Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yup, you feel my pain. Are you running the HOSS 2.0 billsteins? Someone else mentioned that the springs might "top out" the shocks and are literally preventing them from travelling much (if at all).

Ya the 964 springs are too much for the 2 door. I have a 4door carrying 300lbs of cargo and winch + bumper I have the 969 rear springs and 964 front springs I am considering dropping even softer on the front springs with my 4 door 2.7. Mine is not nearly as stiff/harsh as you describe but sits a bit higher then I want.
Sponsored

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yup, you feel my pain. Are you running the HOSS 2.0 billsteins? Someone else mentioned that the springs might "top out" the shocks and are literally preventing them from travelling much (if at all).
Yes I am running the stock HOSS 2.0 Bilsteins, mine have worked great and am quite happy with them overall. (Once I swapped to the softer 964 springs up front) I started with the stiffer 966 springs up front (what was recommended by Dobinsons listings for my set up) and they certainly caused the stock bilsteins to top out and ride higher in the travel.

I suspect the clunk is the end stop control engaging/disengaging. Since the shock is riding so much higher in its travel it cause the end stop damping to engage sooner and at slower shaft speeds so its not as smooth.

Over all I think they are a good product just takes some tuning to see what springs work best for your application and needs. It sucks you had to spend a bunch of money to find that out though. I am lucky I can swap spring myself so minimal cost, plus I have a life time alignment which helps

OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Called Eibach to get the compression ratings for their pro-lift kit -

https://eibach.com/product/E30-35-056-01-22

Told me 375lb/in on the front, and the rear is progressive from 165-288/lbs inch for the rear.

Considering my Dobinson front is 610lb/in on the front - yeah, this should me a for a much better ride experience!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Called Eibach to get the compression ratings for their pro-lift kit -

https://eibach.com/product/E30-35-056-01-22

Told me 375lb/in on the front, and the rear is progressive from 165-288/lbs inch for the rear.

Considering my Dobinson front is 610lb/in on the front - yeah, this should me a for a much better ride experience!
I have them on my 2dr and they ride nice! Definitely get a healthy lift out of them as well. Might need to add a small spacer lift to the rear, as they seem to overly "level" a 2dr. I added 2" rear lift spacers and panhard relocate for a small amount of forward rake

Sloth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is more to it than spring rate… For example, Fox uses a 365lb spring up front while King uses a 550lb spring.

My Bronco is at the shop getting the full Dobinsons install (Dobinsons IMS shocks and springs). I’m hoping to report a better ride than what you’ve experienced with springs only.

Sponsored

Sloth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Picked my Bronco up today after having the full Dobinsons IMS suspension installed. This includes the IMS shocks and the heaviest springs they offer to better support the 450 lbs of bumper/winch, full steel skids, and frame mounted rails. I only have about 40 miles on it so far, but will can say my ride is nothing like what the OP has experienced with springs alone. It’s firmer and more controlled than stock SAS, but far from harsh.

My $.02… There is nothing wrong with Dobinsons HD springs when matched with the appropriate dampers.

doyleaa

Outer Banks
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I as well have the full Dobinsons IMS suspension installed on my 22OBX non-sas. I can say after getting it dialed in, it rides great! Standard spring rate up front, heavier duty in the rear for when all my gear gets loaded up.

5CC50241-1AE0-463B-9D14-42D3F2E5EAD2.jpeg

OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update!

Finally saved up the money to fix the mistake and put in Eibach coilovers. Fixed the stance, the ride is buttery smooth, and the shocks actually work now!

SOOO... anyone need some take-off bilsteins with heavy duty Dobinson springs installed?!?

Lil Mul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2DR Badlands SAS / 2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was very happy with the results of installing Bilstein 6112's to handle the extra weight of my ARB bumper and winch. Rides better than stock. Relatively inexpensive. Upgrades you to 2.5" shock for less than everyone else's 2" coilovers. And lets you level the rake out. I might still upgrade the front springs to Bilstien's 650lbs rate spring "for people running an extra 80-150lbs" bumpers.

Zakm

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was very happy with the results of installing Bilstein 6112's to handle the extra weight of my ARB bumper and winch. Rides better than stock. Relatively inexpensive. Upgrades you to 2.5" shock for less than everyone else's 2" coilovers. And lets you level the rake out. I might still upgrade the front springs to Bilstien's 650lbs rate spring "for people running an extra 80-150lbs" bumpers.
Where you get bilstein heavy duty springs separately from the 6112s?

Sponsored

Lil Mul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2DR Badlands SAS / 2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where you get bilstein heavy duty springs separately from the 6112s?
https://wheelersoffroad.com/bilstei...cks-including-b8-6112-and-8112-53-291387.html

Bilstein Heavy Load Coil Kit (650 lb/in Spring Rate) for 2.5" Shocks Including B8 6112 and 8112 (53-291387)

These Bilstein coils are designed for vehicles with 100-150 lbs of additional weight on the front bumper (beyond stock). They have a spring rate of 650 lb/in and are powdercoated black.

When used with Bilstein B8 6112 and 8112 Kits these coils will increase lift height .5".

They're listed for "Tacoma" but I think they're compatible with the Bronco version of the 6112. I plan on asking my 4X4 shop to confirm with Bilstein...

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you checked out the Dobinsons height adjustable IMS shock? That would likely get you back in range.
Pretty sure that won't correct for a spring with too high a load rating. A damper won't compress that spring and you really wouldn't want it too.

Sloth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Pretty sure that won't correct for a spring with too high a load rating. A damper won't compress that spring and you really wouldn't want it too.
The Dobinsons damper is height adjustable to accomodate a longer spring. The problem is the OP's Dobinson spring is topping out the factory Bilsteins. Its riding at the top of its travel with no droop/sag. You can't stuff a spring thats two inches longer on a stock damper and expect it to be a good match. Nothing to do with the load rating of the spring.

OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, that was it exactly! Lesson learned the hard way.

The Dobinsons damper is height adjustable to accomodate a longer spring. The problem is the OP's Dobinson spring is topping out the factory Bilsteins. Its riding at the top of its travel with no droop/sag. You can't stuff a spring thats two inches longer on a stock damper and expect it to be a good match. Nothing to do with the load rating of the spring.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Picked my Bronco up today after having the full Dobinsons IMS suspension installed. This includes the IMS shocks and the heaviest springs they offer to better support the 450 lbs of bumper/winch, full steel skids, and frame mounted rails. I only have about 40 miles on it so far, but will can say my ride is nothing like what the OP has experienced with springs alone. It’s firmer and more controlled than stock SAS, but far from harsh.

My $.02… There is nothing wrong with Dobinsons HD springs when matched with the appropriate dampers.
You didn't mention the spring rates which would be a nice data point for reference. I sounds like you worked with a good supplier and received a properly rated spring and damper combo. Whereas the OP just plain bought the wrong springs. Yes, his title is clickbait negative regarding Dobinson so I'm with you on defending their rep.
Sponsored