Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This^.

Ford is proud of what they built and are offering. I get a kick out of people on here who claim Ford won't warranty a part because the Bronco was used off road, when it was built to go off road. Modifications will void warranty, but not using it. People are going to push the limits and find the weak links.
I have to disagree with this. The guy in the video also said he wasn't even debating a warranty claim. Ford is fine with you doing what they have you do in the Off Rodeo - which is some pretty gnarly stuff but safe and doesn't kill the vehicle. It is far from the abuse that we have seen this guy do to his Bronco.

It was a huge deal a number of years back when Chevy introduced the 1LE Track Package for the Camaro and stood behind any warrantied claim due to the vehicle being on a track racing. Imagine that - an iconic pony car has to have a special package to get coverage at a race track.

A cousin used to run his M3 up at Mid-Ohio on the weekends and he did something to the transmission that BMW wouldn't cover because he had it towed from Mid-Ohio.

There are so many examples of manufacturers denying warranty claims on a purpose built vehicle because the vehicle was used for that purpose, incorrectly.

Like the guy who rammed/wedged his Bronco on 35s (or 37s) into a boulder climb and snapped the steering linkage - that's not off-roading - Ford isn't covering it.
Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to disagree with this. The guy in the video also said he wasn't even debating a warranty claim. Ford is fine with you doing what they have you do in the Off Rodeo - which is some pretty gnarly stuff but safe and doesn't kill the vehicle. It is far from the abuse that we have seen this guy do to his Bronco.

It was a huge deal a number of years back when Chevy introduced the 1LE Track Package for the Camaro and stood behind any warrantied claim due to the vehicle being on a track racing. Imagine that - an iconic pony car has to have a special package to get coverage at a race track.

A cousin used to run his M3 up at Mid-Ohio on the weekends and he did something to the transmission that BMW wouldn't cover because he had it towed from Mid-Ohio.

There are so many examples of manufacturers denying warranty claims on a purpose built vehicle because the vehicle was used for that purpose, incorrectly.

Like the guy who rammed/wedged his Bronco on 35s (or 37s) into a boulder climb and snapped the steering linkage - that's not off-roading - Ford isn't covering it.
We have a saying in business, and in management. "We can't make decisions and policies based on the exceptions, there will always be exceptions." Sure, I agree with you, adding 37's and showing rock scrapes all over the bottom of a Bronco likely won't get your bent steering tie rod covered under warranty. That's not what I was referring to. I was referring to some folks comments that going off road will void warranty coverage, which it won't. I said that modifications will void elements of warranty. If the vehicle is stock, and something breaks, why wouldn't Ford fix it? Remember, warranty doesn't cover a part that the driver damages, it covers a part that fails. A bent tie rod is damage, hitting a curb or something if driving on the street. Yes, there is considerable gray area, but simply using the vehicle off road like it was designed to do will not cancel the factory warranty, which is all I said.

The same thing applies to collision coverage with car insurance. We've had comments in the Jeeping world for years that insurance doesn't cover if you're off road and roll the vehicle. Why not? There are many many dirt roads to drive down to explore and go camping and hiking. Insurance coverage is not void if we do that. I know of many examples, including myself, when a vehicle was rolled on a trail and the insurance covered it. Now, neither warranty or insurance is going to cover using the vehicle for competition, so I don't think I'd have my broken car towed from a race track. We do have to use our brain a bit.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, a bit to read through and catch up on here. Will address some of the questions statements I saw so far.

1. Yes I'm an idiot that hit it too fast and at an angle, since it drops down it you can't really see the hole until you are up on it, and at that point realized I was too far right of it so came in angled instead of straight on, was that or go straight and probably flip into it when just the left side dropped in, biggest issue too much speed, second biggest issue bad angle.

2. I will post once I get official diagnosis and cost, not looking forward to that.

3. yes it is a black diamond non Sasquatch with the M190 - perhaps 210 would be better, but it still took a pretty good beating so hard to say.

