Sponsored

Wire harness rubbing against drivetrain...

jakej

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Per a prior post, I've been getting Powertrain Failure and 4x4 Fault alerts in Bronco and on FordPass app since picking vehicle up last week. While investigating the Transmission Control Module this morning, I found the following: It is a wire harness rubbing (off back of transmission) rubbing against the drivetrain. There is visible damage to the wire sheath, and maybe wires. I've taped up for now and have appointment Monday to investigate the original errors.

Anyone else had this issue?
Original post/thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/4x4-error-messages-new-bronco.31711/#post-1068656
Ford Bronco Wire harness rubbing against drivetrain... wires rubbing bronco
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I do believe this has been discussed in prior threads as an area to inspect when receiving your truck so I do not think you are alone. SUCKS!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Actually I thought the previous discovery was near the rear... So unless I was mistaken, I guess I have to check both front and rear as part of my ever-growing checklist items.

OP
OP
jakej

jakej

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Per a prior post, I've been getting Powertrain Failure and 4x4 Fault alerts in Bronco and on FordPass app since picking vehicle up last week. While investigating the Transmission Control Module this morning, I found the following: It is a wire harness rubbing (off back of transmission) rubbing against the drivetrain. There is visible damage to the wire sheath, and maybe wires. I've taped up for now and have appointment Monday to investigate the original errors.

Anyone else had this issue?
Original post/thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/4x4-error-messages-new-bronco.31711/#post-1068656
Ford Bronco Wire harness rubbing against drivetrain... wires rubbing bronco
Update on this issue: I taped up the damage on wire harness and repositioned it a bit to avoid more damage, then went for a 200 mile drive (including some off-road :) ) and zero error alerts! Prior to that I had at least one error every time I drove the Bronco. I will be talking to Dealer Service Dept. today to make sure they have a replacement wire harness.

This is definitely a design issue on the Broncos as the wire harness was secured with a plastic holder coming out of transmission, but the wires are too long and loop down into the drivetrain.

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What ever happened with your wiring harness issue? I believe I have the same problem. Had 4x4 fault alert, and goat mode dial started flashing - all 4 lights at once. Took it to the dealer. They shared this picture with me and want to charge me a lot to fix it.
Dealer suggested it was done by a stick or a rock... but just don't believe it would look this way. Thoughts from anyone in the forum?
Per what you described, getting warn in 2 by the drive shaft seems a likely possibility. Seems it should be a warrantee issue?

wire harness over transfer case 2.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
jakej

jakej

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What ever happened with your wiring harness issue? I believe I have the same problem. Had 4x4 fault alert, and goat mode dial started flashing - all 4 lights at once. Took it to the dealer. They shared this picture with me and want to charge me a lot to fix it.
Dealer suggested it was done by a stick or a rock... but just don't believe it would look this way. Thoughts from anyone in the forum?
Per what you described, getting warn in 2 by the drive shaft seems a likely possibility. Seems it should be a warrantee issue?

Ford Bronco Wire harness rubbing against drivetrain... wire harness over transfer case 2
The dealer replaced the wiring harness and used some ties to make sure it would not rub against the drive train. They did not charge me since it was within one week of delivery.

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

that looks like rodent damage.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Ford Bronco Wire harness rubbing against drivetrain... wire harness over transfer case 2
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  
Sponsored