Sponsored

Well, This Isn't Starting Off Well... Rear Main Seal Leak?

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Picked up my 2.7 Black Diamond on 8/30. Besides splotchy paint and glitchy 8" screen, I'm happy with it... Until. I was underneath of it inspecting everything this weekend when I notice a small spot of oil on the block casting boss I have circled. I chalked it up to possible overfilling or just being new, so I wiped it off. Today I drove 20 or so miles and rechecked it when I got home. There was another very small spot of oil forming that had collected on that same boss. (I wiped it off before I took the pic, which was dumb, I know). It's never been offroad yet and has stayed in "normal" driving mode. In other words, babied.

So.... yeah. I'm assuming this means the rear main is either bad or installed wrong. Am I over analyzing it? There does appear there have been a few reported, but not a lot. So to fix, does the shop drop the entire engine, or just the transmission? I suppose I'll go ahead and call my local dealer and get on a schedule to look at it. This just sucks. I wanted this rig to be perfect, but looks like I'm heading down the wrong road already. :confused:
Ford Bronco Well, This Isn't Starting Off Well... Rear Main Seal Leak? rear main seal
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There have been a few similar leaks posted recently which turned out to be a valve cover leak on the back of the engine.

OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There have been a few similar leaks posted recently which turned out to be a valve cover leak on the back of the engine.
I do a lot of wrenching on my cars, and honestly, it looks weird for a rear main leak. It's definitely oil and not transmission fluid tho. I'm going to keep my eye on it and the oil level for a week or so. May need to get an appt with my local Ford shop to take a look.

I hate this because I FREAKING love this rig!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hopefully something simple. Keep us posted

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just the transmission
I was hoping you’d see this! I trust your knowledge, being you work on these rigs. With what I described, you think it’s a rear main? I can wait a few days to post a better pic to show the specific area of where oil is collecting.

Thanks again!!

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do a lot of wrenching on my cars, and honestly, it looks weird for a rear main leak. It's definitely oil and not transmission fluid tho. I'm going to keep my eye on it and the oil level for a week or so. May need to get an appt with my local Ford shop to take a look.

I hate this because I FREAKING love this rig!
Make the appt. Usually a long wait.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was hoping you’d see this! I trust your knowledge, being you work on these rigs. With what I described, you think it’s a rear main? I can wait a few days to post a better pic to show the specific area of where oil is collecting.

Thanks again!!
It’s tough to say without actually looking at it. But if a good inspection of the back of the valve covers/cylinder heads show nothing, I would suspect rear main.

OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update: got a scheduled appt in a couple of days with my local dealer. Wish me luck. I'll update this thread when I get a final diagnosis

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going to suggest running by dealer, getting an appointment set and have a couple bottles of oil dye put in so it has a chance to show up on the day of the appointment. If it's a slow leak, they may add dye the day of the appointment and let it run outside until they can get it to show up. If you're driving around for a few days it's more likely there'll be traces show up and help make the techs life easier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was going to suggest running by dealer, getting an appointment set and have a couple bottles of oil dye put in so it has a chance to show up on the day of the appointment. If it's a slow leak, they may add dye the day of the appointment and let it run outside until they can get it to show up. If you're driving around for a few days it's more likely there'll be traces show up and help make the techs life easier.
Appreciate the reply, Flip! Like I said, darn it, I love this rig. Hoping for minimal downtime.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the reply, Flip! Like I said, darn it, I love this rig. Hoping for minimal downtime.
It's entirely possible they come back and say they don't see a leak and that the drips are residual assembly lubes or spillage. Probably a leak but we've seen drips that ended up being a result of assembly mess from somewhere up the powertrain assembly line.

OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's entirely possible they come back and say they don't see a leak and that the drips are residual assembly lubes or spillage. Probably a leak but we've seen drips that ended up being a result of assembly mess from somewhere up the powertrain assembly line.
I'll keep everyone updated. As stated, I really appreciate those like yourself that know these engines inside and out.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn't be shocked if there is some assembly lubrication used in various attachments of things. It may simply be that. It doesn't hurt anything if you let it go for a little while to see if it gets worse or just stops. I trust the manufacture assembling the vehicle than I do the dealer mechanic pulling things apart to replace a rear main seal if it doesn't need it.

KosmicKid

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX '14 Jaguar XFR-S 18 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will bet valve cover issue.
Just took mine in for it's yearly maintenance, they found a leak in the same area thought it the rear mail seal but upon further review it's the valve cover. Something to do with a rear bolt and when it get loose the oil leaks down the bell housing and mimics a rear main seal leak.
Good Luck getting it fixed in a timely manner!
Sponsored