2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What are the best perch colors out there on the market? Looking to add to my 2023 wildtrak. Also, what size do most people go with?

Do the effect the warranty on the vehicle at all?

How much does it affect the quality?
Sponsored

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What are the best perch colors out there on the market? Also, what size do most people go with?

Do they effect the warranty on the vehicle at all?

Is the concern about the warranty because the perch collars are re-locating the struts downward, thereby increasing CV downtravel ?

Just trying to learn new terminology. It would seem like a good strategy, if the CVs can handle the extra downtravel.

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is the concern about the warranty because the perch collars are re-locating the struts downward, thereby increasing CV downtravel ?

Just trying to learn new terminology. It would seem like a good strategy, if the CVs can handle the extra downtravel.
Collars do not change up or down travel, just ride height

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No effect on suspension? Does that mean the collar has the same effect as a partial body lift?

Just trying to learn terminology that's new to me. I guess the top-hat spacer re-locates the strut, thereby increasing droop? But the collar does not re-locate the strut, and does not increase droop?

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Collars do not change up or down travel, just ride height

Now I think I understand. The perch collar is like an internal spacer? That's how it lifts the vehicle's ride height without changing strut travel? In IFS jeeps I'm used to seeing them just call 'em spacer lifts, so that's why I needed to learn a new word.

Sponsored

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess since the perch collar only increases ride height, and does not change travel, the 1" perch collar would allow the tire 1" of increased uptravel and decreased downtravel.

So a person who increases front ride height 1" with a perch collar would also want to use a 1" top-hat up front, to restore the front tires to the factory's equal amounts of uptravel and downtravel.

In a nutshell, lifting with factory shocks means equal parts of internal perch lift and external top-hat droop lift up front, so there's not a change in ratio of front tire uptravel vs downtravel.

Last edited:

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here's a youtube vid that explains it pretty well

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I guess since the perch collar only increases ride height, and does not change travel, the 1" perch collar would allow the tire 1" of increased uptravel and decreased downtravel.

So a person who increases front ride height 1" with a perch collar would also want to use a 1" top-hat up front, to restore the front tires to the factory's equal amounts of uptravel and downtravel.

In a nutshell, lifting with factory shocks means equal parts of internal perch lift and external top-hat droop lift up front, so there's not a change in ratio of front tire uptravel vs downtravel.
No, afaik collars do NOT change any sort of travel at all. None. Zip . Notta. Think of it like this, your strut has a max extended and max compressed length. Nothing changes that except new bump stops.

Collars just change where the ride height is.

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
100% Agreed, the strut travel remains exactly the same.

The point I was trying to make is that increasing ride height via the perch collar means there's now more room above the tire.

It got a bit wordy, but that's why I was trying to talk about tire travel vs strut travel. Use the perch collar to make more room above the tires, but now that same amount of strut travel is no longer equally divided between uptravel and downtravel.

Suppose before installing the perch collars you had 8" of travel, 4" up and 4" down. After you lift 1" via perch collar, now that 8" travel is divided 5" up and 3" down?

I'm thinking that's how it works because the perch collar is installed inside the strut?

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Think of it like this, your strut has a max extended and max compressed length. Nothing changes that except new bump stops.

Agreed, changing the ride height via perch collars does not ensure that there will be no rubbing with larger tires, because, as you say, the travel has not changed.

Not having insurance against rubbing does not mean the perch collars are worthless.

When you're trying to turn with large tires, you're usually not fully stuffed on one side. That's partly because of the difference between IFS vs solid axle. A solid axle jeep is more likely to be fully stuffed on one side, so making room for larger tires without extending the bumpstops does not improve offroad capability.

With IFS, you're less likely to be fully stuffed at low speed, so making room for a larger tire via perch collar without extending the bumpstops may have some utility offroad.

Sponsored

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Suppose before installing the perch collars you had 8" of travel, 4" up and 4" down. After you lift 1" via perch collar, now that 8" travel is divided 5" up and 3" down?

I'm pretty sure that's how the perch collars work. As you say, the only way to absolutely ensure clearance for larger tires is to extend the bumpstops.

Even though bumpstop extension is required for a guarantee of tire clearance, I don't think that means perch collars are worthless without bumpstop extension.

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I'm pretty sure that's how the perch collars work. As you say, the only way to absolutely ensure clearance for larger tires is to extend the bumpstops.

Even though bumpstop extension is required for a guarantee of tire clearance, I don't think that means perch collars are worthless without bumpstop extension.
There ya go, now you got the idea. Your travel analogy I believe is spot on. Yes If you get rubbing at ride height, but not with a little more strut extention, perches would help, but IMO, you should aim for no rub through full articultion/lock, unless your staying at the mall.

Bumpstops would decrease uptravel therefor decrease rubbing on fenders, however then you lose articulation.
top hats do the same but with same travel, increase droop, increase fender space, however this increases CV droop angle.

A body lift gives you more fender space, without changing any type of geometry.

I would always error on the side of NOT adding droop if possible,but also staying around a 1" body lift for aesthetics.

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
IMO perch collars are going to have less of a chance of ford axing a warrantly, if the dealer knows WTF they are talking about, as your NOT changing any type of max geometry, however you ARE chaning the CV angles during regular ride height.

I have about 2" increase (not true lift increase as I have a winch/bumper) in the front with perch collars and cannot tell any diff in quality- on sasq. With the SasQ coilovers, they have a happy spot they in the strut travel to keep the dampeners happy, I believe with the 2" I have I'm just outside or on that happy spot, but still rides just fine.

Again, I'd personally stay away from anything that changes max geometry unless you absolutely have too (in the case of 37-38" you MAY have too depending on the tire) Just more ammo for the dealer to void shit.

The main downfall with perch collars are you are essentially compressing the spring more to get the lift, so that is where your ride quality would change. Top Hats shouldn't really have any change in ride quality.

BOTH require alignment afterword, which is a whole nother animal. Once your start lifting the front 2+" of true lift, your alignment starts pulling OUT the CV axel. That is where new UCAs come in to keep the CVs in place with a higher lift.
with my 2.25" collars in the front, I gained about 1.5" of ride height. I am stillable to get into alignment specs with OEM, but anymore And ill belooking at new UCAs

Last edited:

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
with my 2.25" collars in the front, I gained about 1.5" of ride height. I am stillable to get into alignment specs with OEM

Thanks, it's great to be able to evaluate the geometry of different types of lifts, so there should be no surprises.

On the front perch collars, I should be thinking in terms of a two-thirds ratio? So a 1.5" perch collar should give me about 1" of perch lift ?
Sponsored