Catmandu1999

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Triumph Spitfire
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, we reserved our Bronco in May '21, using our friend's dealership in Maryland. As it does, life happened, and we no longer live in Maryland. With all that was going on, the consensus was "Don't change anything!" So we didn't. Truck got built 03/09/2023 and I went back to Maryland to take delivery. I probably could have shipped it west for around $1400, but decided to just drive it across the country as an adventure. After delivery, I parked it at my Uncle's nearby hot rod shop on the Wye River.

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 01wye.JPG

There were a few key mods I wanted to do prior to the trip west that would be easier in the heated shop with all the right tools: underbody coat to hide and protect the pinch welds, dash speakers and sub/amp addition since mine got deleted (thanks @RagnarKon and @JimV), @Mabett console and glove box organizers, paracord grab handles, mudflaps to stop rock chips, gas struts for the hood, etc.

I flew back to Maryland on Wednesday with a bag full of mods to do. All went well, except I could not get my Uncle's laptop to play well with ForScan, so I could not actually activate the amp and sub (Note: the new dash speakers and stock kick panel speakers worked just fine on the trip), and as 0200 approached, I decided not to do the rear mud flaps.

Even after the late night in the shop, I woke up Thursday with the sun as I always do, and decided to hit the road.

The general plan to start the trip was to give the engine a good break in for the first 1000 miles, rather than drone along Interstate highways with cruise control set. US 50 is a significant roadway in our lives, both on the east and west coast, so I more or less decided to start off following that route, letting traffic and stoplights, etc. give the engine a good bit of variable loads for the break in.

This break in plan and my timing put me right in the middle of rush hour traffic as I headed straight through DC, but it was not as bad as it could have been: I stayed away from the Cherry Blossom nuttiness near the Tidal Basin!

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 02washington.JPG

Taking the non-interstate route was actually quite interesting. You gain an appreciation for the fact that people found the easy way to get from A to B, usually following riverbeds, first on foot or horseback, but then eventually with cars, which then established the US highway routes. Plus, you get to see cool attractions along the way.

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 03dinos.JPG

I pressed on US 50 through the middle of West Virginia, and got as far as Cincinnati Thursday evening, where my wife was able to fly in after a work trip to join me. The trip got much better!

We hit the same US 50 route Friday morning, sharing the drive time. Once again, points of interest would just throw themselves at us, necessitating a turnaround for the appropriate picture.

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 04paulhenge.JPG

We were having a good old time, discovering the even limited features of our base model (the center console window switches will take a WHILE to become natural).

As we passed the St. Louis area, the odometer tripped over 1,000 miles, so we started gravitating to some interstate driving. In the middle of Missouri, we saw the forecast weather on the horizon. Suddenly, lots of brake lights ahead of us on the interstate. As we got towards that area, we saw why: hail the size of golf balls piled up everywhere! Several cars were pulled over with damage to their windshields. "Good thing we missed that, eh, dear?" I was driving, and decided to exit to the access road to get around the stopped traffic on the interstate. At the top of the off ramp, another deluge of rain started, so I just pulled over to sit it out.

And then it happened. Another hailstorm. Our three week old Bronco, with all of 1,200 miles. And all we could do is just sit there and listen to the carnage. What a gut punch.

We pressed on and stopped for the night in Kansas City. There were a couple of tall, quality bourbon pours paid for Friday night as we wallowed in our sorrow.

But then, we saw the news, and realized that same line of storms that hit us was doing far worse to other folks, and our attitude changed. A truck is just a thing, we were lucky.

We woke up and continued on Saturday morning. There were some serious prairie winds in Kansas and eastern Colorado, but we got through that and enjoyed the scenery west of Denver as we headed up and over the Rockies. We were VERY happy not to be in the stop and go eastbound traffic on I70 going back to Denver from the ski resorts. We made it to Grand Junction, Colorado for the night.

My wife had to go back to work today, so I left her early this Sunday morning at the hotel to fly out of Grand Junction, and made the final push home alone. Since the trip started on US 50, I decided to finish it that way.

