Sponsored

We're going on a ski trip in California this winter. Caltrans says I need to have tire chains on board. Can anyone suggest some?

OP
OP

Murgatroyd

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 4-door 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Depends on the CHP Officer letting you through. I would buy a set of cable chains just to have. I keep cables in both my 4x4 trucks here just in case even with triple peak tires on both.
Yeah, this is what I'm gonna do. I'll have a set and maybe never use them. It's not that big of a deal to me. Thanks.
Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last time I saw a requirement for chains, All Season tires were an acceptable alternative. Then again, Iā€™ve lived in Houston the last 35 years, so what do I know. Did do the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs about 8 years ago. No chains thereā€¦.
Thatā€™s how it is in Utah.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve lived in Reno for 45 years and Iā€™ve never heard of a chain requirement for 4WD vehicles in the Sierras. If youā€™ve got a 4WD vehicle with snow tires youā€™re good as long as the road is open. When it gets really bad the requirement is either chains mandatory for 2wd vehicles or 4WD with snow tires. The next step is closure. I donā€™t know of any all terrain tires that arenā€™t also rated as snow tires. They also donā€™t look at you hard is youā€™re in a 4WD vehicle.
Does anyone know if any of the Bronco factory tires are snow rated?

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if any of the Bronco factory tires are snow rated?
My Sasquatch tires are mud and snow rated and every AT tire I know of is too.

Ford Bronco We're going on a ski trip in California this winter. Caltrans says I need to have tire chains on board. Can anyone suggest some? 161EA7DB-61A6-4D32-AFE4-13A9534C3B26

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too add I also believe the KO2s have the three peak rating like the Toyo ATIIIā€˜s I have on my truck.

Ford Bronco We're going on a ski trip in California this winter. Caltrans says I need to have tire chains on board. Can anyone suggest some? 5D12AC1A-E213-415F-8D12-20C282D7C8A3

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never seen R3 conditions in my 20 winters in Tahoe driving through chain controls dozens of times each winter. In the Tahoe area, they close the road after R2 conditions. I have gotten stuck in Reno overnight with road closures due to snow as late as May 23rd.
The difference is NorCal vs SoCal. I wouldn't trust a SoCal driver in the snow even if they were driving a plow with chains on :LOL:! Smart Caltrans people down there if they are actually checking.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference is NorCal vs SoCal. I wouldn't trust a SoCal driver in the snow even if they were driving a plow with chains on :LOL:! Smart Caltrans people down there if they are actually checking.
Very good point!

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

CHP or Caltrans will stop your Bronco in many of our local mountains during R3 conditions. My old Raptor with 37's was stopped. Happens in Big bear Lake a few times every couple of seasons . Vulcun tire has good prices. The cable type S traction devices are easy to use work fine. Just try them on before you need to use them in the snow.

huskerhiker

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4dr Badlands non SAS, modified.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CA has three levels of chain controls.

https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls

I've been to Tahoe in R2 multiple times in various 4wd/AWD vehicles and just get waved through as most others have said. For the AWD I've carried chains just in case, but I wouldn't bother with the Bronco. I can't remember ever being in a R3 situation. Road is usually closed at that point.
I agree with this. My experience in california mountains has been they close the road before they make 4wd with decent tires put chains on. Carrying them is good though.

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can definitely tell who's never seen the rare snowfalls where chains are absolutely critical.

Here are the ones I keep in my bed during AK winters. Cable style, sized for your tires, so check the chart. Some debate on drive tires vs steering tires, best idea is to have two sets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZA2ME

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Sasquatch tires are mud and snow rated and every AT tire I know of is too.

thanks! Do you (or anyone) know if that is any different than the rating with the mountain / snowflake symbol?

Ford Bronco We're going on a ski trip in California this winter. Caltrans says I need to have tire chains on board. Can anyone suggest some? 5D12AC1A-E213-415F-8D12-20C282D7C8A3

Racerdad

Badlands
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a 34 year homeowner at Kirkwood (8,000' just west of Carson Pass) we have driven in the Sierra in all conditions.

The comments above are generally correct. CalTrans WILL check to make sure that you have chains in the vehicle. They will turn you around if you don't. Even though you will probably never use them.

So the answer to your question is: Buy the least expensive real chains or cable chains available. Don't buy anything ("traction devices") that may not be approved by CalTrans. The roads will close around Tahoe before they go R3, but you have to have chains in the vehicle.

Extra advice: Carry a shovel and blankets in your vehicle. Other people do stupid things in the snow and you may be stuck through no fault of your own.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes theyā€˜re different ratings (three peak better) but as long as your tire is marked with the M+S rating Iā€™m 99% certain it meets the ā€œsnow tireā€œ requirement in CA. Iā€™ve never seen CHP look at the marking, theyā€˜ve just looked at the vehicle and the tires and waved us through. That said this is around Tahoe and Donner and based on input on this thread it sounds like the southern Sierras CHP are different.

Even though I wrote Iā€™ve never been told to chain up a 4WD vehicle with snow tires I do carry a set of chains during the winter. Those have only been used offroad when Iā€™ve gotten into gumbo mud or deep snow ā€œaccidentallyā€œ. If itā€™s really nasty in the mountains I stay away if possible, itā€™s not worth the hassle of a 1 - 2 hour drive taking 4 - 8 hours. Living 30 minutes from Tahoe makes the choice easy and Iā€™ve stayed in the Bay Area for an extra night a few times to avoid the drive.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are plenty of drivers from the Bay Area on weekends in Tahoe who don't have a clue on how to drive on snow/ice. I've seen dozens of spin outs on highways 80 and 50 from people driving with the wrong tires and/or too fast for conditions.

Tires matter a lot. I grew up in WI/MN driving rear wheel drive vehicles but we always put winter tires during the winter. Last year I got away with all season M/S for the MN winter but my vehicle is AWD and weighs 5000 pounds. There were a few days when I wish I had snow/winter tires.
Sponsored