Sponsored

UPDATE - It gets weirder: Automatic Transmission Leaks - is it just me?

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

4/28/23 UPDATE:
So, I took the Bronco in a couple of weeks back to have the leak checked out, thinking it was a bad seal or something. It was still only dripping a few drops each day. After 2 weeks I received an update last week that the transmission tech couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from and he contacted Ford. Ford told him to pull the transmission and inspect it. They also told me at that time that it was leaking pretty bad and there was a large puddle under the lift when they came in one morning.

Today I got an update that a bushing or bearing (the service advisor wasn't sure which one the tech told him) had turned sideways in the transmission and tore up the gears and other bearings and such. He said the tech has ordered over 30 components and will be rebuilding it when the parts arrive. He said this is the 2nd or 3rd one they have seen like this. The weird thing is that it drove completely normal and I never heard any strange noises or anything that would indicate that bearings and gears in my transmission were being destroyed. I mentioned that to the service advisor today and he said that's how the others have been too, no noise or drive issues. Looks like I'll be without my Bronco for a couple more weeks.

Anyone else ever hear of this? Should I be concerned with the rebuilt transmission going forward? I'm surprised they didn't just replace the transmission and send the old one back to Ford for teardown and analysis since this seems to not be an isolated incident.

ORIGINAL POST:
While changing the oil last weekend at 15k miles I noticed some drops of transmission fluid that had formed on the bottom of the bell housing area. I wiped them and checked a couple of days later and they were back. I don’t have any spots in my garage floor though so it isn’t a large leak.

Has anyone else seen this? I’m guessing it’s coming from the gasket area. I tried tightening the flange bolts but they didn’t budge. I really don’t want to take it to the dealer if I don’t have to. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Ford Bronco UPDATE - It gets weirder: Automatic Transmission Leaks - is it just me? 3CEE4A2E-6C34-4190-9729-80F1C2412C65

Ford Bronco UPDATE - It gets weirder: Automatic Transmission Leaks - is it just me? E402B74F-5C48-4835-8E02-F93363F542B6

Ford Bronco UPDATE - It gets weirder: Automatic Transmission Leaks - is it just me? 7003EA9D-459B-4041-B411-34A19D03D66F

Ford Bronco UPDATE - It gets weirder: Automatic Transmission Leaks - is it just me? 38B98E3F-FA15-4C61-8EE3-384B70EBC13C

Ford Bronco UPDATE - It gets weirder: Automatic Transmission Leaks - is it just me? F63D6594-2E74-472B-8E38-3EAC0559430A
Sponsored

Last edited:

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Haven't checked mine, not blessed with a lift and my undercarriage is constantly coated in dust and mud.

given all the vibration issues I have, I would not be surprised if mine is leaking too

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
While changing the oil last weekend at 15k miles I noticed some drops of transmission fluid that had formed on the bottom of the bell housing area. I wiped them and checked a couple of days later and they were back. I don’t have any spots in my garage floor though so it isn’t a large leak.

Has anyone else seen this? I’m guessing it’s coming from the gasket area. I tried tightening the flange bolts but they didn’t budge. I really don’t want to take it to the dealer if I don’t have to. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Ford Bronco UPDATE - It gets weirder: Automatic Transmission Leaks - is it just me? F63D6594-2E74-472B-8E38-3EAC0559430A

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored