Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tried that. Still only goes 30 mins unless you go into the settings and turn off the 30 min idle. (Which resets on each startup). If someone can find a solution on Forscan that would be sweet!
Took this from the Forscan thread

Disable Auto Engine Idle Shutdown of 30 minsIPC720-01-01x*xxxxxxxx--subtract 8 from your default value (if default is F, change to 7)
Sponsored

Scout159

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 super
Your Bronco Model
Base
as far as to block heater---On my 2015 f250 I found out that Ford put blockheaters in them all( 6.2) gas engines---but if you optioned the block heater---They installed the special cord!!-It was in a spot you needed a lift to see-over brace.

I bought the cord from ebay or ford-can,t remember.
I bet is has it now---

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great post and discussion. A guy gets tired of reading posts about mall crawlers and beaches 🤪

My Ride: White Base, 2.7 Sasquatch. No other options besides Factory Block Heater and Dealer installed Battery...

Today it hit -40F
The review I needed

Thanks for the update! We get some chilly temps in MT but luckily I shouldn’t have to deal with -40…
Without wind-chill we hit -25 in Chester, MT yesterday. I think it got close to -40 overnight

Question: why are ppl "reporting out on" testing things that the automaker already tested- rigrously? do they not trust the automaker? Asking for a friend....
I don't exactly understand the point of your question. An automaker testing a prototype and a customer testing their purchase is encouraged. Plus it's helpful for the guys like me who live in similar climates to see how the bronco behaves. Obviously the automaker (Ford) screwed up the auto start functionality based on user feedback from OP

Literally the coolest Ford Bronco review yet.
I see what you did there 😂

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great review! I lived in NoDakistan for about 4.5 years and found you really learn a lot about a vehicle in those temps. If anything isn't up to snuff or you've been skimping on the maintenance, it will manifest itself when it's that cold. Even though I live in Eastern WA now, it's good to know the Bronco performs well.

Good synthetic oil and an AGM battery was a game changer, especially in older cars, and a battery heater was more valuable than a block heater if you didn't want to splurge on the AGM. Remote start is nice but the way some shops hack up the wiring harness to install them scares me.
North Dakota is also where I learned that if you're going to buy cut-rate gas, you better be spending the savings on some HEET.

RoadKiller

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk-Wife gets new and I get left over
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How about windows. Are your windows dropping to open the doors?

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is good to know if I ever decide to drive to the North Pole or if Santa needs to borrow my Bronco to deliver gifts next year.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 4e510853204af7be355796c23f88ee09939a0bc._RI_V_TTW_

So the temp dipped below Minus 40 Degrees (the point where F and C meet) and...

The short answer is the Bronco handles it like a champ.

Long Answer, just like anything at this temperature it's not perfect.

Here is my story.

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. Buffalo Airways Hangar: AirBus, Bombardier and others use our facility to Cold Weather test their new aircraft.
Date: December 27th, 2021
Air Temperature: -41C on the ramp at CYZF

Ford if you need a cold-weather spot to test hit us up! ([email protected]). Porsche comes up to Yellowknife every year to cold weather test their prototypes

My Ride: White Base, 2.7 Sasquatch. No other options besides Factory Block Heater and Dealer installed Battery Trickle Charger.

Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 4e510853204af7be355796c23f88ee09939a0bc._RI_V_TTW_

This is not a full list of course but just the deep winter items that jumped out.

1st the Bad.

Today it hit -40F (-40C) and my Basesquatch had been sitting for 4 days while I was away for X-mas. This morning I went to remote start it with the Ford Pass app and NO GO. I thought the battery died or it was too cold to start. But after physically using the push-button starter it fired up right away with no issue. The problem I know now was that the Bronco will go into sleep mode at these fridge temps and shut down power to the modem. So at the time you need to start it the most, it doesn't work... but it started and that's the important thing 7/10. A few co-workers were not so lucky.

Another kick in the pants is the 30-minute idle time maximum. Up here 30 mins is just the bare minimum you need to warm a vehicle up. Also having only two start sessions of 15 mins before needing to manually start the Bronco is a pain. Sometimes you can't plug into power during the day and need to start to keep it from freezing. So if anyone knows how to change that on Forscan please let me know! 5/10 for at least getting 30 mins.

Next Power Steering, with the cold temps (anything colder than -20C) it takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it frees up. I bet the 35's don't help. 5/10, No big deal as almost all vehicles do this up here. but my 2011 F-250 was not as bad.

Finally the Wipers. They suck and the almost vertical windshield almost always freezes the wipers as it collects a ton of water. 3/10 the back ones are not so bad.

The Good!

Heat. It warms up quickly! The 2 door Bases small cabin and fabric seats are a plus as they don't need to be warmed up as much as leather or vinyl. 9/10

Driveability. The Bronco is a dream on the ice and snow! I had put on Econo Mode and didn't know it disengaged the 4 wheel drive and I didn't notice it and I was driving on very icing conditions. (My F-250 was almost undrivable in 2WD in the same conditions) The 35's mixed with the short wheelbase of the 2-door is a dream in winter conditions. This was something I was worried about but I was wrong 9.5/10.

