Tucker
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Bronco
Badlands
Unfortunately I think this is going to be a common problem :(
8d41dd04-af1c-4938-b8dc-124b8b07b9f9-jpeg.jpg
I wonder if a clear plastic protector will help on theses. I know there is some out there that go on the outside of a window.
Advertisement

wolfhawk73

Base
First Name
Heath
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger
Bronco
Base
I'm curious. Why would that be normal?
He was driving across multiple states with many temp and humidity changes. Chances are he had warmer, humid air (hello, NC...among other places) in the headlight housing and ran into some cold air. The water vapor in the headlight just condensed inside the housing. This probably happened repeatedly without enough time in a warmer, dryer area to allow the water to evaporate.

I'm glad they vent the housings now and allow water to escape. Eventually, all housings spring a leak of some sort. Then once the moisture gets in there it doesn't have enough of a vent to escape. I've seen some that have water sloshing around inside.

wolfhawk73

Base
First Name
Heath
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger
Bronco
Base
Not supose to be normal. That moisture will start turning in yellow the headlight with time. Go to your dealer and they should replace them.
I doubt that'll happen. Heat, UV from sunlight, and pollutants in the air are what cause headlights to yellow. Polycarbonate is tough and looks great but doesn't care for the elements.

Skydoc

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 , LS3 V8 Jeep Wrangler jku
Bronco
Badlands
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

i heard folks predicting the windshield would be vulnerable to rocks and cracks, i guess it sits kind of vertcle
Not as bad as the wranglers I've owned though

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Bronco
Base
I doubt that'll happen. Heat, UV from sunlight, and pollutants in the air are what cause headlights to yellow. Polycarbonate is tough and looks great but doesn't care for the elements.
They way I see it, if moisture can get inside, pollutants and others element can do it as well affecting the cosmetic durability of the headlights. Also in winter, that moisture can be frozen and it could affect the efficacy of the headlight.

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Must have missed @Sreevie out there… I only saw one Bronco Sport out there when we went to the Badlands on October 10th… beautiful day in SD.

wolfhawk73

Base
First Name
Heath
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger
Bronco
Base
They way I see it, if moisture can get inside, pollutants and others element can do it as well affecting the cosmetic durability of the headlights. Also in winter, that moisture can be frozen and it could affect the efficacy of the headlight.
Maybe. From what I've read, heat from the lamp opens microscopic pores in the lens that allow contaminates in, so I guess that could be on the inside as well as the outside. While driving, though, I think road contaminants, exhaust fumes, dirt, etc, cause a large majority of issues, and UV light turns it yellow. Polycarbonate can stop bullets but not mother nature, LOL. I've restored a few sets of lights, and working just on the outside has made them crystal clear and eliminated the yellowing, but I've never restored any that had a lot of water inside.

The better UV-protectant infused clearcoats on headlights stop a lot of the damage, but man, once that clearcoat starts going...

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awaiting my Bronco
Bronco
Badlands
Get use to the moisture in WA lol. 25 years there now full time in AZ. Lots of good roads and trails in WA. Sipe those tires in WA at Les Schwab and they will last longer and bite better in the rain and snow in WA.
UNLESS you are on the dry side of the state...then no worries with the moisture. Either way, welcome to the PNW.

Advertisement

Advertisement