Cruising along in the middle of Utah, just after sunrise, I passed an unmarked trailhead. After continuing on a bit, I decided I could spare 30 minutes to initiate our Bronco to the off road life, and turned around to hit the trail! I was pretty sure that I could find a good photo op in the process. I was right.

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 05offroad.JPG

So, yes kids, a Base Bronco on steelies with road tires can, in fact, do some good work in the dirt (not that it will keep me from looking for some big ol' take off's and a 2" lift 😁).

I got home late this afternoon, here is the summary since I picked up the truck from the dealer:

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 06triptotal.JPG

It is, I believe, an honest 20 mpg vehicle on a road trip. But once you start trying to push this flat-plate design through greater than 80 mph air (either wind or throttle induced), it really starts to suck down the petrol!

I am pretty sure the really heavy snow is done for this 75-year winter (now that is April!) and I can take my time to get things tire-wise set up for next winter. And then, of course, there are the rock sliders to install. And the seat covers with heaters. And a bumper with a winch. And rear deck for the grand-dog. And, and, . . . 🙂

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 08snowbank.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Congrats!!! Love Wye River crabs!

Hunt

Base
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Love the look of the 2 door base! It looks the most like the original Bronco. Nice color too!

Free Pizza

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the Base. Hope it's a manual.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice write up.You passed within 3 miles of my house on Rt.50. West of Hillsboro and about 37 miles east of Cincinnati.BTW.......Nice looking Base.

Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fantastic looking Bronco. Love the color!
Great write up. Keep the travelogues coming.
When are you going to start doing freelance writing?

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Congrats on the new Bronco!
Be sure to keep us posted here & on the Base Owners thread!

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nice - hopefully the hail damage is not too bad. I’d keep an eye on top of the MIC top though.

Space Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 1st Edition, etc...
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, we reserved our Bronco in May '21, using our friend's dealership in Maryland. As it does, life happened, and we no longer live in Maryland. With all that was going on, the consensus was "Don't change anything!" So we didn't. Truck got built 03/09/2023 and I went back to Maryland to take delivery. I probably could have shipped it west for around $1400, but decided to just drive it across the country as an adventure. After delivery, I parked it at my Uncle's nearby hot rod shop on the Wye River.

Ford Bronco Westward HO! Cross-Country Delivery Trip in Base Bronco -- Maryland > Nevada 08snowbank.JPG

There were a few key mods I wanted to do prior to the trip west that would be easier in the heated shop with all the right tools: underbody coat to hide and protect the pinch welds, dash speakers and sub/amp addition since mine got deleted (thanks @RagnarKon and @JimV), @Mabett console and glove box organizers, paracord grab handles, mudflaps to stop rock chips, gas struts for the hood, etc.

I flew back to Maryland on Wednesday with a bag full of mods to do. All went well, except I could not get my Uncle's laptop to play well with ForScan, so I could not actually activate the amp and sub (Note: the new dash speakers and stock kick panel speakers worked just fine on the trip), and as 0200 approached, I decided not to do the rear mud flaps.

Even after the late night in the shop, I woke up Thursday with the sun as I always do, and decided to hit the road.

The general plan to start the trip was to give the engine a good break in for the first 1000 miles, rather than drone along Interstate highways with cruise control set. US 50 is a significant roadway in our lives, both on the east and west coast, so I more or less decided to start off following that route, letting traffic and stoplights, etc. give the engine a good bit of variable loads for the break in.

This break in plan and my timing put me right in the middle of rush hour traffic as I headed straight through DC, but it was not as bad as it could have been: I stayed away from the Cherry Blossom nuttiness near the Tidal Basin!

Taking the non-interstate route was actually quite interesting. You gain an appreciation for the fact that people found the easy way to get from A to B, usually following riverbeds, first on foot or horseback, but then eventually with cars, which then established the US highway routes. Plus, you get to see cool attractions along the way.

