Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The film coverings will help prevent most small chips and cracks. Won’t help for boulders or the errant turkey. I can’t say the hood deflectors will help that much for the windshields.

Have you local glass shop fix and chips to prevent them from turning into cracks. The windshield is an integral part of the body and should be replaced once cracked. More for strength than falling apart. The glass is laminated, it will not fall apart like the side or rear tempered units.
Sponsored

stras27

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got Shatter-X to help with smaller rocks. It only lasts a year though but I don't even have my Bronco yet so not sure if it works. It was only $30 so it gives me time to figure something out like Exoshield which I was quoted $600 for.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my third windshield for my JKU. Jeep has now come out with a product called “Gorilla Glass”, which is supposed to resist impact better. I assume at some point it will be offered for the Bronco. Tractor trailers are your enemies on the highway.
For what it's worth, Gorilla Glass isn't a Jeep product per se. It's a brand and formulation of glass made by Corning, a very large glass and ceramics company.

Most high end smartphone screens use Gorilla Glass.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I reckon we are just going to have to live with rock damage,no glass is unbreakable just ask elon.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

]
I can't see how some "PPF" film (what paint is on the windshield to protect?) would do much against the rock impacts we see in this thread, maybe tiny pebbles, but not big rocks like we're talking here.
The multi-layer film that Joey Logano and others use on their turn left cars seems to work. Don't know how many layers they start with but they peel them off regularly over 500 miles

And I would say if ppf is not supplied in a roll or a sheet then it is not a film but simply clear paint.

I heard of this if anyone has done let me know. Install ClearPlex windshield protection on your car as soon as possible. The layer of ClearPlex windshield protection adds a strong skin over the glass that deflects and absorbs the impacts of rocks at high speed.
But it is probably illegal for road use in several states. A 4 layer multilayer windshield tear off will run around $200 plus install kit

Not at all. I actually had a small chip that was filled. Got it about a week after I received my Bronco. Was being extra careful and avoiding driving behind work trucks and still end up with a crack :rolleyes: Ordered this deflector so hopefully it offers enough protection
I too got a chip at around 1000 miles, about 1/2 inch up from bottom. Safelite fixed although still can see it. I probably will get a deflector but wonder if the next chip will just be somewhere higher in the glass or will.it actually clear the roof

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I reckon we are just going to have to live with rock damage,no glass is unbreakable just ask elon.
That was a side window if I recall. Gotta be some kind of reckless driver to hit a flying hammer with the side of the car and not the front

Cjeromepa

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I took delivery of by Bronco this past Friday. I was driving back to the dealership to drop off some paperwork and I got hit with a rock that looked about like the size of a baseball. The freeway has a bunch of construction going on, so I am assuming it came from that. I just hope that getting a replacement doesn't take too long because this crack is so close to the edge I now worry about driving it.
glass.jpg
Happened to me too, also scratched my hood
Ford got windshield in 10 days

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey a windshield repair kit asap and target the center of the spider. You should be fine after that. Looks like the runners are going to the bottom of the windshield.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry to see this happened Jesse. Welcome to the "Shit Happens" Club. It has like a million members, one of which is me.

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry to hear that.. It really sucks after just took delivery of a new vehicle.

Always remember never drive behind a jeep, pickup truck, semi, any sort of vehicle that could throw rocks at you. Stay distanced or over take.

I also just learned that I should add windshield replacement package on my auto insurance...

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The film coverings will help prevent most small chips and cracks. Won’t help for boulders or the errant turkey. I can’t say the hood deflectors will help that much for the windshields.

Have you local glass shop fix and chips to prevent them from turning into cracks. The windshield is an integral part of the body and should be replaced once cracked. More for strength than falling apart. The glass is laminated, it will not fall apart like the side or rear tempered units.
What he said, plus, just to add, many auto makers are using laminated glass in side windows as well. They train a little differently for extraction because of this.

Deleted member 21681

I have heard that Bronco windshields are magnets. I gotta check my insurance to make sure $0 deductible on replacement.
Always a good idea. Make sure to ask about potential additional fees to recalibrate sensors. I have $0 deductible on glass, but still had to pay $100 for recalibration last week on my wife’s new telluride. Not complaining, $100 all-in for a new windshield seems like a fine deal to me, but it’s better to know.

OP… sorry, bud. That really sucks.

nbennett14

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Fusion, 14 Fusion, 07 Expedition, 14 Grand Cherokee SRT
Your Bronco Model
Base
]

The multi-layer film that Joey Logano and others use on their turn left cars seems to work. Don't know how many layers they start with but they peel them off regularly over 500 miles

And I would say if ppf is not supplied in a roll or a sheet then it is not a film but simply clear paint.

But it is probably illegal for road use in several states. A 4 layer multilayer windshield tear off will run around $200 plus install kit

I too got a chip at around 1000 miles, about 1/2 inch up from bottom. Safelite fixed although still can see it. I probably will get a deflector but wonder if the next chip will just be somewhere higher in the glass or will.it actually clear the roof
Nascar runs some sort of I think Teflon Windshields (Not sure that is the actual material but it isn't a glass like in normal vehicle). The muli-layer film you are talking about are just tear offs to clean the windshield. Has nothing to do with strenth. Just to clean the windshield of any type of element that will hurt the view out the windshield.
Sponsored