GomezK6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 04' Subaru WRX STI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So after talking with @Ducati1098 He pointed me in the direction of two Fuses (F24) 10A for the 20GA wire in location #3 of the PSCM connecter C1463A and the High current Junction box 60A Fuse. of course it wasn't the 10A fuse because that would be too easy, but I found the 60A fuse was blown in the High current junction box. As depicted below. Im hoping this solves the communication issue once I get a replacement from Ford.

Im obviously not out of the woods with the programming cause again I AM A DUMB and still need to get my vehicle back to factory settings so I can actually program the new rack, but that's a future me problem. Im just happy to feel like Im moving the in the right direction finally. Big thanks to @Bmadda, @mpeugeot @zuke @Ducati1098 @Snacktime and @BigMeatsBronco for helping provide insight as to what is going on and provide assistance when it was very much needed.

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT IMG_1459
Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks @Bmadda, Those are exactly what I was asking about...

Seeing in the other thread that @GomezK6's old rack was binding and died before the endeavor to install the 3.0 rack, I'll bet that's what caused the overload on the singed the connector. and now that he's found that fried fuse, he'll probably be moving on to the next steps once he can get it replaced.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks @Bmadda, Those are exactly what I was asking about...

Seeing in the other thread that @GomezK6's old rack was binding and died before the endeavor to install the 3.0 rack, I'll bet that's what caused the overload on the singed the connector. and now that he's found that fried fuse, he'll probably be moving on to the next steps once he can get it replaced.
guessing overheated the motor because that seems to be an issue on non 3.0 racks.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Curious how a 60A fuse got blown. Did we work on the Bronc and not disconnect the battery???? Did we touch + and - terminals on the battery while working on the Bronc??? or just a weird thing that something shorted out and caused an overload in the circuit????

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Curious how a 60A fuse got blown. Did we work on the Bronc and not disconnect the battery???? Did we touch + and - terminals on the battery while working on the Bronc??? or just a weird thing that something shorted out and caused an overload in the circuit????
He said the internals were exposed at some point and then the rack seized up. So I'm guessing as soon as it seized, it overloaded the circuit.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

He said the internals were exposed at some point and then the rack seized up. So I'm guessing as soon as it seized, it overloaded the circuit.

Ok. guess I missed it. (y)

GomezK6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Anytime I worked on the Bronc I disconnected the battery specially if im doing anything electrical. I hate electricity and dont feel like getting shocked or short something so I always disconnect.

No I didn't touch + and - terminals because the the above stated reasons.

Im guessing water got into the connecter somehow, it has been the rainy season here in Eastern NC. I was still driving the Bronc around even with the rack grinding cause I didnt have time then to work and fix it. Im guessing it blew whenever the steering locked up and when I say locked I mean the wheel would not budge in any fashion. so in order to move it i disconnected the tie rods and had friends push the wheels so we could steer into a location out of the way until I could work on it.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On a separate note not that it would of helped in this situation but I now carry spare 40/60 amp fuses along with 10/20s at least in the vehicle.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anytime I worked on the Bronc I disconnected the battery specially if im doing anything electrical. I hate electricity and dont feel like getting shocked or short something so I always disconnect.

No I didn't touch + and - terminals because the the above stated reasons.

Im guessing water got into the connecter somehow, it has been the rainy season here in Eastern NC. I was still driving the Bronc around even with the rack grinding cause I didnt have time then to work and fix it. Im guessing it blew whenever the steering locked up and when I say locked I mean the wheel would not budge in any fashion. so in order to move it i disconnected the tie rods and had friends push the wheels so we could steer into a location out of the way until I could work on it.

That is good. I only ask because many people do not disconnect the battery, I'm also very anal about that stuff. I have had to fire people because they did not listen and smoked a new PCM trying to install a programmer.

GomezK6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is good. I only ask because many people do not disconnect the battery, I'm also very anal about that stuff. I have had to fire people because they did not listen and smoked a new PCM trying to install a programmer.

Lol thats terrible, I dont want to ruin anything ya know I also really hate being shocked so its a double motivator for me.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So after talking with @Ducati1098 He pointed me in the direction of two Fuses (F24) 10A for the 20GA wire in location #3 of the PSCM connecter C1463A and the High current Junction box 60A Fuse. of course it wasn't the 10A fuse because that would be too easy, but I found the 60A fuse was blown in the High current junction box. As depicted below. Im hoping this solves the communication issue once I get a replacement from Ford.

Im obviously not out of the woods with the programming cause again I AM A DUMB and still need to get my vehicle back to factory settings so I can actually program the new rack, but that's a future me problem. Im just happy to feel like Im moving the in the right direction finally. Big thanks to @Bmadda, @mpeugeot @zuke @Ducati1098 @Snacktime and @BigMeatsBronco for helping provide insight as to what is going on and provide assistance when it was very much needed.

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT IMG_1459
I would order the connector right away also. Part# is on the connector view I posted above (but may have changed since the book was published, so always run it through the parts counter computer 1st)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
While I make sure to power off the vehicle, I do live dangerously and routinely plug and unplug the steering racks without disconnecting the battery.

If I was only doing one rack, I would disconnect the battery. When you are reprogramming 6 of them, it is a little too much work. I should install a battery disconnect box, that would be more sensible.

This clearly wasn't a VXDIAG VCX Nano issue. I know that it's not as easy to use as the Mongoose, but it's also 1/5th the price.