First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Design looks similar to the Kid Chaos (which no longer seems to be sold). Far more reasonably priced than the BroncBueater brace
https://barnes4wd.com/products/bronco-tie-rod-sleeve
Any options on them?

Speaking of BroncBuster, there seems to be knockoffs on eBaybfor half the price but I am not sure I would risk it.
Sponsored

eqlol

Everglades
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

From what I've researched and makes a lot of sense, is the sleeves are good but are not sure where the stress goes to on the vehicle. Maybe someone can correct me on this.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I almost bought tie rods sleeves early on but finally decided against it. The tie rod is the fusible link. Strengthen it and you move the failure point to the steering rack. I carry a spare tie rod (inner), proper size clamp, long screwdriver (for popping the clamp loose), 1 lb brass hammer, proper size socket for outer tie rod end, and large crescent wrench, all for a trail repair which I haven’t yet had to make. The entire tie rod / steering rack discussion is a deep and possibly costly rabbit hole with many differing opinions. I don’t crawl the Rubicon or Pritchet Canyon and run only stock 35” Sasquatch tires. Like most things in this hobby, it all depends on how you wheel.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with one important comment - most of the videos showing tie rod failure on YouTube are from relatively pedestrian courses. The common thread seems to be a) initial obstacle that requires meaningful engine revving b) and a closely spaced second obstacle that the tires ram into once they clear the first, usually with the steering wheel fully turned. Call it user error, inexperience, whatever.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My Brother told me he watched the MORR video with the tie rod failure and Matt used the BroncBuster to do a temporary field repair. Can anyone verify this would be possible? It seems a broken tie rod with a little bend in it wouldn't fit in the sleeve. I've been thinking about the Barnes Brace, the look good, reasonably priced, but I worry about eliminating the "fuse" in the system. I too carry a spare, but if they would work as a field repair, that would be nice.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the Barnes sleeves on my Bronco. An highly unlikely to ever drive where they would make a difference, so this is more to protect me from small mistakes due to inexperience, ie revving too much at an obstacle, jumping across it and jamming into the next one.

They are a simple contraption, can't see how the BroncBuster brace would be any more effective at >2x the price. One complaint about the Barnes brace is that the hardware rusted within a month and I live in San Diego. It is just 1 inch 1/4-20 screws, so I will replace them with stainless steel hardware

STP8_20240127_154055948.jpg

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Brother told me he watched the MORR video with the tie rod failure and Matt used the BroncBuster to do a temporary field repair. Can anyone verify this would be possible? It seems a broken tie rod with a little bend in it wouldn't fit in the sleeve. I've been thinking about the Barnes Brace, the look good, reasonably priced, but I worry about eliminating the "fuse" in the system. I too carry a spare, but if they would work as a field repair, that would be nice.
I suppose any of the split type braces could be used like a temporary splint to get you out of the woods but like you say, too much bend and you won't be able to get the two halves together.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a way to charge someone twice, once on the trail and second time putting a new tie rod on. Rather have someone hand me a tie rod and say I need help. Even running the brace you still need a spare might as well buy a another tie rod.

Braces were a hold over till better tie rods came out. Buying them now is throwing money away.
Sponsored