Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, really sorry about this, especially from a fellow build week brother with a Cyber Orange 2 Door :(
Sponsored

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Bug spray in Maine is like your brother or sister holding their finger mm's from your face and saying "I'm not touching you"
I don't care to reveal how long it took me to figure out "finger mm's"!

OP: glad you and the pup are here to tell the tale!

Redcobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition, 2020 Escape, 1970 Galaxie XL Conv
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How do we find the recovery video link?
Sorry this happened, glad your ok.

Canoehead26

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I won't go thru the whole ordeal here, now...

I simply have way too much in my plate right now but I'll follow up at some point.
Was on a week long, 800km tour thru Quebec when this happened crossing a wooden bridge.

As beat as I can tell, a beam broke off the bridge under the front passenger wheel.

Then the rear come off and slid over the side.

I finally arrived home, last night after the Bronco sat in the water for 3 days.

An incredible group of guys came up from outside Ottawa to do the recovery. Took 3 vehicles and a LOT of rigging and problem solving to get it out safely and without damage.

Updated with more details:

I have a minute, I can add to the story. The situation with the truck was just the beginning.

There was cottagers 1km up the road... They were planning on leaving the following day. If they weren't there, it was likely a 20k hike out. Very little traffic comes down there.

I fact, all we saw were people coming to help and look.

I also have to mention just how buggy it was. If you were unprotected, you were CONSTANTLY being harassed and biten by horse and deer flies and mosquitos.

Not to mention the near 100% humidity and sweltering temps.

At the cottage, they had no electricity... Gravity fed water pumped from the lake, and out house and that's about it.

Cell signal was only possible by walking down from the cottage to the lake and holding your phone a certain way. And while you did so, you were a sitting duck with the bugs!

All I had was my dog, my cell phone, and a pair of shorts and a t shirt that I had already been wearing for a full day.

I only managed to check msg's every hour or so, while also charging my phone in their pickup truck in between.

The extreme generosity and caring of Nipper and Joanne, the cottagers can't be under stated. But the situation I put them in was horrible.

We took his pickup down to have a look at my Bronco, on the way back he lost 4 low and got stuck.

We hiked back up to get his tracked vehicle. He dumped in gas and started down, only to have probably a liter or more of water pumped into the engine.

We drained out the water and continued. Managed to level the truck so it wouldn't roll, but because of a stuck throttle, a shift into reverse drove the hitch receiver on this thing into the tailgate, opening it like a pop can.

On the way back up, the shifter broke and we couldn't get it into low gear. Another repair on the side of the road and we made it back after severely overheating it.

I didn't sleep a wink that night... Severely dehydrated, no appetite and no idea...

It wasn't until the middle of the night that it occurred to me about the FB recovery groups. Stupid of me 😔

Eventually it was JF Dupris who got a hold of me and arranged everything... Grabbing gear, organizing other vehicles, etc.
And all of this after a 12 hrs shift of work, he finished a 5pm and they headed out for the 2.5 hrs drive.

They arrived in the dark and he immediately wanted to go have a look at the situation 😲

He went so far as to climb into the truck, waist deep in murky water to at least disconnect the shift interlock (out of habit, I put it in park before shutting it off 😔)

He also swam around, checking to see if anything was holding or blocking the Bronco. Simply amazing...

Nipper and Joanne had a fire going and the group sat around having a few drinks and enjoying the beautiful area before getting started at work the following day.

I was simply too exhausted, mentally and physically at this point and just crashed on the couch when we got back.

You'll not want to miss the vids on my channel when I get there.

IMG_20230708_163725_415.jpg

J. F. Dubris, the guy in the water, was the master recoverer here...

Simply went all out, no short cuts, no fear (multiple leech attacks!), no damage and did it right.

You all will have to make sure to catch the vid on my channel when I release it.

20230707_114613.jpg

VIDEO:

A generational story to be passed down through the family!! That was some tough luck but glad you and everyone were safe.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder what the waterproof rating is for the wiring connectors on the Bronco. Typical automotive connectors are water resistant and that’s it. You’d assume anything outside of the cabin and under 36” would be waterproof.

Three tons of Bronco on an iffy wooden bridge? Tough decision.

TheDo114

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Man, glad you got out ok.

J-F is the man! Went to school with him and also off-roading with him once or twice and it was always a blast.

Did this happen in Swisha QC? If so, that's where I go moose hunting, the bridges are always super sketchy off the main trail. Sucks it happened to you.

BamaBronc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You may not be the guy that works on vehicles, but I do so I'm just going to say what I would do. Just me, not saying you should, but maybe give it a thought. I would buy that sucker back from the insurance. I would then commence to tear the thing apart and build a overland rig the way I would want it. First would see if swapping in a coyote 5.0 is possible and put in some serious beef axles. Doing it my way would essentially remove most of the creature comforts as far as electronics would be concerned, but it could be done. Headlights, taillights, blinkers, horn, wipers and she's street legal. You can run all that stuff off of the new offroad SSRs that you can buy now. Granted, it wouldn't be pretty on the inside, but she would be a beast. Also, apparently with the amount of overlanding you do and where you take it, may be time to invest in a Sat phone. Had a friend who woulda been dunzo had he not had one when his boat lost all electrics in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do we find the recovery video link?
Sorry this happened, glad your ok.
It'll be up on my channel eventually...
For now, I have this update....

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah, tons of them out there... Single lane spans.
Gawd damn Google maps even sent me down that road!
FWIW - The fact that Google Maps sent you down it may be useful with your insurance claim.

That area in the middle of black fly season is a little insane though.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Glad you are ok. I read a quote the other day: "adventure is what happens when things don't go according to plan" or something like that. If nothing else you have an interesting story to tell!

“Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just as my grandpappy said, "Don't lead your horse to water, because it might just take a drink".

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey. We enjoy following you and wish you the best. Looking forward to your updates and successful recovery.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you are ok! I almost ended up the same way, but was able to recover in the end.

Ford Bronco You've probably already seen my Bronco underwater on the web? C37A44A1-4730-4E23-AA57-CEB2F129720D
Ford Bronco You've probably already seen my Bronco underwater on the web? C37A44A1-4730-4E23-AA57-CEB2F129720D

Wow... Scary close call! Would hate to see that beauty on its side. 😔
Sponsored