Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so, now that Ford has shown off the WARN winch attached to the modular bumper,
what's involved in supporting the extra weight cantilevered off the front bumper.

i remember back in my old land rover days, that would involve much stiffer front springs
on the solid forward axle so that the nose didn't point down.

how's it done for the IFS suspension?? is it a simple (or not so simple) spring changeout??
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve never heard of anyone doing anything to counter it, the difference in height with an extra 80-100 lbs should be minimal at worst. Granted my SUV has a 2,200lb payload but there is no measurable (at least with tape measure) deflection from the added weight of my winch carrier. Without going out to look I believe I’m running an XD9000 Warn.

Now a whole winch and winch bumper would probably require changes but a basic carrier+winch shouldn’t bring the front end down much at all. Obviously the further in you tuck the winch the better.
Worst case scenario you can add a half inch spacer to the front end and bring it up.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I currently use a "Hitch Winch" on my XJ and when I have it on, you can definitely feel the front end weighting down. However by the time you pile all your gear in the back, you are now "balanced" :)

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

so, now that Ford has shown off the WARN winch attached to the modular bumper,
what's involved in supporting the extra weight cantilevered off the front bumper.

i remember back in my old land rover days, that would involve much stiffer front springs
on the solid forward axle so that the nose didn't point down.

how's it done for the IFS suspension?? is it a simple (or not so simple) spring changeout??
IFS handles it exactly the same. Stiffer springs. The winch hanging that far out in front of the axle centerline will have an impact.

OP
OP
Lcubed

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IFS handles it exactly the same. Stiffer springs. The winch hanging that far out in front of the axle centerline will have an impact.

think the warn winch kit ford showed off recently includes the uprated springs et al in a integrated/engineered package??

i would love to get the winch already installed from the factory and be able to roll it all into the financing.

Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have to add a heavier bumper to add the winch, sure it could be something you want stiffer springs for. We do that for xterra's since we'd have to add a 60+ lb bumper for aluminum or 150+lb for steel to accommodate a winch. You need stronger springs to keep things riding right. The Bronco may not need as much weight added if it is just the winch mount+ winch.

OP
OP
Lcubed

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have to add a heavier bumper to add the winch, sure it could be something you want stiffer springs for. We do that for xterra's since we'd have to add a 60+ lb bumper for aluminum or 150+lb for steel to accommodate a winch. You need stronger springs to keep things riding right. The Bronco may not need as much weight added if it is just the winch mount+ winch.
good to know, i remember the front end of my LR ended up over 200+ lb heavier after
the addition of the ARB bumper, 10000# winch and front bash plate.

the TJM rear bumper didn't weigh enough to compensate for the nose.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For Tacomas, you match the spring rate and length to the expected weight up front. Pretty common to put springs rated for 50-100lbs more than stock if planning a steel bumper and winch and heavier skids. Since we don't know things like spring rate for the high lift or squatch package, hard to say at this point if it will be needed on the Bronco.

You can be sure though the aftermarket will have longer and heavier rated springs and coilovers that will easily replace stock. It would be nice to have much more detailed info on the different suspensions so one could decide if the upgrade is worth paying for or if you're better off waiting for aftermarket.

I sill want to know if the same control arms are used on the base and high lift packages. If so, it seems to me I'd be better of sticking to the BD and upgrading suspension on my own. If having to replace control arms, then the expense to do that might make it worth getting the factory upgrade.

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Get a synthetic rope and it shouldnt be a problem. My CJs nose down a bit but thats with 45 year old leafs and crap shocks.

Also they sell leveling kits for that, usually just a spacer.
Sponsored