Vacuum Brake Boost vs. Electronic Brake Boost?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What exactly is the "electric assist" though?

I am familiar with hydro-boost and vacuum boost.

Vacuum being engine vacuum or electric vacuum pump assisted.

Hydro-boost being powersteering pump pressure.

School me!

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2.0L and 2.3L EBs are still Mazda based, unrelated to prior 2.0Ls like the Zetec and 2.3Ls like the Lima.
The block of the 2.0 was based on the Mazda block design but everything else is different so I wouldn’t call the 2.3 Mazda based. In any case, there are no 2.3 NA engines with the same design. This is a rabbit-hole discussion anyway because it is completely unrelated to the brake boost design choices.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The block of the 2.0 was based on the Mazda block design but everything else is different so I wouldn’t call the 2.3 Mazda based. In any case, there are no 2.3 NA engines with the same design. This is a rabbit-hole discussion anyway because it is completely unrelated to the brake boost design choices.
I agree, it's off topic. But the 2.0 and 2.3 are very similar. There's even guys swapping heads around between the two.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.0L and 2.3L EBs are still Mazda based, unrelated to prior 2.0Ls like the Zetec and 2.3Ls like the Lima.
So originally I was talking about the 2.3 duratech not the lima. However I found a source saying the 2015 ecoboost is a brand new engine. But now this link says the 2.3 ecoboost is in fact based on the old Mazda engine like I had thought. So maybe my assumption was correct but I removed that comment...
https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-...ec-engine-family/ford-2-3l-duratec-23-engine/

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Disagree, NA engines do not need a vacuum pump. Keeping that in mind might explain why the 2.3 has a pump and the 2.7 uses electric.
Of course the 2.7 is used in the F150 which has naturally aspirated options still.
Wouldn't be shocked if electric assist becomes the go to standard.
Maybe this is just a weird leftover due to the 2.3 being a crate engine option (being shoehorned in place of NA engines) and the 2.7 not being a crate engine. More carry over parts saves money.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So originally I was talking about the 2.3 duratech not the lima. However I found a source saying the 2015 ecoboost is a brand new engine. But now this link says the 2.3 ecoboost is in fact based on the old Mazda engine like I had thought. So maybe my assumption was correct but I removed that comment...
https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-...ec-engine-family/ford-2-3l-duratec-23-engine/
It certainly is based on the Duratec, which is based on the Mazda L. Even the ecoboost wiki page falsely states the 2015+ 2.0 and 2.3 are clean sheet designs, with a "citation" behind a pay wall. However, when a Duratec and EB are side by side you can clearly see they are related. Here's a 09 2.5 Duratec vs a 15 2.3EB vs a 12 2.0 Duratec. A big difference is the open deck on the EB, which was not a change for the better.

s-l640.jpg

M-6010-23T_9ae762a1-bb95-467c-afad-790c8fee5aad_500x.jpg

Screenshot_20210616-190356~2.png

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the 2021 Bronco tech specs sheet, I noticed the following:
Ford Bronco Vacuum Brake Boost vs. Electronic Brake Boost? Screenshot_20210616-190356~2

The 2.3L gets vacuum brake boost, while the 2.7L gets electronic brake boost. What is the difference between the two systems? I haven’t been able to find much information online.

I’ve also noticed a few other differences between the two engines (besides the actual engine assembly).

For example, according to the 2021 Bronco Owners Manual, only the 2.3L gets a Turbo Boost Guage:
Ford Bronco Vacuum Brake Boost vs. Electronic Brake Boost? Screenshot_20210616-190356~2

And while both engines get Trail Control and Trail Turn Assist, only the 2.7L gets Trail One Pedal Drive:

I wonder if that has anything to do with the different brake systems between the two engines?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Folks that have the 2.3 have vacuum assisted brakes vs the electronic found in the 2.7. Documented better stop distances for the 2.7. Just another advantage that many never consider.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as it doesn't come with vacuum windshield wipers like my 55 Chevy had I'm good 😜

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve test driven both manual and auto 2.3l bronco. Brakes felt mushy. Has anybody driven the both 2.3 and 2.7l? Any comments on brake feel on the 2.7l?

Thrash Metash

Base
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have driven both and the 2.3L brakes were mushy compared to the brakes in the 2.7L. I don't know if that is true with all 2.3s and 2.7s but many have said the same.

That said, I did a bunch of trails in Moab and felt like the brakes worked just fine even when coming down a steep steep hill. There's just more travel in the pedal than I'm used to. Usually I would say the brakes need to be bled if they feel like that but maybe that's just the way it is on 2.3L.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Normally aspirated engines create vacuum when not at full open throttle, maximum vacuum with it closed, like under a braking situation. Aside from some tuned intakes, the minimum vacuum is normal air pressure is zero gage (14.7lb per square inch or whatever local air pressure might be as that is the normal force pushing in at all times). It is used to increase the brake line pressure, enhancing the pressure applied to the calipers. Turbo cars push air into the engine and reduce vacuum at the same throttle positions. They can go negative vacuum because they are artificially cramming air into the intake using energy from the exhaust. Negative vacuum is called boost. The pressure above ambient outside air pressure. The key is that even at low load and RPM the intake vacuum can be low (getting closer to zero gage) as the turbos are always pushing some air in (a throttle is never 100% closed, needs some air to not stall when at idle). Can create situations where there is varying or not enough vacuum to help power the braking system. The electronic kind uses a pump to create vacuum to drive the brakes no matter what the engine intake vacuum. My supposition in this case is that the turbos on the 2.7 are negating enough vacuum for the brakes to be mushy in some instances, while the 2.3 is less affected because the turbo is not moving enough air to interfere with the braking system. Essentially, it 'spools up' well above idle speed and doesn't see up the vacuum when the throttle is closed.

Most turbo engines still generate enough vacuum to use vacuum assisted brakes. I suspect it's more of a packaging issue. The vacuum brake booster is pretty big and a twin turbo V6 takes up a lot more space than a single turbo I4.