4. Warranty claim -If i was going to play dumb and act like I don't know what happened, I wouldn't have posted the video evidence on a public website for all to see. It's not some thing that broke driving down the road under normal conditions. I wouldn't expect it to be covered. I screwed up its on me to fix it.

5. Insurance claim - see above ☝ Not worth making a claim against myself and getting the rates for all my cars raised. The whole process goes much smoother if I just say hey heres what i did, whats it going to cost me. No need for anyone else to get involved other than me and the shop.

6. The day was a blast as was the last time we went out, Bronco did great, so did the other Bronco. Only issue I have is the tires are complete garbage in mud and I need to get actual mud tires for playing.

7. Jeep guys did or said "x" . We met a few different Jeep guys and gals out on the trails and they were all awesome, there was no Bronco vs Jeep problems , people were just people out having a good time. Not sure why everyone has to make everything an us vs them scenario.
At lest you got noticed by Road & Track for your efforts. :cool: Best wishes in the repair.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/watch-bronco-blow-4wd-system-153300161.html

Doubt the service advisors and techs are watching Bronco forum videos. :giggle:
He's made the Prime Time now.

Last edited:

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

DO we have an update from the OP on repairs ?
Nope :(

Well I know whats broken, what happens next still not sure.

Spider gear shot, ring gear shot, possibly more gears messed up? maybe, doesn't matter much though, anything in the front dif gets messed up there is no repairing it.

There is no dif cover you can pop open and change out gears or anything its a sealed unit, so anything goes bad, the whole thing needs to be changed.

This is a first for the dealership as is pretty much anything Bronco related, so they have sent all the information they have up the chain to see if it would be covered under warranty or not.

They don't want to charge me if it is but also the dealership is not going to pay for it if not.

So as of right now it's in limbo, people at Ford are considering what to do, we can all make assumptions about what they will say or do but until that time comes I stay in limbo.

Service manager did see video, person he has sent the information up to at Ford also has seen it, so one would assume no warrantee, however we have no idea if this is the first reported issue with the M190, maybe there have been others that have had issues with it already we don't know.

Everyone said the M190 was not going to be strong enough for an offroad vehicle, maybe its not, and has broken under less extreme situations, just not reported here on the forum.

If so there could be a viable warranty claim, not counting on one, but thats Ford's call to make.

So right now I have a 2WD Bronco, waiting to find out what calls Ford makes about how they tell the dealership to proceed.

Regardless of what Ford says, theres no replacement parts available for it right now anyway, so even if they say yes its covered, go ahead and replace it, they can't without the parts.

If they say its on me to pay for replacement it opens up some other options, do I let dealership replace it with M190 , do I do the work and upgrade it to M210? Wait for the Dana 44 thats supposed to come out next year? more options , possibly cheaper ones than having the dealer do it.

But since its first year model, have taken it to them they can log the issue, argue over what warranty does or does not cover, and hopefully I will have an answer and some parts before too long.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doubt the service advisors and techs are watching Bronco forum videos. :giggle:

Spider gear shot, ring gear shot, possibly more gears messed up? maybe, doesn't matter much though, anything in the front dif gets messed up there is no repairing it.

There is no dif cover you can pop open and change out gears or anything its a sealed unit, so anything goes bad, the whole thing needs to be changed.

This is a first for the dealership as is pretty much anything Bronco related, so they have sent all the information they have up the chain to see if it would be covered under warranty or not.

They don't want to charge me if it is but also the dealership is not going to pay for it if not.

So as of right now it's in limbo, people at Ford are considering what to do, we can all make assumptions about what they will say or do but until that time comes I stay in limbo.

Service manager did see video, person he has sent the information up to at Ford also has seen it, so one would assume no warrantee, however we have no idea if this is the first reported issue with the M190, maybe there have been others that have had issues with it already we don't know.

Everyone said the M190 was not going to be strong enough for an offroad vehicle, maybe its not, and has broken under less extreme situations, just not reported here on the forum.

If so there could be a viable warranty claim, not counting on one, but thats Ford's call to make.

