Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, @Squatch got the opportunity to test out the CVF intercooler.

It took: finding my OBDII reader; not trusting it over Bluetooth; downloading and paying for FORScan; and, careful test track selection.

…then, it took a lot of removing aftermarket parts, cursing, bloody knuckles, and more cursing.

Overall, I’m really happy with it and as soon as I can remember that it’s exactly where the stock intercooler was then I’ll drive in the rain again… kidding… kinda… still feels exposed.

My 2022 Bronco Badlands - 2.3L 7MT
Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 2022 Bronco_Topless IMG_20230521_094103_719

Relevant Mods:
Rough Country Hidden Winch
Smittybilt X2O GEN3 12K WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE

CVF Intercooler:
Love how thick it is compared to stock, but that led to a big mistake. I didn’t realize I would have to remove the bumper to take off the Active Grille Shutters—thanks, Ford Rockstars. Fortunately, I don’t have ACC or other junk so once I rescheduled time to install it, everything went smoothly.
Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 20231002_133506

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 20231002_133502

Installation Notes:
So, I have made it overly complicated for myself due to the Hidden Winch. However, it is really straight-forward otherwise.

Follow virtually any front skid plate removal, then you will see one of these bad boys hanging down on each side that supports the intercooler.
Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 20231002_132026

*I, simply, had to support the winch plate and remove bolts for it reversing the Hidden Winch install instructions.

You MUST remove the bumper to remove the Active Shutters. Bad Ford, bad! That did require unplugging the connector and since I don't have ACC I did not have to reconnect anything, but you may.
Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 20231028_121555

You have to reuse some parts like the flippy-flappies that were on the backside of the stock intercooler. There is one screw and it hates you. PB Blaster on removal, had to chase the threads on the new intercooler because the thread tolerances… well, they are intolerant. Otherwise, a few simple plastic slot-tab pairs.
Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 20231002_134303

The rubber isolator mounts… duh, right? (It's largely straight-forward)
Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 20231002_133536

My personal issues:

I have the Rough Country Hidden Winch installed with a heavy Smittybilt “X2O GEN3 12K WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE” on the plate. Yes, I had to use a jack to lower it each time and pull slack out and winch it back in… I did it to myself, I know.
Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! 20231028_121331

*that jack has been around since before they stopped making Broncos

Regular install is just a quick slip of the factory skid plate and everything is right there like that one house that leaves a giant bowl of candy out for Halloween—much faster.

Testing:

Format:

Okay, so I tried my best to really wind out the engine, but it’s not a drag racer and the amount of “runway” you need to get to triple digit speeds is a ton! So, I have repeatable results from about 20-80 MPH(I made about 7-8 passes each, stock and CVF, then kept the 3-4 most reliable). Basically, hot and heavy with cool-downs in between. An hour-plus slog through traffic in 85+ and humid would be cool to log, but the data output is just too cumbersome.

Results:

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! Combined Final

As you can see, there’s a 31 degree drop in temps. I don’t have all the data this polished because FORScan collects a ton and it can be a pain to sift through.

*Matrix GIF

I did, however, look at enough of the raw numbers to know to expect 25 degrees plus, but this was even better!

My Bronco lives in hot and humid Miami, so your results may vary, but I believe in torture testing and this CVF intercooler definitely put a smile on my face.

***Stay tuned for my review of the CVF charge pipes! Hint: woosh!***
Sponsored

Dlars99

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So….is there a part number for those charge pipes😀. Ordering up this intercooler at the end of the month. Thanks for the review!

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks!

I actually didn't include one picture because it looks like the intercooler isn't level... 😁 😂

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! enhance-super-troopers
Looks like a nice clean install to me. Curious to see how the new setup works out for you long term.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent work.
Good to see data to back it up as well.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

Glove_fits

Black Diamond
First Name
SLMW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M2, M3, 2 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been looking at the CVF intercooler but didn't find their charge pipes online specific for the bronco. are you using other 2.3 charge pipes they have listed for the ranger? I was even wondering if the mishimoto charge pipes could line up instead

got a 7mt with roush intake here in MIA also, putting the awe 0fg exhaust and pro cal tune on this weekend.

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been looking at the CVF intercooler but didn't find their charge pipes online specific for the bronco. are you using other 2.3 charge pipes they have listed for the ranger? I was even wondering if the mishimoto charge pipes could line up instead

got a 7mt with roush intake here in MIA also, putting the awe 0fg exhaust and pro cal tune on this weekend.
So, I am not sure if I can comment yet on the pipes, but they go whoosh! when you get after it like a good intake with a long pipe would on a Mustang or other vehicle if you know that sound.

The ones I have are nice and hook up to the stock location and I checked for leaks with stock and CVF intercoolers which was a pain only due to my preference of the RC hidden winch being tucked down there too and it's already installed.

The best upgrade order, in my opinion, would be the intercooler and hot&cold charge pipes before a hidden winch or perhaps even before an aftermarket bumper because most, if not all, intercoolers require those active grille shutters to be removed and that's a complication of Ford's design but not a dream-killer. Mishimoto's high mount looks cool but that install looks like a daunting endeavor and you have to get their pipes.

I did this on a flat, hard surface with my trusty cardboard creeper without jacking up the Bronco--a stock Badlands on 33s. That type of upgrade is my jam and I feel comfortable recommending it to others.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, I am not sure if I can comment yet on the pipes, but they go whoosh! when you get after it like a good intake with a long pipe would on a Mustang or other vehicle if you know that sound.

The ones I have are nice and hook up to the stock location and I checked for leaks with stock and CVF intercoolers which was a pain only due to my preference of the RC hidden winch being tucked down there too and it's already installed.

The best upgrade order, in my opinion, would be the intercooler and hot&cold charge pipes before a hidden winch or perhaps even before an aftermarket bumper because most, if not all, intercoolers require those active grille shutters to be removed and that's a complication of Ford's design but not a dream-killer. Mishimoto's high mount looks cool but that install looks like a daunting endeavor and you have to get their pipes.

I did this on a flat, hard surface with my trusty cardboard creeper without jacking up the Bronco--a stock Badlands on 33s. That type of upgrade is my jam and I feel comfortable recommending it to others.

Aw, it's not that bad Just a bunch of plastic bits. :LOL:

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! IMG_0469.JPG

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! IMG_0471.JPG

No jack needed, just hand tools. Oem charge pipes here, as you can see.

The kit comes with the pretty blue tidbits which in the end you only see a sliver of them.

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! IMG_0478.JPG

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! IMG_0479.JPG

All in all, not too hard. Then put all the plastic bits back on. 😁

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! IMG_0596.JPG

Ford Bronco Squatch Tests CVF Intercooler for 2.3L  7M Badlands! IMG_0495.JPG

I have had no issues. Did it with 200 miles on the clock. It got about 4K now. 😁

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So many intercooler products available, so little data. But until your work! Thanks for sharing. This is intake air temps, correct? Is this the difference immediately after a single 20-80 run? It would also be very interesting to see if the IC can impact temps after repeated high load/high rpm runs (i.e. is it anti heat soak). 30 deg F difference amounts to about 5% more dense air and should translate to about 13 hp. Probably not easy to feel that with ones butt-dyno. Might be able to see this with a phone performance app. That would be highly interesting/useful.
Sponsored