Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The original Batmobile should hold it's value. And makes for a great daily driver.
Ford Bronco What would hold value the best? Original_Batmobile_01
Sponsored

OP
OP
pony2bronco

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The original Batmobile should hold it's value. And makes for a great daily driver.
Is the costume included?

I'm going to wait until May and look into the monthly renal car gig. If it's really that cheap I can bag my lunch to make up the monthly cost of that. Sounds like a good idea.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a terrible time to buy something your trying to hold your money on. We're in a huge bubble on the used car market with the highest prices I've ever seen. F-150's are bringing Book retail at the dealer auctions, Expeditions are bringing WELL over retail. All vehicles are up drastically, and if new production gets caught up, the economy slumps, gas continues going up, etc, can all cause this bubble to burst.

I see lots of comments for Toyota cars, I'd say no, no cars unless you expect gas to go up to the point that people might go back to cars. I've seen interest in all the cars (including Toyota) drop drastically compared to everything else, there still up in this market, but nothing like SUV/Truck/Sportscars.

Tacoma resale was mentioned, but again, this is a bubble that worries me, the fact that they were the only game in town (frontier sucked)for years is a big part of the high resale, and now Colorados are starting to become common on the used market and Rangers aren't far behind. It think the short term you're looking at, this bubble won't burst completely and may not even start yet, other than the excess pricing that everything has right now. Now if you go back to a early or mid teen's model where further away from the higher volume of total compact trucks, less likely to become an issue.

That said, its all a gamble, and right now the odds are in the house's favor far more than normal. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find something around $10k, small SUV. This price point doesn't have room for major drops to be likely. A small SUV is good enough on fuel economy to make gas not likely to kill it if we end up back at $5. However, thats a tough thing to find, if you find one don't wait, they move fast normally, and right now I'd measure lot time on something like that in minutes, not days.

Jackattack

Badlands
First Name
Jarmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullsh
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in somewhat the same position. I'm driving a Nissan rogue and on top of small issues, I hate driving it. I think while it's working I may end up selling it to like carfax or something and just buy a cheap old high mileage Toyota tacoma. Reliable, decent gas mileage, and can tow more than the bronco so will still be usable. Just keep them both. If you could efford two insurances that is.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If really talking about the best financial choice, then if one option saves you even $1 more than the other, that is the better choice.

1) sell your car now (thus avoiding more depreciation) and purchase, as others have said, something cheap like a Honda civic, or maybe an older prius for now. The extra amount you get for you car now, could offset the smaller depreciation IF you got a good deal.

2) better option would be to keep your existing car and put as little into it as possible to keep it running as long as you don't have something major like engine or tranny go out. (Junkyards can be your friend)

Leasing or buying something nice or expensive will lose you more money guaranteed. Think of how many repairs you could do to your current car for the money you would spend to buy just about anything else.

It's like people buying a new/newer car to save money on gas.. only in very rare situations would that EVER work out. You know how many extra gallons of gas you can buy for 10k? (Come on people)

I had a similar decision: Keep my old XJ (which seemed to brake something every time I looked at it) or sell my newish car before another year (and mileage) of depreciation kicked in.

I decided to sell the XJ and eliminate the risk, keep my current car (which is paid for) because the depreciation of another year should be less than the repairs and gas that the XJ would have cost me.

Is something like a Motorcycle An option?

Deleted member 19970

Long story short: My mustang (09GTcs) is on its last legs - engine and trans are great but everything else seems to be falling apart. At ~140k mi I'd be lucky to get a couple grand at trade in. My reservation is a Week 2 at one of the below invoice dealers so I feel like there's no way I'm getting one in 2021, and I don't see the stang lasting until 2022.

If shit hits the fan what should I do? Thousands in repairs seems like throwing money away. Unless they tell me I'm a MY23 in May a lease would be out of the question.

What could I pick up to DD until my Bronco comes and lose the least $ on?
Howdy! I lurk here, but wanted to throw out an option we were considering, it’s not for everyone.

What about a used EV? BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, etc. I found several for under $10k and you can find some decent off lease or CPO models as well. No gas (or gas stations), very limited maintenance, as long as your commute isn’t too bad. Also, how much more value could they possibly lose at this point? I think if gas does skyrocket maybe it would hold it’s value a bit. Tesla probably loses its value less, but I’m not spending that just while waiting on the Bronco. Good luck!
Sponsored