First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just LOVE, LOVE that that rear is a drop out third member. It would be amazing if the 9" came back after all these years.
Interestingly, the 2019 Ranger that was first shown at NAIAS in 2018 had a front-loaded third member (I purposely looked under the display truck at the show), and looked extremely similar to the 9" (like we see here). But when the production model showed up a year later, it had the more conventional Dana axle that we've seen on Bronco.

So it isn't unprecedented for these early builds to have a non-production axle. It could be that, even though the 9" has been out of production for decades, its so readily available and customized on the aftermarket, that it might still be the fast way to get mule vehicles running before the production intent parts are available.

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clever use of camouflage

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I need to read the small print and do some research. With my limited knowledge I assume that the absence of leaf springs means that the rear have more articulation. I think that is is always a good thing ;)

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Interestingly, the 2019 Ranger that was first shown at NAIAS in 2018 had a front-loaded third member (I purposely looked under the display truck at the show), and looked extremely similar to the 9" (like we see here). But when the production model showed up a year later, it had the more conventional Dana axle that we've seen on Bronco.

So it isn't unprecedented for these early builds to have a non-production axle. It could be that, even though the 9" has been out of production for decades, its so readily available and customized on the aftermarket, that it might still be the fast way to get mule vehicles running before the production intent parts are available.
Have to say, those look like machine welds there. I can angle grind with the best of them while watching professional welders stack dimes all day long. Although I have no doubt Ford can hire somebody proper for the job.

Whoever they had in charge of camo should be FIRED. What is this, amateur hour in camo and shielding? A SINGLE zip tie in each location, was there a shortage of zip ties in the marketing division? Whoever did that must have been feeling self conscious laying down next to that stout 9" with a single zip tie in their hand.

Sheesh, all this talk about 9" is making me want to start researching gearing ratios for the T-bird again!

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have to say, those look like machine welds there. I can angle grind with the best of them while watching professional welders stack dimes all day long. Although I have no doubt Ford can hire somebody proper for the job.
Could be. But also possible that they had someone like Currie or Moser build them proper axles rather than whipping something up in the garage. While plenty of the later does happen on mules, keep in mind that Ford hasn't had any production 9" bits to dabble with themselves since the mid '80s. Either way, I have pretty high confidence that the Warthog will have Dana axles as well. Since they apparently grafted in something other than an M220 (choosing not use the M220), then perhaps they are a placeholder for a larger model Dana...

Sponsored

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A SINGLE zip tie in each location, was there a shortage of zip ties in the marketing division?
Used up all the zip ties repairing B&P...

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whoever they had in charge of camo should be FIRED. What is this, amateur hour in camo and shielding? A SINGLE zip tie in each location, was there a shortage of zip ties in the marketing division? Whoever did that must have been feeling self conscious laying down next to that stout 9".

Some times quick and dirty is all that’s required... KISS

One of the supposed advantages of the new Dana diffs is the reduced drag. With the 9” have the extra pinion support bearing, it’s no match in the efficiency category but superior in strength.