Sponsored

What will the new redesigned hardtop look like?

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Leaky roofs could be tied to the quality issues with it currently. Thicker material could prevent seepage and better finishing on the edges could help seal the edges better. With Ford behind the wheel of this with many vehicles waiting to be sold, i see them making sure it gets done right.

regarding the cardboard, i've seen server cabinet corners come off pallets with cardboard protecting them. the card board was super strong, could probably hit a baseball almost as well as a wood bat.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This best describes what I think my MIC top is made of. Some aircraft use skinned Kevlar panels. They use what appears to be huge temperature modifying presses to draw panels.
https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/blog/why-you-should-be-using-sandwich-panels/

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/shop/plates-panels-angles/sandwich-panels
From what I have read about the Bronco top is Ford decided to make two different sectional tops, the MIC and the Modular. The MIC seems to use a plastic panel sandwich construction out of a thermoformed plastic where the outer and inner shells are injection molded, then bonded to a plastic honeycomb inner structure for stiffness and to keep the panel weight low. I had previously thought the MIC top used what's called sheet molding compound (SMC). I've since learned the Modular top is constructed of SMC. SMC is a thermosetting plastic composite.

SMC is now a long-used plastic material used in the automotive industry for numerous body panel applications. The Pontiac Fiero was the first use of SMC for high-rate automobile body panel production. Since the early 1980's SMC has grown to wide use in the industry. It is lightweight, corrosion resistant, easy to produce at an effective cost point, and provides an excellent painted surface quality that matches well with steel and aluminum panels. I think that is why the painted Modular top uses SMC.

I think the MIC top was meant to be a lightweight less-expensive alternative to a painted Modular top. Themoforming plastics hold color well (hence the term Molded In Color) for those customers who are routinely remove the top and store it. Themoforming plastic parts are formed with several different techniques. It sounds like the Bronco MIC is constructed of injection-molded panels that are then made into a sandwich panel. It now appears the design of the MIC was a high-rate production engineering overreach. While there are numerous high-temperature resistant plastics used for thermoformed products, all of them are susceptible to "heat reforming". I have to question the use of a thermoformed plastic in an automotive roof application. It's a tough engineering challenge.

I would have tried injecting the cavity between the MIC panels with a structural thermosetting foam as a replacement for the honeycomb as a quick fix to see if it would work.

I'm sure MIC top 2.0 will be much better. Too bad Ford and Webasto found out too late.

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

More seriously, I'm in the Northwest. I'm not playing around with rain coming into my closed truck. Any leaking at all and it's a trip to the dealer to demand warranty satisfaction. That's likely a problem with individually crappy tops, and not a design flaw in all of them. 🤞

Incidentally my Mustang was leaky when I first moved here, too. FoMoCo took care of it.
Do you mean MoFoCo. Lol

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They won’t even admit that’s a problem, much less provide a solution.
What about the popcorn 🍿 sound?

I often wonder if that’s what we heard in the very early MOAB videos?

Sponsored

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder what changes were made to allow roof racks on 4 door squatches.

Marrowthirst

Badlands
First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 2006 Hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My friend told me today "I think Ford put too much effort in the planned obsolescence algorithm. I thought things were supposed make it off the show room floor first before everything fell apart."

Sponsored

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I have read about the Bronco top is Ford decided to make two different sectional tops, the MIC and the Modular. The MIC seems to use a plastic panel sandwich construction out of a thermoformed plastic where the outer and inner shells are injection molded, then bonded to a plastic honeycomb inner structure for stiffness and to keep the panel weight low. I had previously thought the MIC top used what's called sheet molding compound (SMC). I've since learned the Modular top is constructed of SMC. SMC is a thermosetting plastic composite.

SMC is now a long-used plastic material used in the automotive industry for numerous body panel applications. The Pontiac Fiero was the first use of SMC for high-rate automobile body panel production. Since the early 1980's SMC has grown to wide use in the industry. It is lightweight, corrosion resistant, easy to produce at an effective cost point, and provides an excellent painted surface quality that matches well with steel and aluminum panels. I think that is why the painted Modular top uses SMC.

I think the MIC top was meant to be a lightweight less-expensive alternative to a painted Modular top. Themoforming plastics hold color well (hence the term Molded In Color) for those customers who are routinely remove the top and store it. Themoforming plastic parts are formed with several different techniques. It sounds like the Bronco MIC is constructed of injection-molded panels that are then made into a sandwich panel. It now appears the design of the MIC was a high-rate production engineering overreach. While there are numerous high-temperature resistant plastics used for thermoformed products, all of them are susceptible to "heat reforming". I have to question the use of a thermoformed plastic in an automotive roof application. It's a tough engineering challenge.

I would have tried injecting the cavity between the MIC panels with a structural thermosetting foam as a replacement for the honeycomb as a quick fix to see if it would work.

I'm sure MIC top 2.0 will be much better. Too bad Ford and Webasto found out too late.
What does Jeep use? Why didn’t they copy that?

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base

Very informative. I know that in the aircraft industry they use structural panels with finishes on both sides. The panels are shaped in the flat and then formed in deep draw presses ( guessing 1000 ton + ). I believe the press dies have an integrated heating system to make the sheets malleable. These were interior components and the panels about 3/4” thick.

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, that bugs me; people shorting Ford Motor Company to FMC. FMC is Food Machinery Corporation.
I guess you didn't understand what I was putting down. MoFoCo translation is Mother F***** Company.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The should make it out of mushroom mycellium.

RookieMissSteak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep GC, 2021 Jeep JTR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Do you know why the mod tops were delayed? I had been assuming the problems with the tops were the same.
Sponsored