Sponsored

What's the consensus on tie rod issues for MY 22.5 and newer?

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are the tie rod failures and issues still a significant weak point in the MY 22.5 and newer builds?
I have a MY 2022.5 Badlands Sas and was going to toss a replacement stock inner tie rod in the truck in the event I experienced the infamous failure while on the trail.... However, when I went to order, I noticed the part number at Ford is only for MY 2021. Appears its a newer part for 2022. Does this mean Ford upgraded the part for MY 2022 and beyond?

There seems to be much less noise about tie rod failures hitting the forums and YT. Do I still need to prepare for an impending part failure?

I know I can add a brace as little as $50 to sure up the threads. (I actually prefer to carry a spare stock part and just be prepared for a trail-side repair.
I really wanted to know if issue has been addressed on the newer models by Ford releasing a stronger part.... Kinda like they fixed the dropped valve issue in their engines early on.... Or are people still breaking tie rods on relatively mundane wheel forces????
Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are the tie rod failures and issues still a significant weak point in the MY 22.5 and newer builds?
I have a MY 2022.5 Badlands Sas and was going to toss a replacement stock inner tie rod in the truck in the event I experienced the infamous failure while on the trail.... However, when I went to order, I noticed the part number at Ford is only for MY 2021. Appears its a newer part for 2022. Does this mean Ford upgraded the part for MY 2022 and beyond?

There seems to be much less noise about tie rod failures hitting the forums and YT. Do I still need to prepare for an impending part failure?

I know I can add a brace as little as $50 to sure up the threads. (I actually prefer to carry a spare stock part and just be prepared for a trail-side repair.
I really wanted to know if issue has been addressed on the newer models by Ford releasing a stronger part.... Kinda like they fixed the dropped valve issue in their engines early on.... Or are people still breaking tie rods on relatively mundane wheel forces????
I think peak tie rod failure was the guy who claimed to snap one in his driveway. That seemed like a isolated incident and I haven't heard too much since then. The guys who are pushing their Bronco that hard off-road have already seem to have either reinforced it or carry a spare kit.

I'd say unless you're going to be an off-road hero you don't have much to worry about.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with prospectfour. There just havenā€™t been that many reported failures from folks doing ā€normalā€ four wheeling. I did however purchase a spare from AutoZone that fits a 2004 Ranger pickup truck based on the research done by this forumā€™s members. It was less than $40 bare bones (no boot).

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can anyone confirm that 22.5 tie rods are different/better than 2021?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my personal opinion even for 21-22 it's not a huge concern until you're into big lifts and tires - depending how throttle happy you are. I believe it's prudent for everyone to carry a spare though, just in case, because it's cheap insurance against an expensive offroad recovery.

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For normal use and normal off road stocks should be fine. You start getting extreme the steering rack upgrade is justified. Lack of current complaints is from actual lift kits becoming available. Most failures were people with the half ass perch kits and 37ā€™s.

Personally I went with a set of rpg upgraded rods and will wait til someone releases a better rack at a decent price point this year.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Two different jam nuts too.. does this mean thread size changed? How can we verify?

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two different jam nuts too.. does this mean thread size changed? How can we verify?
It did for Hoss 3.0 for sure. 14mm > 16mm IIRC

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think peak tie rod failure was the guy who claimed to snap one in his driveway. That seemed like a isolated incident and I haven't heard too much since then. The guys who are pushing their Bronco that hard off-road have already seem to have either reinforced it or carry a spare kit.

I'd say unless you're going to be an off-road hero you don't have much to worry about.
I agree here. I did add the Bronco Buster Brace more as "insurance" than anything else. Thats said, push it to the limits....something can go wrong. I wonder how many that have broke their tie rods have; lifts, larger wheels, oversized tires? When you do some of that you change the angle and stress points on the tire rod. I don't know crap about this, but, I would assume that if you do any modification that is going to add stress or change the stress to the tie rod...well, you may need to upgrade the tie rod and associated assembly as well.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can anyone confirm that 22.5 tie rods are different/better than 2021?
They are not different, there is not a problem with tie rod ends with stock suspension and wheels/tires. If you lift your vehicle, you must always be mindful of tie rod angles, even on a jeep.

The one unique issue with the bronco for lifted vehicles is that excess tie rod angle can put pressure on the steering rack, causing it to cam out, breaking the rack. There are companies (or maybe one) that made a bushing you can insert into your rack that better applies the stress and reduces the opportunity for camming out.

The Raptor has larger tie rods, and a stronger steering rack, though that comes with 37's from the factory.

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As the ā€œguyā€ who had the driveway incident I have to say that the tie rods are not a big deal, donā€™t let what happened to me scare you!!! These broncos are extremely capable and were designed very well.

My incident was isolated and Iā€™ve been off-roading twice now on some pretty decently difficult terrain and no problems whatsoever.

Iā€™m running the non sas stock BD tires and Iā€™m not upgrading to new tie rods. We went wheeling with Vaughn and the problem is that, when you replace your tie rods with something stronger, when you get in a pickle and your tie rods donā€™t snap, then your steering rack is next. Which is very costly and is what happened to Vaughnā€™s fun-runner when we were out there!!!

So what Iā€™m doing is, when I upgrade to 35s, Iā€™ll put on the cheaper braces I got and use those. But the tie rods are designed the way they are for a reason so donā€™t forget that.

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As the ā€œguyā€ who had the driveway incident I have to say that the tie rods are not a big deal, donā€™t let what happened to me scare you!!! These broncos are extremely capable and were designed very well.

My incident was isolated and Iā€™ve been off-roading twice now on some pretty decently difficult terrain and no problems whatsoever.

Iā€™m running the non sas stock BD tires and Iā€™m not upgrading to new tie rods. We went wheeling with Vaughn and the problem is that, when you replace your tie rods with something stronger, when you get in a pickle and your tie rods donā€™t snap, then your steering rack is next. Which is very costly and is what happened to Vaughnā€™s fun-runner when we were out there!!!

So what Iā€™m doing is, when I upgrade to 35s, Iā€™ll put on the cheaper braces I got and use those. But the tie rods are designed the way they are for a reason so donā€™t forget that.
I still have no real idea why mine snapped when it did, but I didnā€™t post that to crap on Ford I just wanted to see what forum members had to say about what could have caused that to happen.

These Broncos really are incredible and if anything, the fact that the tie rod snapped in my driveway and not on the road makes me love mine even morešŸ˜Š
Sponsored