I pressed on US 50 through the middle of West Virginia, and got as far as Cincinnati Thursday evening, where my wife was able to fly in after a work trip to join me. The trip got much better!

We hit the same US 50 route Friday morning, sharing the drive time. Once again, points of interest would just throw themselves at us, necessitating a turnaround for the appropriate picture.

We were having a good old time, discovering the even limited features of our base model (the center console window switches will take a WHILE to become natural).

As we passed the St. Louis area, the odometer tripped over 1,000 miles, so we started gravitating to some interstate driving. In the middle of Missouri, we saw the forecast weather on the horizon. Suddenly, lots of brake lights ahead of us on the interstate. As we got towards that area, we saw why: hail the size of golf balls piled up everywhere! Several cars were pulled over with damage to their windshields. "Good thing we missed that, eh, dear?" I was driving, and decided to exit to the access road to get around the stopped traffic on the interstate. At the top of the off ramp, another deluge of rain started, so I just pulled over to sit it out.

And then it happened. Another hailstorm. Our three week old Bronco, with all of 1,200 miles. And all we could do is just sit there and listen to the carnage. What a gut punch.

We pressed on and stopped for the night in Kansas City. There were a couple of tall, quality bourbon pours paid for Friday night as we wallowed in our sorrow.

But then, we saw the news, and realized that same line of storms that hit us was doing far worse to other folks, and our attitude changed. A truck is just a thing, we were lucky.

We woke up and continued on Saturday morning. There were some serious prairie winds in Kansas and eastern Colorado, but we got through that and enjoyed the scenery west of Denver as we headed up and over the Rockies. We were VERY happy not to be in the stop and go eastbound traffic on I70 going back to Denver from the ski resorts. We made it to Grand Junction, Colorado for the night.

My wife had to go back to work today, so I left her early this Sunday morning at the hotel to fly out of Grand Junction, and made the final push home alone. Since the trip started on US 50, I decided to finish it that way.

Cruising along in the middle of Utah, just after sunrise, I passed an unmarked trailhead. After continuing on a bit, I decided I could spare 30 minutes to initiate our Bronco to the off road life, and turned around to hit the trail! I was pretty sure that I could find a good photo op in the process. I was right.

So, yes kids, a Base Bronco on steelies with road tires can, in fact, do some good work in the dirt (not that it will keep me from looking for some big ol' take off's and a 2" lift 😁).

I got home late this afternoon, here is the summary since I picked up the truck from the dealer:

It is, I believe, an honest 20 mpg vehicle on a road trip. But once you start trying to push this flat-plate design through greater than 80 mph air (either wind or throttle induced), it really starts to suck down the petrol!

I am pretty sure the really heavy snow is done for this 75-year winter (now that is April!) and I can take my time to get things tire-wise set up for next winter. And then, of course, there are the rock sliders to install. And the seat covers with heaters. And a bumper with a winch. And rear deck for the grand-dog. And, and, . . . 🙂

US Rt 50 all across West Virginia is one of my favorites drives. Spend the time and reap the rewards. A lot more fun than interstates, as long as you can spare the time. You drove right by Idaho Springs exit off of I70, West of Denver. An excellent BBQ place on the banks of Clear Creek, "Smokin' Yards BBQ". Highly recommended, and an easy on/off from I70. Same exit can take you to St. Mary's Glacier, an easy day hike.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like a great adventure. Congrats on your new Bronco and hope you have many more happy miles together.

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love these types of road-trip stories. Thanks for sharing! Glad you got your Bronco...

Thank God for the exorbitant price of plane tickets - has forced the wife and I to drive from SE Washington to the UP of Michigan (and back) this coming July. Get to stop by Bozeman, MT to see the daughter at her internship at MSU. Probably take a different way back. Road-trips are the best in order to see this great Country! Can't wait to do it in our Bronco!

Sgroll

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra 6spd, 2018 GTI, 1966 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is exactly why I visit this forum. Great photos and write-up!!!! Someday, I hope to do the same.
Sponsored