First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Seeing an IAT drop of Xº is nice but it is also a measurement in isolation. You really want to see ambient, pre IC, post IC and IAT. Same day, same ambient temps, same humidity but one run facing head winds vs another run with tail winds will skew your data. Regarding the oft asked heat soak question; that's almost meaningless when looking at 20 - 80MPH runs. Any IC worth beans is rapidly dumping heat at 20MPH. Like Squatch said you need to flog it hard to really heat soak the IC. Or sit in traffic on a hot day. You'll get enough heat soak for sure. Ideally you want identical conditions for every test. Also keep in mind, a larger IC has more thermal mass so when it is soaked it'll take longer to cool than a smaller, similarly designed IC. You can't make the blanket statement that larger is better. You also need to include charge velocity. Poor charge velocity definitely shows up in off idle conditions. For me average temp drop across the IC core trending upwards is good. An improved design can be as effective as or more so than just Bigger. I don't and never will rock crawl but that looks to be pretty darned close to "stuck in traffic" regarding air flow. A bigger IC isn't going to help much if at all under those conditions. I"m guessing. My 2¢
Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All this time I assumed @Squatch had a Sasquatch. It's, like, his identity and everything. My world is shattered.

because most, if not all, intercoolers require those active grille shutters to be removed
I've painted myself into a corner as my winch occupies the space where the shutters used to be so it looks like this one won't work for me. I hurt my IC in the dunes and I feel like I might be a little down on power, if I'm shelling out the cash I didn't want to have to replace it with another stock IC.

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seeing an IAT drop of Xº is nice but it is also a measurement in isolation. You really want to see ambient, pre IC, post IC and IAT. Same day, same ambient temps, same humidity but one run facing head winds vs another run with tail winds will skew your data. Regarding the oft asked heat soak question; that's almost meaningless when looking at 20 - 80MPH runs. Any IC worth beans is rapidly dumping heat at 20MPH. Like Squatch said you need to flog it hard to really heat soak the IC. Or sit in traffic on a hot day. You'll get enough heat soak for sure. Ideally you want identical conditions for every test. Also keep in mind, a larger IC has more thermal mass so when it is soaked it'll take longer to cool than a smaller, similarly designed IC. You can't make the blanket statement that larger is better. You also need to include charge velocity. Poor charge velocity definitely shows up in off idle conditions. For me average temp drop across the IC core trending upwards is good. An improved design can be as effective as or more so than just Bigger. I don't and never will rock crawl but that looks to be pretty darned close to "stuck in traffic" regarding air flow. A bigger IC isn't going to help much if at all under those conditions. I"m guessing. My 2¢
To speak to some of that, I took data for ambient temp and humidity among other things. There is a ton of data. I made every effort to make the runs under similar conditions and as many runs in one direction as the opposite direction to mitigate the possibility of headwind/tailwind interference. I never logged data in my commuting (1+ hr each way), but I never noticed any issues stock--nobody should with a modern vehicle. I did have my air-cooled Harley overheat in the DC area traffic, though, and that was terrific!

Improved design? No replacement for displacement, haha. We're just comparing apples to apples and the bigger apple makes more juice.

All this time I assumed @Squatch had a Sasquatch. It's, like, his identity and everything. My world is shattered.
It all started when they offered and then took away ManSquatch... then, I just couldn't wait for BigDealer to stop hating on Granger and bought a lot lizard.... wait, I'm getting word that lot lizard is not the correct term. ;)

Obeh4ve

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
To speak to some of that, I took data for ambient temp and humidity among other things. There is a ton of data. I made every effort to make the runs under similar conditions and as many runs in one direction as the opposite direction to mitigate the possibility of headwind/tailwind interference. I never logged data in my commuting (1+ hr each way), but I never noticed any issues stock--nobody should with a modern vehicle. I did have my air-cooled Harley overheat in the DC area traffic, though, and that was terrific!

Improved design? No replacement for displacement, haha. We're just comparing apples to apples and the bigger apple makes more juice.

It all started when they offered and then took away ManSquatch... then, I just couldn't wait for BigDealer to stop hating on Granger and bought a lot lizard.... wait, I'm getting word that lot lizard is not the correct term. ;)
Thanks much for the additional info. Now I'm off to read your CVF Hot and Cold pipes post. The pipes and IC I'm thinking will be very helpful added to the Ford Performance tune. The bump in boost will definitely be helped with the mods you have. I'm new to the community and many folks here are very helpful.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice write-up. I plan to get an intercooler soon. I am waiting to see what the Injen intercooler looks like, it should be released Q1 of this year. I have the charge pipes on there way, so I am excited to see how that helps with performance.

@Squatch did you install the CV charge pipes yet? Also, I see you are in Miami. Are you part of Miami Dade Bronco group?

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice write-up. I plan to get an intercooler soon. I am waiting to see what the Injen intercooler looks like, it should be released Q1 of this year. I have the charge pipes on there way, so I am excited to see how that helps with performance.

@Squatch did you install the CV charge pipes yet? Also, I see you are in Miami. Are you part of Miami Dade Bronco group?
Thank you.

I did install the charge pipes and put up a thread here.

I am not a part of that group, but I only keep about 1.5 friends here.
Sponsored