First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I noticed significant increase in fuel consumption in cold weather. Have 2 door 2.3 automatic with Sasquatch and run premium no ethanol fuel. Since cold weather the actual fuel economy is 15.2 overall on three tanks of fuel. The computer shows over 17 but the actual calculation is 15.2. Performance is fine but uses more fuel than my 4x4 F150 with a 5 liter V-8. I would guess that the Sasquatch is the culprit due to rotational mass of the tires, and the gearing, along with winter blended fuel. Add to that the aerodynamics are not the same.

I like the Bronco but expected little less fuel consumption.
Sponsored

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve also noticed a decrease in MPGs in really cold weather too. I have a BB non Sas with the factory 32” tires. Guess it’s just part of the Bronco ownership experience.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Perhaps warming it up to temp before driving? I notice significant drops in all my vehicles. Especially the ones with remote start....

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m seeing about a 3.5L/100km increase this winter.. approx 5-6MPG difference. On par with some others.

2.3 MT. Aka No Remote Start but plugged in outdoors. -30°C this week, warmed on idle for approx 90 seconds to get the 0w-30 and gear oils moving and gently/slowly off we go bringing the hubs, hydraulics and electronics up to temp

BKXJ

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep XJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m trying to understand paying for premium no ethanol fuel in a Ford truck while also obsessively tracking fuel efficiency…

No need for premium and expecting it to improve your mileage makes no sense.

Our non squatch gets 21 regularly. Our ‘14 f150 gets around 18 empty.

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m trying to understand paying for premium no ethanol fuel in a Ford truck while also obsessively tracking fuel efficiency…

There are separate (higher) power numbers for both the 2.3 and 2.7 running premium. That's why I do it anyhow. Now I'm getting 12 mpg or so with lots of idle time in AK winters (half the year).

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MPGs usually drop in the winter. There are a list of reasons but one simple thing you can do is make sure that your tire pressure is adjusted. The cold will reduce your tire pressure which will increase your rolling resistance. P=NrT/V. Have you adjusted your tire pressure?

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Common. I drop about 2 mpg in cold weather. Any vehicle I drive.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The cold dry air is a LOT more dense than warm humid air. Ask any pilot about airplane performance in cold air, or warm humid air.

The denser the air is, the more drag there is on the vehicle. Takes more power to push it through the thicker air.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Timing affects mileage and higher octane will allow it to advance the timing without detonation, so it stands to reason premium fuel can affect mileage in some situations.

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed significant increase in fuel consumption in cold weather. Have 2 door 2.3 automatic with Sasquatch and run premium no ethanol fuel. Since cold weather the actual fuel economy is 15.2 overall on three tanks of fuel. The computer shows over 17 but the actual calculation is 15.2. Performance is fine but uses more fuel than my 4x4 F150 with a 5 liter V-8. I would guess that the Sasquatch is the culprit due to rotational mass of the tires, and the gearing, along with winter blended fuel. Add to that the aerodynamics are not the same.

I like the Bronco but expected little less fuel consumption.
You've been on this forum since 2017?
Crazy, didn't know it was around then.
When did it start?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It has got to be a combination of the cold, vehicle aerodynamics, tires and engine efficiency. Any or all are contributors. I got much better MPG in my 2019 Silverado LD with 5.3 V8 and it had the old 6 speed HD transmission. And it was a heavy and huge truck- 4 X 4. But way better aerodynamics and it had smaller, smoother tires and the engine had cylinder deactivation. I got 25 MPG in it.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The cold dry air is a LOT more dense than warm humid air. Ask any pilot about airplane performance in cold air, or warm humid air.

The denser the air is, the more drag there is on the vehicle. Takes more power to push it through the thicker air.
Yes, more dense air also equals more oxygen in the air by volume, so more O2 means more fuel needed to reach optimal a/f ratio.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are separate (higher) power numbers for both the 2.3 and 2.7 running premium. That's why I do it anyhow. Now I'm getting 12 mpg or so with lots of idle time in AK winters (half the year).
I remember the 3 seasons of Alaska. Last winter, this winter and next winter.
On the serious side, AK fuel blends get really light in the winter, a legacy from the carb days when you needed that light fuel to vaporize in a carburetor. How many people in AK (of anywhere) still have a corbed vehicle? It's the 21st century, can we have some fuel with energy in it?
Sponsored