Sponsored

Wastegate actuator loose/rattling. Anyone else have this issue?

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
See video attached, but my 2022 2.3L has had this awful wastegate actuator rattle that can be heard in the cabin. If you’ve had this issue, do you have a fix? Any suggestions are appreciated because it’s such an irritating noise that happens every time the turbo kicks in.

I’d have an audio clip in-cabin but phones just don’t pick it up. Dealer says there’s nothing wrong, even after a ride along.

Clearly everything is fine. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

JJHTX

Black Diamond
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine doesn’t rattle like that, but it does make an annoying squealing noise. I’ve gone back and forth with dealership about it, and they initially kept telling me the same thing (nothing wrong and “we can’t replicate” bs). I felt compelled to be persistent about it (and a separate brake click issue) and escalated it beyond the service reps, until finally management agreed to replace the part. My truck is still at the dealership, unfortunately. Good luck on a fix for your issue.

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So is this what rattles on most that sounds like a diesel under acceleration?

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine doesn’t rattle like that, but it does make an annoying squealing noise. I’ve gone back and forth with dealership about it, and they initially kept telling me the same thing (nothing wrong and “we can’t replicate” bs). I felt compelled to be persistent about it (and a separate brake click issue) and escalated it beyond the service reps, until finally management agreed to replace the part. My truck is still at the dealership, unfortunately. Good luck on a fix for your issue.
Sorry you’re dealing with the same issue. I’m trying to avoid the dealer as I’ve already been in 5 times (3 times for transmission & 2 times for my tailgate). Hopefully I can figure it out.

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So is this what rattles on most that sounds like a diesel under acceleration?
Yeah the sound is very annoying. No performance loss. I’ve just never driven a turbo car that has that rattle from the engine bay.

Sponsored

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah me neither at it is very annoying especially when it’s cold out and under acceleration. I might look into seeing if I can turn a brass bushing, but haven’t looked that deep into it.

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wrong forum, there bud?

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ya @raptorusmaximus's post is off topic but I did come to say try some grease. A thick grease like Lucas Oil red pushed in there could add some cushion. Do you think that arm pin is backing out?

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ya @raptorusmaximus's post is off topic but I did come to say try some grease. A thick grease like Lucas Oil red pushed in there could add some cushion. Do you think that arm pin is backing out?
Interesting. I’ll definitely look into Lucas Red. Can’t say for certain on the arm pin. I have, however, considered buying a new wastegate assembly from Ford or somewhere else and installing it myself at this point. 🙃

Sponsored

Fortydegnorth

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend 4dr, 2023 Big Bend 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We have 2 Broncos with 2.3 engines. Both have the wastgate squeak, but not a rattle that I’ve noticed. My 2023 squeak is much louder than my wife’s 2022. It’s mostly at idle and on a cold start. I don’t worry about it, but it is a weird noise.

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Grease will just melt off and definitely won’t help the rattle

Bigguyry2000

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine has that also. I’m not worried about it til it breaks. The weirder thing is that at wide open mid to upper RPM I noticed I was getting wastegate pop like I was at the strip doing a launch control or 2 step. Only noticed after the procal tuner I just installed.
Have you noticed anything like that?

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yep mine makes the same noise which can be heard in the cabin when on idle or when slowly reversing. I noticed it days after I picked up my Bronco and took it back right away. Dealer had it for a whole week even got in contact with Ford and they told them to leave it as is for now. They even had me test drive 2 other 2.3s they had on the lot and all had the same noise. I can share a video of the cabin noise if anyone wants to compare their noise to mine but I believe we're all in the same boat

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Mine has that also. I’m not worried about it til it breaks. The weirder thing is that at wide open mid to upper RPM I noticed I was getting wastegate pop like I was at the strip doing a launch control or 2 step. Only noticed after the procal tuner I just installed.
Have you noticed anything like that?
Mine isn't as much of a pop it's mostly rattling but yeah two days after I picked up my Bronco I took it right back to the dealership and they said it's normal
Sponsored