First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I installed the AFE charge pipes on my 2.3l and since doing that 1000 miles ago 2 different times (the latest being today on a 90 mile trip home) the turbo won’t produce anymore than 1lb of boost. I’m taking it in for service Thursday but has anyone else run across this? If I shut the vehicle off for 15 mins or so the service engine light goes away and the wastegate resumes normal function until it decides to do it again. Now my check engine light is on which hasn’t happened the one other time this happened. I’ve since reinstalled the factory charge pipes and went for a drive and everything is normal minus the engine light. Again I believe this is a wastegate problem that has been documented in this forum but it didn’t start until I installed the aftermarket charge pipes. Put the factory ones back on bc I don’t want to have to argue with the dealership about fixing the underlying issue
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dmorty217

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just to note with the turbo not working the bronco is slower than shit but man I get way better gas mileage!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you check what code(s) was set? If the CEL is still on, there should be a code in memory. Don't erase it if you are planning to have your dealer look at it

OP
OP
Dmorty217

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you check what code(s) was set? If the CEL is still on, there should be a code in memory. Don't erase it if you are planning to have your dealer look at it
Here are the messages I got through the app

84F75C02-CE1E-4745-A96D-0A643AA95432.png

2F569B20-6095-429E-BD97-5960F5BCFADB.png

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ask Rick, he’ll know what to do

Ford Bronco Charge pipes issue 1666478195085

All cerealness, what the hell is going on??

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Probably just a coincidence. Doubt it has anything to do with the pipes. Just the typical wastegate issue seen before.

OP
OP
Dmorty217

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Probably just a coincidence. Doubt it has anything to do with the pipes. Just the typical wastegate issue seen before.
That’s what I think also but I had to ask others. My dealership is being stupid about shit so I had to reinstall the factory pipes which are shit compared to the aftermarket. Also have a aftermarket intercooler I am waiting to install now until the dealership fixes the wastegate issue. Spend almost 50k on a vehicle and they try and tell me I should remove my K&N intake and charge pipes. Mind you before I got mine I specifically asked them what would void the warranty and I quote if you modify or bypass the cat or put a downpipe on. Well I haven’t done either of those and I’m annoyed with 4200 miles on my bronco

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the AFE charge pipes on my 2.3l and since doing that 1000 miles ago 2 different times (the latest being today on a 90 mile trip home) the turbo won’t produce anymore than 1lb of boost. I’m taking it in for service Thursday but has anyone else run across this? If I shut the vehicle off for 15 mins or so the service engine light goes away and the wastegate resumes normal function until it decides to do it again. Now my check engine light is on which hasn’t happened the one other time this happened. I’ve since reinstalled the factory charge pipes and went for a drive and everything is normal minus the engine light. Again I believe this is a wastegate problem that has been documented in this forum but it didn’t start until I installed the aftermarket charge pipes. Put the factory ones back on bc I don’t want to have to argue with the dealership about fixing the underlying issue
So, if I can summarize….
A) Your Bronco was working fine.
B) You modified it.
C) Now you‘re having functional issues perhaps due to the modifications.
D) You want Ford to fix it, so you removed the modifications.
E) Now it’s functioning without issues again.
F) The Ford Engineers don’t know shit compared to the aftermarket “engineers”.

How did I do? I’m not sure why you posted….

OP
OP
Dmorty217

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, if I can summarize….
A) Your Bronco was working fine.
B) You modified it.
C) Now you‘re having functional issues perhaps due to the modifications.
D) You want Ford to fix it, so you removed the modifications.
E) Now it’s functioning without issues again.
F) The Ford Engineers don’t know shit compared to the aftermarket “engineers”.

How did I do? I’m not sure why you posted….
Ah yes I was wondering when one of you would arrive. The aftermarket cold side provides 70% more air to the turbo which isn’t a bad thing compared to the stock so say whatever you like. Ford engineers have plenty and I mean PLENTY of problems with a vehicle the have been working on for years and we are all aware of them. Move along if you have nothing to add. Yeah for 10 miles now the factory pipes haven’t caused a issue… for 10 miles. The issue is the wastegate not the pipes but please exert your wisdom

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You would probably be able to hear it if it was leaking that much of the air charge from the turbo.

Sponsored

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Dmorty217

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You would probably be able to hear it if it was leaking that much of the air charge from the turbo.
It’s not leaking from the turbo, the problem is the wastegate is stuck open and won’t let boost build. It’s random and whenever the vehicle is shut off for more than 5 mins it goes away for 1000 miles or so. Doesn’t make any sense and the wastegate issue is well documented and ford can’t just replace the wastegate for some reason it’s also involves the turbo being replaced. I would just buy a aftermarket wastegate and have it put on not through the dealer but no one makes one that I can find

OP
OP
Dmorty217

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Right.....
I’m not the only person who has done this to their bronco because that is also documented here but I’m having a wastegate issue so….

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not the only person who has done this to their bronco because that is also documented here but I’m having a wastegate issue so….
I was responding to your OP where you started with you changed the charge pipes. If it's so irrelevant why was it the first thing you said?

After thoroughly reading the post I'm not sure what it is you are actually expecting/asking?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

ford can’t just replace the wastegate for some reason it’s also involves the turbo being replaced. I would just buy a aftermarket wastegate and have it put on not through the dealer but no one makes one that I can find
It has an electronic wastegate instead of a normal vacuum one which is why there are no aftermarket ones, at least not yet.
Sponsored