penetrated with resin. This makes production cheaper but doesn’t create nearly as durable of a product.

The OEM top has given the use of honeycomb a bad reputation but when executed correctly it really is the most tried and true way to build strong fiberglass parts. It’s used everywhere from space shuttles to the blades on wind driven generators.

Foam doesn’t provide any support or rigidity and basically just fills a gap left after gluing the inner and outer portions of a product together.

Great explanation, thank you

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey all, got around to having my local shop install the TrailRax roof rack on the hard top. Here's some photos so everyone thinking of doing the same can see what the end product looks like!

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_3922

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_3923
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_3924
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_3925
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_3926
Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_3921

IMG_3926.jpg

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Since bees have used honeycomb for millions of years I kinda trust the design. It's the execution of that design that matters. Ford appears to be following the bee species that died out.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So for the folks who have mentioned a squeaking or other weird noise coming from the rear of their Bronco, it may have nothing to do with the hard top.

Some of you may have seen my updated build journal, where I posted on Friday I had a TOR tailgate reinforcement bracket installed on my Bronco. Since then, most of the "weird" noises I thought might be hardtop related, have stopped. I suspect much of that noise was related to the tailgate/spare tire. This is just an assumption, but it has significantly reduced any noise over the weekend (and some points I've been driving with my music turned off, going over bumps and such, to test my theory).

Most of us had a soft top previously, and it was so loud that you didn't hear much else than what was outside. Now that it's quieter inside the cab, you can hear more of the vehicle "stuff." Just some food for thought - Someone might be able to test this theory by simply removing their spare tire and going for a drive. It should have a similar impact from my reinforcement bracket, although not exactly the same (it's much stiffer back there now with the bracket).

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So for the folks who have mentioned a squeaking or other weird noise coming from the rear of their Bronco, it may have nothing to do with the hard top.

Some of you may have seen my updated build journal, where I posted on Friday I had a TOR tailgate reinforcement bracket installed on my Bronco. Since then, most of the "weird" noises I thought might be hardtop related, have stopped. I suspect much of that noise was related to the tailgate/spare tire. This is just an assumption, but it has significantly reduced any noise over the weekend (and some points I've been driving with my music turned off, going over bumps and such, to test my theory).

Most of us had a soft top previously, and it was so loud that you didn't hear much else than what was outside. Now that it's quieter inside the cab, you can hear more of the vehicle "stuff." Just some food for thought - Someone might be able to test this theory by simply removing their spare tire and going for a drive. It should have a similar impact from my reinforcement bracket, although not exactly the same (it's much stiffer back there now with the bracket).
I didn't get to put on the TOR tire carrier today so hopefully tomorrow. Love the idea and the tire carrier bearing the weight of the tailgate vs the other way around.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't get to put on the TOR tire carrier today so hopefully tomorrow. Love the idea and the tire carrier bearing the weight of the tailgate vs the other way around.
Have you (or anyone else) found the B pillar hard top bolts need re-torquing every couple of weeks? It was just the bolt and washer up there, correct? There’s no locking washer? I’m considering adding some blue thread locker as a solution, but curious if it’s just me with this issue?

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you (or anyone else) found the B pillar hard top bolts need re-torquing every couple of weeks? It was just the bolt and washer up there, correct? There’s no locking washer? I’m considering adding some blue thread locker as a solution, but curious if it’s just me with this issue?
I've been meaning to check mine but haven't had a chance.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been meaning to check mine but haven't had a chance.
You don’t even need to pop the targa top off to check - Just reach up and you can feel the bolt. Mine was so loose I could finger-tighten it without taking the panel off. When I got home, I popped it off and added a bit of blue thread locker.

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've checked mine a couple times, and they were good and tight.

Sponsored

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

This has been my theory since I first noticed the noise.
Just haven't had the time to confirm/test.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been my theory since I first noticed the noise.
Just haven't had the time to confirm/test.
Well pop off that spare tire and go for a drive!

It's for science!

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well pop off that spare tire and go for a drive!

It's for science!
My spare tire is off as well, unfortunately so is my tailgate. Hit a snag installing the tire carrier. It actually is starting to resemble the Bronco DR... the possibilities. :ROFLMAO:

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My spare tire is off as well, unfortunately so is my tailgate. Hit a snag installing the tire carrier. It actually is starting to resemble the Bronco DR... the possibilities. :ROFLMAO:
Are you installing the TOR carrier? I did mine this past weekend. It closes fine and is level but the gap on the handle side got much bigger and obviously smaller on the hinge side. Perfectly level and and operates fine but I can't figure out how to get it centered again. Anyone have any suggestions let me know.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you installing the TOR carrier? I did mine this past weekend. It closes fine and is level but the gap on the handle side got much bigger and obviously smaller on the hinge side. Perfectly level and and operates fine but I can't figure out how to get it centered again. Anyone have any suggestions let me know.
Check with Todd probably. If it was an issue then it probably wouldn't latch. The freight carrier had dropped/hit mine right on one to the arms that attaches to the hinge. New one being sent today, then I could probably see about the gaps.
Sponsored