Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hankook is equivalent to Michelen, ex-Mich guys who started it, from what my tire guy tells me. We ran them on wife's SUV without trouble. I've run Mich's on my Tundra and until recently have been happy and carefree. BUT, they're super hard, so after a year or so, you notice less traction on wet pavement, which can be super scary at times. And then, caught a 3/4" sheet metal screw, seriously...how did it get past the tread? But it did and made a wee hole...and you know the rest. So much for that super hard rubber doing much.
Sponsored

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow! That's a cool tool. I'm going to have to use that thank you.

Does anyone have experience with a tall skinny passenger tire such as a 255/85/16 or a plus two equivalent 255/~60/18 that could share?
We run the BFG 255/85R16 KM3 on our F-250. Its an old beater and sees a fair amount of real off road use in the Southern California mountains and sees heavy loads. Its a great tire. Wear is even and the tire does not feel squirmy on the highway. Noise is minimal for something fairly aggressive. We went with it over a 285/75R16 which is essentially the same height for the use of the truck.

We went with the KM3 on that truck because BFG didn't offer the K02 in that size. We run the K02 on everything else. Its a great all around tire for street and varied off road use. We've never had problems with uneven wear on any vehicle except a Suburban that needed its A arms replaced (not a tire issue). Sidewalls are also very strong. The K02 is the tire I put on the kids cars so they can go play in the desert and mountains and I don't have to hear about flats or tire issues. I drive a lot and 60-80K on a set of 265/75R16s is expected.

I was happy to see the K02 as the standard tire on the Badlands.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well you did say you wanted skinny (not that I'd recommend this for your use), and in honor of @MaverickMan , who wouldn't pass up the chance for some 33 x 9.50's

Ford Bronco Would appreciate help with tire selection 1601482182352

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We run the BFG 255/85R16 KM3 on our F-250. Its an old beater and sees a fair amount of real off road use in the Southern California mountains and sees heavy loads. Its a great tire. Wear is even and the tire does not feel squirmy on the highway. Noise is minimal for something fairly aggressive. We went with it over a 285/75R16 which is essentially the same height for the use of the truck.

We went with the KM3 on that truck because BFG didn't offer the K02 in that size. We run the K02 on everything else. Its a great all around tire for street and varied off road use. We've never had problems with uneven wear on any vehicle except a Suburban that needed its A arms replaced (not a tire issue). Sidewalls are also very strong. The K02 is the tire I put on the kids cars so they can go play in the desert and mountains and I don't have to hear about flats or tire issues. I drive a lot and 60-80K on a set of 265/75R16s is expected.

I was happy to see the K02 as the standard tire on the Badlands.
I've run K02s and many friends have as well. I see on forums they get a bad wrap sometimes because of uneven wear but I think it's blown out of proportion. Maybe it does happen but I think it's mostly just parroted by the "my buddy's buddy" crew.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been a long time since I've had Goodrich AT's, but consistently! had steel belts slip (rust somehow? via punctures?) and had to replace them, eventually. That was the cause of uneven wear for me...hope those days are done.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've run K02s and many friends have as well. I see on forums they get a bad wrap sometimes because of uneven wear but I think it's blown out of proportion. Maybe it does happen but I think it's mostly just parroted by the "my buddy's buddy" crew.
I imagine off roading technical trails and rock climbing is going to produce uneven wear.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I imagine off roading technical trails and rock climbing is going to produce uneven wear.
If that's all you're doing, sure. The complaints, I've seen, haven't specifically mentioned that however. Most running K02s aren't rock crawling.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But KO2s aren't the only tires being used for rock crawling. Yet they seem to comprise of a larger amount of the complaints. It was enough to make me steer clear of them.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But KO2s aren't the only tires being used for rock crawling. Yet they seem to comprise of a larger amount of the complaints. It was enough to make me steer clear of them.
I boulder hop in mine on occasion, no strange wear issues. Just rotate them every oil change and go on. I don't have any issues with chunking either.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well you did say you wanted skinny (not that I'd recommend this for your use), and in honor of @MaverickMan , who wouldn't pass up the chance for some 33 x 9.50's

Ford Bronco Would appreciate help with tire selection 1601482182352
That is the only real question in life 33x9.50 TSL SX's or 34x10.50 LTB's. SX's are more hardcore but LTB's are a little bigger. I say put the SX on your work truck(be sweet on a dually or the 4door grocery getter), and the LTBs for your toy. Anything else really just belongs aon a lil tikes wagon.

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello, it looks like I'll be able to get my wife on board so things are looking good for getting a base Bronco.

As background, I have off roaded a lot but only larger, military vehicles. So tire selection for a Bronco is something I need help with.

I'm not like most on here... This is my daily driver and I'm rarely going to take it off road except on some weekends and to certain job sites. I currently have a Subaru Crosstrek.

From reviews I've found that the Continental Terrain Contact A/T seem to be mostly highway tire with a dash of off road ability. But what size? I'm not wanting wide mud tires, just a practical compromise wheel and tire size. I like the old Land Rover series and early Broncos with the skinny tall tires and being that they're narrow I would think they'd be better for gas mileage and also give me a bump in the height as I'll likely get the base model bronco. But I've never driven skinny tall tires except maybe on a military G-wagon and I've slept since then. And never took it on the road for long periods of time.

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.
If you add a Sasquatch, +2", I think you CAN do tall and skinny.

Get an 18" wheel, with an offset, between 4.5" and 4.2"... then add Nitto Ridge Grappler tires in a size 37 x 11.5 x 18. They also sell the Ridge grappler in the more standard 12.5" and 13.5" widths.

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Gotta get the RUBBER BANDS MANG!!

Nitro Terra Grapplers or BFG KO2

7B36A8E6-8D8F-42C1-AD36-10FA8A97E77E.jpeg

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I boulder hop in mine on occasion, no strange wear issues. Just rotate them every oil change and go on. I don't have any issues with chunking either.
Yea I believe rotating every oil change is the key to longevity.

Reactions: JT1

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Uneven tire wear is probably one of the lowest worries when 'crawling'. I would just recommend avoiding the "kevlar" Goodyears as their sidewalls seem super soft (had stick go through on my Taco on a pretty easy trail - replaced with Revo3's and had no issues/complaints with those). Currently have some Wildpeaks on my truck and really like them so far.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gotta get the RUBBER BANDS MANG!!

Nitro Terra Grapplers or BFG KO2

Ford Bronco Would appreciate help with tire selection 7B36A8E6-8D8F-42C1-AD36-10FA8A97E77E
The guys at that car show were hunting around for a steep pipe to throw at them spokes.
Sponsored