Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just when I thought I knew most of the "dealer profit" addons, enter the dealer installed (against my will) Spireon/LoJack GPS tracker...

I ordered my Bronco in October of 2021 and recently took delivery. I immediately noticed the $399 addon for LoJack (and a $399 addon for some interior/exterior protection package), neither of which were offered but simply added. My salesman removed the addons upon my request. Even after removing the addons, I asked a considerable amount of questions about LoJack, including if they had already installed it and if so where it was and how it was connected. I never got a good answer from them, completed the purchase, and off I went.

I couldn't help but think that they actually installed LoJack and started reading stories about dealers tracking vehicles related to sub-prime loans and/or people being offered subscriptions to LoJack at some point down the road, with LoJack saying "Already installed on your vehicle.." There's even another tracker story on here I found (https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mysterious-black-box.48739). It only took a few seconds of looking under the dash to find what they did, or maybe more like what they didn't do (take it off). Side note, this isn't a traditional old school VHF LoJack that uses RF direction finding. This is simply a cellular based GPS tracker.

I fully understand the need for dealer asset protection and their desire to promote addons at just about any cost. I do not understand them installing it on a Bronco that had been customer ordered a long time ago, they had in their possession for around 24 hours, I paid cash for, and most importantly that I explicitly told them multiple times in multiple ways that I didn't want LoJack and how unhappy the situation was making me. Their elusiveness surrounding this completely soured my purchasing experience. Only after I discovered it and contacted them days later did they offer to remove it. Thankfully it was just a simple OBD2 extension where they popped out the factory connector. It was also just powered with no other pins connected, so it wasn't obtaining or controlling any OBD2 related functions. It took me about 15 seconds to remove.

Disclaimers: I'm not trying to start a conspiracy thread about tracking. If you have a loan you may have signed your rights away for tracking and it may even be a condition of your loan, so I'm not suggesting that you go yank your tracker off if you find one. If you want to do your own homework, Spireon purchased the LoJack name and they have heavy integration with loans, dealers, and related fleet management. (https://www.spireon.com)

Ford Bronco Unwanted dealer addons may include LoJack GPS tracker DSC03324
Ford Bronco Unwanted dealer addons may include LoJack GPS tracker DSC03326
Ford Bronco Unwanted dealer addons may include LoJack GPS tracker DSC03329
Ford Bronco Unwanted dealer addons may include LoJack GPS tracker DSC03330
Ford Bronco Unwanted dealer addons may include LoJack GPS tracker DSC03333
Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

R (7).jpeg

Finbox

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KLR650
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
was your loan with Ford credit?

OP
OP
n0xlf

n0xlf

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I paid cash.

I also changed the title since no fear mongering was intended.

Last edited:

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Pulled mine out after the first oil change I did myself and it wouldn’t stop sending notifications. Though, mine was included in the purchase at no charge.

RangerR

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak and Road Glide
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford knows where your car is through Ford Pass. If you can see it on Ford Pass so can they.

OP
OP
n0xlf

n0xlf

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The device I mentioned seems to be managed by the dealer and not Ford although it's hard to say for sure, especially if you have a Ford loan.

Sponsored

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And that's why I disabled it on mine. I do not want my Bronco communicating with the outside world.
Unless you disconnect stuff, Ford is still tracking your Bronco.

On an older Chevy I had I disconnected the Onstar system under the drivers seat. Not sure what it would it take on the Bronco but you'll lose OTA updates.

Btw I have an 890 adv too. Fun bike

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Used to pull those off with/for young privates all the time when they showed up with their brand new mustang/challenger/camaro with 34% interest rates.
My son is a USMC lieutenant and has, several times, had to get a sergeant and track down dealers and make them re-write auto (usually Wrangler, pickup, or muscle cars) loans--or get them to take the vehicle back. Worst cases are when the kid comes back from liberty and announces he just got married.

Getting back on thread, I've driven cruisers, years ago, with the 4 antennae with which we tracked--sort of--stolen cars. They weren't very precise. We'd get to a half-block at best.
Old technology.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure what it would it take on the Bronco but you'll lose OTA updates.
You can do it from the screen in the center of the instrument panel, and the number one reason I did it was to disable automatic updates. I'll make updates when _I_ want them, not when some external control randomly wants to do it.
Sponsored