Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a 23 Badlands and a Jeep curious if they make a recovery kit that would work on both? Heading to the Outer Banks and planning a four week trip out west. We live in Florida and would like to use both vehicles. Thank you.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why they do sell recovery kits, most are overpriced, incomplete and/or have unnecessary items. You can probably find a basic kit and then just add to it as needed. And yes, most recovery gear is "universal" and not vehicle specific. I suggest you do some research and read up on recovery basics. However, a good recovery gear starter kit includes, but certainly not limited too:

1. shackles (hard, soft or both depending on recovery points and other gear)
2. snatch rope
3. tow strap
4. gloves
5. basic tool set
6. tire plug kit
7. storage bag or tote
8. small shovel
9. gorilla tape
10. tarp
11. a wheeling buddy
12. spare inner tie-rod

Other items to consider:
1. winch
2. tree saver
3. recovery boards
4. air compressor

Judging by your question I am going to assume you are an off-roading novice (no problem as we all had to start somewhere and sometime). Considering meeting up with a local off-road group to get some experience and see what they are packing for gear. Also, maybe go to one of the Off-Rodeos to learn more about your Bronco and recovery gear / methods. I am sure others will chime in with their gear suggestions and fill in any blanks I may have missed.

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have a 23 Badlands and a Jeep curious if they make a recovery kit that would work on both? Heading to the Outer Banks and planning a four week trip out west. We live in Florida and would like to use both vehicles. Thank you.
@Gypsy off topic. Have you decided if you like the Bronco or Jeep better? Assuming you have a Wrangler. Or have both for different reasons.

OP
OP
Gypsy

Gypsy

Badlands
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great question. We had a 2dr Rubicon with a lift, tires, only modifications. We have a Jeep 4dr same modifications. There is just something about that Rubi, it was so much fun to drive. We live in Michigan and we did do trails, back to lakes. We trailed our boat out of some tough spots with both Jeeps. We live off a steep dirt road and in the winter it iced up and we had to come out right in the middle of the steep incline never a problem for our Jeeps. We bought the Bronco because loved the looks and we intend to do more than we did with th Jeeps
Why they do sell recovery kits, most are overpriced, incomplete and/or have unnecessary items. You can probably find a basic kit and then just add to it as needed. And yes, most recovery gear is "universal" and not vehicle specific. I suggest you do some research and read up on recovery basics. However, a good recovery gear starter kit includes, but certainly not limited too:

2. snatch rope
3. tow strap
4. gloves
5. basic tool set
6. tire plug kit
7. storage bag or tote
8. small shovel
9. gorilla tape
10. tarp
11. a wheeling buddy
12. spare inner tie-rod

Other items to consider:
1. winch
2. tree saver
3. recovery boards
4. air compressor

Judging by your question I am going to assume you are an off-roading novice (no problem as we all had to start somewhere and sometime). Considering meeting up with a local off-road group to get some experience and see what they are packing for gear. Also, maybe go to one of the Off-Rodeos to learn more about your Bronco and recovery gear / methods. I am sure others will chime in with their gear suggestions and fill in any blanks I may have missed.
Just mild in Michigan where we used to live. There were trails that led back to lakes with our boat it was pretty muddy plus so many other trails and our Jeeps never had a problem. But now we intend to do more. We are planning to go to the Off-Rodeos just can't make it this year.

Thank you for your list we had part of it but we definitely need to prepare and this was a big help. I appreciate your quick response as a newbie we are nervous and don't want to be the reason for blocking those behind us.

OP
OP
Gypsy

Gypsy

Badlands
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Gypsy off topic. Have you decided if you like the Bronco or Jeep better? Assuming you have a Wrangler. Or have both for different reasons.
I meant to say we lived in Michigan. We have since moved to Florida and we haven't driven the Bronco much. We just got it about a week ago. So far we love it, as soon as I got in it there was no learning curve I adjusted right away. It handled well, solid, rode great. We got the soft top so it will be a lot of fun. We loved the old Broncos and just had to get one.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only unique piece for a Bronco (and only if you want to) is the tie rod. Although tie rod failures may be overblown.

As for what's it like with a Bronco after owning the Jeep? Same just more comfortable.

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Realistically, recovery kits are universal other than a few spare parts. TRE's are the one thing we have for the Bronco.

Having a unique kit for every vehicle means you won't forget to pack it.

The BIG key is learning how to use the equipment. And my standard recovery gear rule is: if you can't reach it from the drivers seat, you likely don't need it :) Don't get stuck on a steep slope and have your gear buried in the back...winch controller, a soft shackle/two, tree saver, and other items to hook YOUR vehicle up should be readily accessible.

I can't count the number of "weekend" offroaders I know who have their winch controller buried in the back...if they even brought it.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only unique piece for a Bronco (and only if you want to) is the tie rod. Although tie rod failures may be overblown.
Agreed, it seems the reported failures have significantly declined since the ZOMG! I snapped a tie-rod in my driveway thread. However, for $50 it is cheap insurance.

