Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the maximum size, offset and weight the spare tire carrier can hold withing getting the upgraded brace? I'm running the stock 33" BL wheels and am looking at getting a 17x9 +0 offset wheels with possibly 35's.
Sponsored

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No science here but the tailgate seems to be made of pretty thin metal and looks to my eye to be close to the weight limit with my factory Sasquatch rim and tire in the back.

I would just weigh the oem Sasquatch set up and stick close to that. If going much over, Install the RC brace.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you're asking what is the weight capacity - documents from Ford to accessories manufacturers used 133lbs as the weight limit on the tailgate.

Some info in this thread

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rear-door-weight-limit.35184/

The Sasquatch OEM wheel / tire combo weight @ 88lbs.

Wheel offset / size etc doesn't really matter when you're asking if the wheel will FIT on the spare tire carrier, unless you're going extreme.

I have a stock '22 2dr BB. It was driven off the truck (5 miles on it) driven home to my shop, crash bars pulled and then driven to the tire shop where I installed 17x8.5 0 offset wheels on 315/70/17 tires. Zero lift. Zero rub. Zero scrub even under suspension flex.

Matching wheel / tire was mounted on the spare tire carrier with zero issues. 3rd brake light even clears, but it looks off. I added the Rough Country 3rd brake light extension.

Factory Sasquatch tire weighs 52lbs - so the wheel weighs 35.5lbs.

I'm running Nitto Terra Grapples G2s (315/70/17). Tire weight is 67.7lbs
I'm running 17x8.5 0 offset Motegi Racing Trailite wheels - weight 24.54lbs

A weight increase of less than 5lbs. If that makes the tailgate fail - well - it was likely going to fail anyway.

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you're asking what is the weight capacity - documents from Ford to accessories manufacturers used 133lbs as the weight limit on the tailgate.

Some info in this thread

Wheel offset / size etc doesn't really matter when you're asking if the wheel will FIT on the spare tire carrier, unless you're going extreme.

I have a stock '22 2dr BB. It was driven off the truck (5 miles on it) driven home to my shop, crash bars pulled and then driven to the tire shop where I installed 17x8.5 0 offset wheels on 315/70/17 tires. Zero lift. Zero rub. Zero scrub even under suspension flex.

Matching wheel / tire was mounted on the spare tire carrier with zero issues. 3rd brake light even clears, but it looks off. I added the Rough Country 3rd brake light extension.

A weight increase of less than 5lbs. If that makes the tailgate fail - well - it was likely going to fail anyway.
Im swapping to Method 305ā€™s 17x8.5 +0 they weigh in at 31lbs and the 35 KO2 weighs in at 66bs. So I will be over the stock setup by 9 or so lbs.Hopefully Iā€™m good since the tailgate is rated at 133. Since I have SAS on my Wildtrak do you think I will need third brake light extension?

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Im swapping to Method 305ā€™s 17x8.5 +0 they weigh in at 31lbs and the 35 KO2 weighs in at 66bs. So I will be over the stock setup by 9 or so lbs.Hopefully Iā€™m good since the tailgate is rated at 133. Since I have SAS on my Wildtrak do you think I will need third brake light extension?
Not sure - I would think not - but I don't have a SAS.

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
the tire ā€œbumperā€œ thing is what I would worry about with different offsets/tire widths...

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

the tire ā€œbumperā€œ thing is what I would worry about with different offsets/tire widths...
Any aftermarket offset wheel designed to fit with larger tires will actually sit further away from the bumpers. I've got 17x8.5 0 offset on 315/70/17 and the sidewall of the tire is a few inches away from the rubber bumper.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Some info in this thread

It's worth noting that most people are only considering the exterior weight placed on the tailgate (tire carrier), however, one must also take into account any tailgate tables, molle panels or whatever else they bestow upon the inside of the tailgate.

Word of advice: Remove the prancing horse and Ford badge to save 1/27th of a pound!

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's worth noting that most people are only considering the exterior weight placed on the tailgate (tire carrier), however, one must also take into account any tailgate tables, molle panels or whatever else they bestow upon the inside of the tailgate.

Word of advice: Remove the prancing horse and Ford badge to save 1/27th of a pound!
LOL
I have a '95 Bronco, my son's DD. I TOTALLY tore that thing apart. One part was rebuilding the tailgate. Literally just a sheet metal outer skin with TWO tiny factory spot welds holding it to the inner skin. Added more welds when I rebuild the power window mechanism etc.

Compared to that design the '22 Bronco we have is light years ahead. I'm no engineer (I've impersonated one on occasion) but the majority of the weight seems leveraged on the hinges which are pretty stout.

Honestly, I think the tailgate strut would fail before anything else. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on tearing off those interior trim panels to see how / if the alum tailgate is braced or beefed up where the spare tire mount bolts on.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
LOL
I have a '95 Bronco, my son's DD. I TOTALLY tore that thing apart. One part was rebuilding the tailgate. Literally just a sheet metal outer skin with TWO tiny factory spot welds holding it to the inner skin. Added more welds when I rebuild the power window mechanism etc.

Compared to that design the '22 Bronco we have is light years ahead. I'm no engineer (I've impersonated one on occasion) but the majority of the weight seems leveraged on the hinges which are pretty stout.

Honestly, I think the tailgate strut would fail before anything else. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on tearing off those interior trim panels to see how / if the alum tailgate is braced or beefed up where the spare tire mount bolts on.
One of the tailgate table manufacturers requires you to pull the vent to sink nuts in for mounting. I think their install video shows some of the inside of the tailgate but I don't recall the manufacturer... Might have been JCR.

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Any aftermarket offset wheel designed to fit with larger tires will actually sit further away from the bumpers. I've got 17x8.5 0 offset on 315/70/17 and the sidewall of the tire is a few inches away from the rubber bumper.
Yes that is the problem...the bumper is there for the tire to sit against so there is less flexing going on. with your wheel/tire combo sitting out more it puts more leverage on the the mount and tailgate with nothing to help keep it from flexing...

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How would the rubber bumpers reduce flexing? Weā€™ll agree to disagree. Itā€™s for NVH reduction and to protect the finish on the tailgate. If Ford is relying on a loosely mounted, rather soft rubber bumper to prevent tailgate flex, it was going to fail regardless. The stress is imparted on the spare tire mount itself and where it bolts to the tailgate.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is the maximum size, offset and weight the spare tire carrier can hold withing getting the upgraded brace? I'm running the stock 33" BL wheels and am looking at getting a 17x9 +0 offset wheels with possibly 35's.
I wouldn't go higher than 35. But I've also been eyeballing RTRs tire rack carrier.
Sponsored