Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Squatch Installs CVF Charge Pipes (Hot & Cold) - "Aluminum Tubes!" 1701815601277

Okay, so this is less scientific than the CVF Intercooler review. Charge pipes flow better than stock by a nominal 3-4% usually and only become necessary at PSI levels I'm not pushing my Bronco's engine to out of a desire to daily drive it, legally, haha.

The CVF Charge Pipes are pretty!

Ford Bronco Squatch Installs CVF Charge Pipes (Hot & Cold) - "Aluminum Tubes!" IMG_20230916_170154_032

I prefer the subtle wrinkle black coating(pic overexposed for detail) and do not believe any anecdotes about the choice in coating affecting the temps in any appreciable way. These are pretty and they go "whoosh" on WOT just enough to make me smile but not to the point of being obnoxious.

Relevant Mods:
Rough Country Hidden Winch
Smittybilt X2O GEN3 12K WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE
CVF Intercooler (not necessary as I tested the fit with the stock IC, but it has real effect)
Ford Performance Tune (not necessary and installed post charge pipe test-fit/drive)

Installation Notes:
The choice of a hidden winch made this harder than it needed to be and this is for the 2.3L which has a decent amount of room in front of the engine.
Ford Bronco Squatch Installs CVF Charge Pipes (Hot & Cold) - "Aluminum Tubes!" IMG_20230917_112259_934

*you can see the top of my winch just taunting me

The install is relatively straightforward with the usual bad guys like bizarre push-in cable holders from Ford that do not seem to be designed for re-use or serviceability...

Ford Bronco Squatch Installs CVF Charge Pipes (Hot & Cold) - "Aluminum Tubes!" 1701816477794

The sensors, etc. were a quick no-brainer swap. The clamps that come with the CVF charge pipes are big and beefy. Just be careful when opening them up to fit over the pipes that you don't let the springs shoot their nuts all over your house.

Stock v. CVF pics, note: you have to at least leave off the bottom of the cold side or both to install them.
Ford Bronco Squatch Installs CVF Charge Pipes (Hot & Cold) - "Aluminum Tubes!" 20231112_145222

Don't they look like musical instruments?
Ford Bronco Squatch Installs CVF Charge Pipes (Hot & Cold) - "Aluminum Tubes!" 20231112_145953

The only install frustration I had that wasn't self-inflicted(I still love you hidden winch, but...) was the lower 90 degree bend on one of the pipes. It was just barely long enough to fit. There are no concerns that it is too short, but at "just right" I had to do my usual winch-intercooler juggling act and cut my forehead at some point. I got out from under the Bronco and noticed my neighbors driving by really slow like they were judging me for working on my own vehicle... turned out I hadn't noticed my forehead and when I went inside to wash up I looked in the mirror and saw the scary bloody forehead man they saw, haha.

Conclusion:

This is a mod for those that want their engine operating at max efficiency. There are extra sensor bungs for something and it goes whoosh, which I love, but it is a mod for the modders. It was totally worth it for me but opinions vary. The difference between the stockers and the CVF charge pipes is analogous to drinking through a paper straw vice a metal straw.
Ford Performance Tune - I don't think the Ford Performance Tune does anything based on charge pipes, but it adds more strain overall so take that straw analogy and switch from soda to drinking a milkshake... the CVF charge pipes give me added confidence despite many Broncos running the tune and stockers.
Sponsored

Obeh4ve

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The CVF pipe smoothing out those 2 ugly 90º bends by themselves is probably worth the price of admission. I'm not familiar with CVF. Looks like they make good products. Do they have a good rep?

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The CVF pipe smoothing out those 2 ugly 90º bends by themselves is probably worth the price of admission. I'm not familiar with CVF. Looks like they make good products. Do they have a good rep?
Yeah, the pretty factor is definitely worth it for people like me. Shiny things work better.

Good rep as far as I'm aware. A lot of experience with the Ecoboost engine family in Fords.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice. I have Injen pipes coming in on the 4th. Excited to see how they work with my current setup.
Sponsored