Gregg G

Wildtrak
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2. snatch rope
3. tow strap
4. gloves
5. basic tool set
6. tire plug kit
7. storage bag or tote
8. small shovel
9. gorilla tape
10. tarp
11. a wheeling buddy
12. spare inner tie-rod

Other items to consider:
1. winch
2. tree saver
3. recovery boards
4. air compressor

This is the kind of answer we all need to give. Honest and informative not so smart ass response to a new off roader ( like myself) Greatly appreciate info like this

OP
OP
Gypsy

Gypsy

Badlands
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the kind of answer we all need to give. Honest and informative not so smart ass response to a new off roader ( like myself) Greatly appreciate info like this
Yes I agree, he helped us out a lot with making our own recovery kit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gypsy

Gypsy

Badlands
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2. snatch rope
3. tow strap
4. gloves
5. basic tool set
6. tire plug kit
7. storage bag or tote
8. small shovel
9. gorilla tape
10. tarp
11. a wheeling buddy
12. spare inner tie-rod

Other items to consider:
1. winch
2. tree saver
3. recovery boards
4. air compressor

Sorry to bother you but I have a few questions. Do you have any recommendations for:

1. Basic portable tool kit, we have a mini one for the Jeep not good enough.
2. Is there any particular size for the Shackles
3. Is 40,000 lbs. good enough for a snatch rope
4. Is 3"x30' tow strap good enough.
5. Standard or X-long recovery boards I think we are going with fold ups.

Thank you for all your help.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. Your existing tool kid will probably serve as a good base. Probably just add some of the following: large crescent wrench, channel locks, vice grips, metric socket set 8mm - 18mm, lineman's, metric allen key set
2. 3/4" with load capacity higher than snatch rop
3. 7/8" with minimum of 30k lbs capacity
4. 3x30 seems big. You can get away with a 2x20 (should only be used to pull rolling weight and not stuck weight)
5. Whatever you prefer. I got a set for Christmas a few years ago but rarely carry mine as I have a winch.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For trail tools, my thoughts are get some cheap Harbor Freight tools. Reason for this is because it’s so easy to lose tools when using out on a trail. Things drop or get left, sadly could even walk away.

I’d get a decent metric socket set from there and a standard as well, but Bronco uses metric, accessories use standard a lot. Torx and Torx+ 1/4 inch or 3/8 sockets and ratchet wrenches should be good and be cheap.

Only place I’d spend more is the snatch strap. I have a VooDoo Offroad 30K lb (I think it is), was on sale for $180 I think and got two soft shackles.

Bow shackles can be pretty cheap.

Any tire repair kit will work in a pinch

breaker bar, or a battery torque wrench. (Harbor Freight for the win here as well.). I’d like the Dewalt or Milwaukee at home.

Think recovery boards are getting better, but I have MaxTrax because I didn’t want to buy any more.

A decent portable compressor is a good investment, but doesn’t have to cost more than $250.

@BlueBronco gave a pretty comprehensive list. Them gloves will save your cakes for sure! :ROFLMAO:

I need to try out wheeling in Florida at some point.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For trail tools, my thoughts are get some cheap Harbor Freight tools.
Except channel locks. While not from HF, I broke a couple pairs of cheap hardware store channel locks by squeezing them to hard. Had I been wearing gloves I probably wouldn't have smashed my knuckles as bad. ;)

Of course, anyone who has ever worked on their own vehicle knows the job isn't complete until a blood sacrifice has been made so you may want to skip the PPE.

Some other things to consider as your kit grows:
1. Air down tool with gauge
2. Hatchet and/or small bow saw
3. Zip ties
3. Old towel
4. Battery operated impact

And I didn't mention it as it should be carried in all vehicles and NOT with the recovery gear:
1. Good first aid kit
2. Fire extinguisher
3. Flares
4. Jumper cables
5. Couple bottles of water
6. Blanket (for you northern folks)

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey @Gypsy - @BlueBronco built a solid list! Here are some quick links to products we offer. Many come in different sizes, but I grabbed the heavier variants. It's often easier to size up (assuming you are cool with spending a couple extra bucks) in case you let someone with a larger vehicle borrow your gear if they are stuck.

2. snatch rope
3. tow strap
4. gloves
5. basic tool set
6. tire plug kit
7. storage bag or tote
8. small shovel
9. gorilla tape
10. tarp
11. a wheeling buddy
12. spare inner tie-rod

Other items to consider:
1. winch
2. tree saver
3. recovery boards
4. air compressor

I'd also recommend either a Borne Off-Road 2" Hitch Receiver Shackle Mount (ideal for soft shackles) or our Borne Off-Road Shackled 2" High Receiver (already has a d-ring) for recovery from the back of your Bronco.

Let me know if you have any questions!

- John
Sponsored