Sponsored

What's the consensus on tie rod issues for MY 22.5 and newer?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are the tie rod failures and issues still a significant weak point in the MY 22.5 and newer builds?
I have a MY 2022.5 Badlands Sas and was going to toss a replacement stock inner tie rod in the truck in the event I experienced the infamous failure while on the trail.... However, when I went to order, I noticed the part number at Ford is only for MY 2021. Appears its a newer part for 2022. Does this mean Ford upgraded the part for MY 2022 and beyond?

There seems to be much less noise about tie rod failures hitting the forums and YT. Do I still need to prepare for an impending part failure?

I know I can add a brace as little as $50 to sure up the threads. (I actually prefer to carry a spare stock part and just be prepared for a trail-side repair.
I really wanted to know if issue has been addressed on the newer models by Ford releasing a stronger part.... Kinda like they fixed the dropped valve issue in their engines early on.... Or are people still breaking tie rods on relatively mundane wheel forces????
Inner tie rod part numbers haven’t changed.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is Adrenaline Package? Is that the same as the Pucker Package?
That’s just the code name for the Sasquatch package. The tie rods have not changed at all. A 2021 bronco with Sasquatch has the same ones as a 2023 with Sasquatch, as long as it’s not a 3.0 Wildtrak.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are the tie rod failures and issues still a significant weak point in the MY 22.5 and newer builds?
I have a MY 2022.5 Badlands Sas and was going to toss a replacement stock inner tie rod in the truck in the event I experienced the infamous failure while on the trail.... However, when I went to order, I noticed the part number at Ford is only for MY 2021. Appears its a newer part for 2022. Does this mean Ford upgraded the part for MY 2022 and beyond?

There seems to be much less noise about tie rod failures hitting the forums and YT. Do I still need to prepare for an impending part failure?

I know I can add a brace as little as $50 to sure up the threads. (I actually prefer to carry a spare stock part and just be prepared for a trail-side repair.
I really wanted to know if issue has been addressed on the newer models by Ford releasing a stronger part.... Kinda like they fixed the dropped valve issue in their engines early on.... Or are people still breaking tie rods on relatively mundane wheel forces????

The comments on this thread are pretty much "you should be fine" with no lift and 35" tires. I see it as not worth the risk. The parts to reinforce the tie rods are cheap, and buying and carrying a spare is cheap. Less than 200 bucks for all of it. Not even worth considering not doing it. Better safe than sorry in my humble opinion. I was wheeling with a friend recently who had a 100 series Land Cruiser, the first series with IFS. The tie rods on that Cruiser dwarfed the size of the tie rods on my Bronco, and he had 33's and I have 35's. Being told "you should be fine" on the internet isn't worth much, and no offense meant at all for those who are giving their opinion, they are probably correct. However, "should" and "probably" doesn't really say much.

Rush4th

Base
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I broke a tie rod on 2 occasions. The passenger side broke when I was still completely stock on my 2 door Sasquatch. The drivers side broke after I put the icon lift on.
It’s that said, it really depends on what you do with your bronco, I don’t hold back with mine. But always check your stuff before and after you take it out on a trip. It’s not going to brake on the road if everything is good.
I’m now running the broncbuster housing and bushing and put the chaos braces on when I go rock crawling.
To answer your question, they’re the same size and interchangeable. Mine is a 21 and a friend’s is 2 months old.
Sponsored