Sponsored

What systems are affected when re-calibrating the windshield sensors?

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just had my windshield replaced and re-calibrated. That wouldn’t affect my speedometer reading, would it??
I drive by 3 different radars in my neighborhood, and they all say I’m going slower than my speedo.
No other mods or wheels/tires or tunes. ….nothing.
Coincidence or are the two linked somehow????
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No, it won’t affect speedometer at all.
Most speedometers are off a slight amount from factory, so it’s likely always been that way.

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No, it won’t affect speedometer at all.
Most speedometers are off a slight amount from factory, so it’s likely always been that way.
Thanks. I didn’t think so.
It’s been pretty accurate in the past. I need to figure out what changed 🤷🏻‍♂️

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've noticed with mine I'm 1 mph slower than what my speedo shows. Personally I love it like that (so when I'm doing 65 I'm really doing 64)

I attribute it to the fact that our 35s are not true 35s.

I don't understand why a windshield replacement needs to reprogram anything, but if they are messing with calibration settings, I could easily see it messing with stuff like this.

Someone mentioned they drive your vehicle as part of the calibration? So no chance their device isn't using gps to determine speed and adjusting stuff?

I heard that even getting an alignment done now could require some sort of calibration.

It's gotten out of hand :)

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've noticed with mine I'm 1 mph slower than what my speedo shows. Personally I love it like that (so when I'm doing 65 I'm really doing 64)

I don't understand why a windshield replacement needs to reprogram anything, but if they are messing with calibration settings, I could easily see it messing with stuff like this.

Someone mentioned they drive your vehicle as part of the calibration? So no chance their device isn't using gps to determine speed and adjusting stuff?

I heard that even getting an alignment done now could require some sort of calibration.

The calibration is for the cameras and sensors for collision avoidance that are mounted on the windshield. So they have to drive it to make sure it’s identifying stuff properly.

My speedo had been right on. I thought maybe the radar signs might be off. But all three the same amount??? I’ll be upsizing my tires soon (32” to 34”), I’ll get it checked then.

Sponsored

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The only thing that needs to be recalibrated is the IPMA if your vehicle has one, which I'm pretty sure most do. Every now and then I find one that doesn't and it surprises me. The only reason to drive it is to help the IPMA do a relearn procedure

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My speedo had been right on. I thought maybe the radar signs might be off. But all three the same amount???
It's possible. The radar in my neighborhood always indicated 2mph slower than actual. This was confirmed by GPS.

Bronc’n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Doesn’t have anything associated with speedo. Mine is 3 mph off at slower speeds. If the sign says 27 my speedo shows 30. Close enough for me.
Just had my windshield replaced and re-calibrated. That wouldn’t affect my speedometer reading, would it??
I drive by 3 different radars in my neighborhood, and they all say I’m going slower than my speedo.
No other mods or wheels/tires or tunes. ….nothing.
Coincidence or are the two linked somehow????

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, I think I'm about to find this out. My windshield just got shattered by a rock on the highway. The local windshield place said they can do the windshield no problem, but can't do the calibration because I have a lift installed.

I don't have lane keeping or navigation or anything, the only thing I can think of that might be affected would be auto-high beam?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, I think I'm about to find this out. My windshield just got shattered by a rock on the highway. The local windshield place said they can do the windshield no problem, but can't do the calibration because I have a lift installed.

I don't have lane keeping or navigation or anything, the only thing I can think of that might be affected would be auto-high beam?
Pre-collision assist.
They should still be able to calibrate it even with a lift and tires, mine has a 3" lift with 37's and I calibrated mine perfectly fine.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Pre-collision assist.
They should still be able to calibrate it even with a lift and tires, mine has a 3" lift with 37's and I calibrated mine perfectly fine.
Thanks I forgot all about that one. I will ask
about it again when I’m there tomorrow

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I'm sitting at the glass shop right now, and I spoke with the recalibration tech - they are one of only a couple of shops that can do recalibrations where I live.

Now - he could be blowing smoke, but I'll let folks make their own determinations. Just relaying what my conversation was with the tech here.

So all Broncos have a camera up behind the rear view mirror - even the base model. Pretty much all new recent-model cars have one. More advanced models can have multiple cameras and sensors and radar and everything else. (Most of us know this I realize, just telling the complete story).

They do have to pull the camera down to replace the windshield. The tech mentioned - if they do not unplug the camera, you don't strictly have to do a recalibration - the computer would never know. Just leave the camera hanging by the wiring harness and you can just snap it back in when the new glass is in. Some models (he couldn't confirm if Bronco would or not) - soon as the camera is unplugged it will void the current calibration to force a recal.

Most camera models have a sticker on them stating recal is required if the module is replaced or the windshield is replaced. But since the camera is hidden up under a bunch of trim panels, most people would never see it. I don't know if the Bronco one does or not specifically, but he showed me a replacement module for a Toyota he had laying in the shop and it was right there on top.

According to his training - the camera must be aligned within 0.6 degrees of center in order to properly see the road ahead. To far left/right is obvious, but he mentioned vertical also mattered a good deal since it deals with the horizon. Even just unplugging the camera, the quantity of bead of sealant or slight differences in window glass can easily exceed that 0.6 degrees.

Now, this brings into question a lot of various aftermarket equipment - he stated that anything that affects ride height or the pitch of the vehicle - lifts, suspension upgrades, adding weight which shifts ride height, differently sized tires - all of that technically voids the calibration of the camera. But no one thinks of it. Different vendors have different amounts of "variation" built into their camera image detection algorithms.

His concern was that - being lifted the camera calibration may already be void and incorrect, and that once he starts he may not be able to reconcile it and get a valid calibration to save. Looking at my rig, he didn't think it would be an issue (I don't have a huge lift or tires, it's fairly tame at 2.5" with 35's) and was going to try it, but if it wouldn't save it would have to go back to either go back to stock configuration to be calibrated, or have the dealer look at it.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Much like @RagnarKon predicted - mine cal’ed fine. There is an input for ride height that the tech updated

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wow that's crazy to think if you put a trailer on the back and get some ass hang, the calibration is voided :)

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well that didn’t last long 😡
Ford Bronco What systems are affected when re-calibrating the windshield sensors? IMG_9131
Sponsored