So right now I have a 2WD Bronco, waiting to find out what calls Ford makes about how they tell the dealership to proceed.

Regardless of what Ford says, theres no replacement parts available for it right now anyway, so even if they say yes its covered, go ahead and replace it, they can't without the parts.

If they say its on me to pay for replacement it opens up some other options, do I let dealership replace it with M190 , do I do the work and upgrade it to M210? Wait for the Dana 44 thats supposed to come out next year? more options , possibly cheaper ones than having the dealer do it.

But since its first year model, have taken it to them they can log the issue, argue over what warranty does or does not cover, and hopefully I will have an answer and some parts before too long.
I love the attitude/ approach. Need more of this around here. Yes it happened, it sucks and has the potential to be expensive but you get through it & will still enjoy the truck. GOY ;)

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, respect to Bill. Like, a lot of it.
Several have been judgmental, negative, some have been supportive, logical.
While admittedly at first I shook my head at the antics, seeming lack of decision making, I've come to learn a bit and be humbled. Back to when I was first figuring out how to engage 4WD, and what's a locking hub do...

It made me remember the love and thrill of doing more than anticipated by manufacturers and friends alike. It made me remember the feeling of "Maybe this is just a bit past where I should have stopped..."

And honestly, his honest approach, laying it all out there for judgement in the age of the internet (Thank all that is Holy there was no such thing when I was growing up), and owning it is a breath of fresh air.

He isn't some entitled, abrasive younger YouTuber (ya'll know who) who just destroys everything he can because he can afford to do so for reactions and views to his tantrums.
Rock on, Bill.
I'll watch whatever ya post and would go wheeling anytime.
Best of luck, whichever way it goes.

Liberty

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agree completely with @Felix808 and @broadicustomworks . Trying new things, learning and sharing are what makes this forum work. You are a here contributing and helping all of us. If Ford takes care of you that would be fantastic. If not, I am very interested in watching your front diff upgrade if that’s the path you follow. Thanks

Sponsored

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sorry to hear it. The first video you did it right going slow and being pulled out when it was to deep. I could be wrong but it did look like you needed some speed for the line you took due to deep mud then a climb out, just a little to much :). Hope you get it fixed under warrantee but if not I would run the M210. Correct me if I am wrong but the M210 is basically a Dana 44 front diff or are you talking about a SAS?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And honestly, his honest approach, laying it all out there for judgement in the age of the internet (Thank all that is Holy there was no such thing when I was growing up), and owning it is a breath of fresh air.
Yep, gone are the days of growing up wondering what would happen if I tried this ;) Wonder no more, it's all on Youtube :sneaky:

You definitely want to go with a stronger part.
If on my dime, you can bet the 44 is going in. :cool:

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear it. The first video you did it right going slow and being pulled out when it was to deep. I could be wrong but it did look like you needed some speed for the line you took due to deep mud then a climb out, just a little to much :). Hope you get it fixed under warrantee but if not I would run the M210. Correct me if I am wrong but the M210 is basically a Dana 44 front diff or are you talking about a SAS?
Badlands and Sasquatch come with the M210 front end, anything with a factory front locker is M210. Additionally, Spicer has an M220 front end (FDU they call it) coming out as a bolt in replacement for the Bronco that they are calling a D44 FDU. The M190 and M210 are 29 spline CV axles, the D44/M220 FDU has 32 spline axles, which will make it a very good upgrade for those who choose to do it.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Badlands and Sasquatch come with the M210 front end, anything with a factory front locker is M210. Additionally, Spicer has an M220 front end (FDU they call it) coming out as a bolt in replacement for the Bronco that they are calling a D44 FDU. The M190 and M210 are 29 spline CV axles, the D44/M220 FDU has 32 spline axles, which will make it a very good upgrade for those who choose to do it.
Gotcha thanks. I assumed that the M210 would be the same M210 Advantek D44 diff from the JL with the 32 spline setup. Another question is can you change out the Ring and pinion? According to this post is the front is a sealed unit?
Sponsored