Infotainment Screen. Zero Issues so far, fingers crossed. Relatively fast and responsive at -40C 10/10.

So that's really it. A very short list of things that are affected by the deep cold.

Overall the Bronco is one of the best vehicles I have driven in these cold temperatures. I will update if anything else pops up.

I had a block heater in a Ford V10, E350 Chateau Wagon (shorter body) I owned in Plattsburgh, NY where -30 was about the worst low. They're wonderful add-,ons at little price. Re the remote start, can't you just restart it again with your phone app once the 15 + 15 time is used up?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is good to know if I ever decide to drive to the North Pole or if Santa needs to borrow my Bronco to deliver gifts next year.
There is a North Pole is Upstate NY you can try!

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can the engine block heater be installed after delivery? I didn't get it on my build and am thinking of driving up to northern Canada soon and am realizing it probably is a good thing to have...
Yes, but if you are going to live and work near where Mikey does, you'll want the "Fairbanks" style heater setup, a trifecta of: oilpan heating pad, transmission pan heating pad, and block heater.

https://katsblockheater.com/ will have plenty of options for your intended use.

The oilpan and trans pan heaters do more for cold starting than the actual block heaters. Block heaters are placed in the coolant, which generally serves to heat the cabin faster than the engine. Heating the oil and pan metal gets more heat into more of the engine, and warming the trans similarly means you have oils and lubricants functioning within their intended temp specs.

@mikeymcbryan is there enough windshield for a vertical FrostFighter defrost strip on the left A-pillar? Minimum looks to be 20" so I expect it's too short.

Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 screenshot-frostfighter.com-2021.12.28-20_28_36

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 screenshot-frostfighter.com-2021.12.28-20_28_36

So the temp dipped below Minus 40 Degrees (the point where F and C meet) and...

The short answer is the Bronco handles it like a champ.

Long Answer, just like anything at this temperature it's not perfect.

Here is my story.

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. Buffalo Airways Hangar: AirBus, Bombardier and others use our facility to Cold Weather test their new aircraft.
Date: December 27th, 2021
Air Temperature: -41C on the ramp at CYZF

Ford if you need a cold-weather spot to test hit us up! ([email protected]). Porsche comes up to Yellowknife every year to cold weather test their prototypes

My Ride: White Base, 2.7 Sasquatch. No other options besides Factory Block Heater and Dealer installed Battery Trickle Charger.

This is not a full list of course but just the deep winter items that jumped out.

1st the Bad.

Today it hit -40F (-40C) and my Basesquatch had been sitting for 4 days while I was away for X-mas. This morning I went to remote start it with the Ford Pass app and NO GO. I thought the battery died or it was too cold to start. But after physically using the push-button starter it fired up right away with no issue. The problem I know now was that the Bronco will go into sleep mode at these fridge temps and shut down power to the modem. So at the time you need to start it the most, it doesn't work... but it started and that's the important thing 7/10. A few co-workers were not so lucky.

Another kick in the pants is the 30-minute idle time maximum. Up here 30 mins is just the bare minimum you need to warm a vehicle up. Also having only two start sessions of 15 mins before needing to manually start the Bronco is a pain. Sometimes you can't plug into power during the day and need to start to keep it from freezing. So if anyone knows how to change that on Forscan please let me know! 5/10 for at least getting 30 mins.

Next Power Steering, with the cold temps (anything colder than -20C) it takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it frees up. I bet the 35's don't help. 5/10, No big deal as almost all vehicles do this up here. but my 2011 F-250 was not as bad.

Finally the Wipers. They suck and the almost vertical windshield almost always freezes the wipers as it collects a ton of water. 3/10 the back ones are not so bad.

The Good!

Heat. It warms up quickly! The 2 door Bases small cabin and fabric seats are a plus as they don't need to be warmed up as much as leather or vinyl. 9/10

Driveability. The Bronco is a dream on the ice and snow! I had put on Econo Mode and didn't know it disengaged the 4 wheel drive and I didn't notice it and I was driving on very icing conditions. (My F-250 was almost undrivable in 2WD in the same conditions) The 35's mixed with the short wheelbase of the 2-door is a dream in winter conditions. This was something I was worried about but I was wrong 9.5/10.

Infotainment Screen. Zero Issues so far, fingers crossed. Relatively fast and responsive at -40C 10/10.

So that's really it. A very short list of things that are affected by the deep cold.

Overall the Bronco is one of the best vehicles I have driven in these cold temperatures. I will update if anything else pops up.

It’s 40 below, don’t give AF, got a heater in my squatch and I’m off to the rodeo

• Haha
Reactions: abe

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question: why are ppl "reporting out on" testing things that the automaker already tested- rigrously? do they not trust the automaker? Asking for a friend....
You would be surprised at how much they 'assume' things based on previous designs by other designers. Management will regularly cut a few corners and save perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars by accepting that it "just will" based on something from a decade ago using different materials.
Sponsored