First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting. Do you have a specific product you’d recommend? I just reinstalled my hard top today and used my 303 rubber seal conditioner and was wondering if there is a better solution? thank you!
Hey HotLap,
Your 303 product is a great product and is used extensively in the auto world for just this use.

I happen to use the 3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (dry) as it rates it product down to -28F. A temperature that I hope to never experience.

I was not able to find a temperature rating for 303, so I can not state that 3M is better, but I do feel having a low temperature rating may provide better protection during our winter months.

3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type) - 8.5 oz. Dry Type | eBay
Sponsored

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I get a whistle when the heater is on. It's something with the air going over the driver side rear window. When I put the window down it stops. I think it just needs adjusting. I mentioned it to the dealer and they sorta brushed it off. I know how to do it, but my laziness about it wins out over how much it bothers me.

Earlier this week I was getting the hard top creaking. I attributed it to retraction due to temp as well.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey HotLap,
Your 303 product is a great product and is used extensively in the auto world for just this use.

I happen to use the 3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (dry) as it rates it product down to -28F. A temperature that I hope to never experience.

I was not able to find a temperature rating for 303, so I can not state that 3M is better, but I do feel having a low temperature rating may provide better protection during our winter months.

3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type) - 8.5 oz. Dry Type | eBay
My bias is 303 Aerospace. I've used it for over 30 years. My brother was an every day of the week boater in Upstate NY. He turned me on to it and I've used it ever since. I like it because it's easier to get off paint than most products, isn't glossy and based on the MSDS it's environmentally fairly neutral. Is it the best thing out there? Just go look for the 8 million posts on detailers pages about what's the best. ;) The one thing most agree on is avoiding anything petroleum based. Seems to align with my personal, non professional experience. Use what makes you happy.

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Turn up your radio and just enjoy the ride. Most things creak in the cold. Ever ride in a Tesla? It’s suspension creaks at any temp.

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got a lot of whistling when there is a good gust of wind and it's cold out, more noticeable than when it is warm out. All the weather-stripping gets harder when it's cold is all I can really think of. When it's not windy out I don't hear it though. Doesn't leak (yet) but it is a little noisy when it's windy and cold out.

Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My bias is 303 Aerospace. I've used it for over 30 years. My brother was an every day of the week boater in Upstate NY. He turned me on to it and I've used it ever since. I like it because it's easier to get off paint than most products, isn't glossy and based on the MSDS it's environmentally fairly neutral. Is it the best thing out there? Just go look for the 8 million posts on detailers pages about what's the best. ;) The one thing most agree on is avoiding anything petroleum based. Seems to align with my personal, non professional experience. Use what makes you happy.
Hey Dialtone,
No question that 303 is a recognized and well used product.
3M also does not use any petroleum as it is a food based silicone and as I mentioned it does rate it to -28F, which as we know is an important stat when you want to eliminate squeaks caused by friction during our cold winter months.
But, I agree in your statement "use what makes you happy".

CJK

Outer Banks
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mazda 2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Its really cold in Michigan right now and I am amazed at the whistling coming I think from the heating system and maybe the hard top. But also the creaking going on it sounds like a worn out car I drove in the late 70s. Must be the temperature range of all these plastics. Anyone else experiencing this.
You bet! I’m in Canada and the birds are chirping in my 2-door every time I drive out in the cold. I work from home so it’s not an issue for me as I do more driving in the summer when the whistle isn’t an issue. I did have the seals replaced around the removable roof but it didn’t help. It doesn’t bother me much anymore. I am more pissed about the B&O subwoofer buzz/rattle.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get a whistle when the heater is on. It's something with the air going over the driver side rear window. When I put the window down it stops. I think it just needs adjusting. I mentioned it to the dealer and they sorta brushed it off. I know how to do it, but my laziness about it wins out over how much it bothers me.

Earlier this week I was getting the hard top creaking. I attributed it to retraction due to temp as well.

I have this exact same problem...although its actually air escaping from between the hard top and the frame. If I stand out side I can feel the air escaping with my hand.

When you roll the window down it relieves the pressure and the noise stops.

TheRealLizG

Badlands
First Name
Lizeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its really cold in Michigan right now and I am amazed at the whistling coming I think from the heating system and maybe the hard top. But also the creaking going on it sounds like a worn out car I drove in the late 70s. Must be the temperature range of all these plastics. Anyone else experiencing this.
In Texas here. We had that arctic blast a few days and the wind was going hard. I was going insane with all the sounds the windows make. As if they’re not sealed properly. I e already had drivers side window fixed for rattling but yeah any time it’s windy you can hear a window whistle or sounds like a door isn’t closed all the way when they are. Haven’t heard any other weather related sounds elsewhere. My Jeep doesn’t even make those sounds on windy days and the window style is similar for the removable tips. I wonder how and if ford will fix this on newer models.

nx40yrs

Heritage
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have very few sound expectations as I bought a basass off road viehicle. If I have wanted quite ride I would boutght a Range Rover, just saying. Embrace the sounds of off road freedom.

Cheers,
Gordon

Sponsored

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of you getting a lot of creaking from your hardtops, prior to the onset of winter, I lubricated all of my rubber weather stripping on my Bronco with a Silicone spray. When I say all, I mean ever piece of rubber weather stripping on your hard top, around your doors (including rear door) and the ones supporting your hood in the engine compartment.

Silicone will keep ice from bonding to the rubber. That will keep your rubber throughout your hard top pliable, and eliminate all of the creaking you are presently hearing.

It will also make your doors open smoother and it will also help prevent tears in the weather stripping which prevents water, snow, and cold air from entering the cabin. By applying a silicone lubricant, you will keep the weather stripping flexible and in good condition, ensuring a tight seal and preventing any unwanted drafts or moisture from entering the vehicle.

Unless you have a heated garage, you will unfortunately have to wait to spring to be able to do this, but regardless, ensure you reapply come fall. You will be amazed at how quiet your hard top will be.
Can you not apply this during the winter? I don't understand?

My car is kept in a garage (not heated). Is it worthless to apply to stripping once its already been hardened by the cold or something?

I have regular 303 - wonder if I can just use that?

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you not apply this during the winter? I don't understand?

My car is kept in a garage (not heated). Is it worthless to apply to stripping once its already been hardened by the cold or something?

I have regular 303 - wonder if I can just use that?
Hey gaaangs,
As your Bronco is in a garage, you would definitely still be able to apply the silicone to your rubber weather stripping. It may be a bit cool as you do it, but it won't interfere with the bonding of the silicone to your rubber stripping.
My comment was directed at those who do not have a garage available so they can't easily take off the front roof panels, with the weather being what it has been.
Don't forget to do all of your rubber weather stripping, around your doors, including the stripping around your rear window, and in the engine compartment.

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey gaaangs,
As your Bronco is in a garage, you would definitely still be able to apply the silicone to your rubber weather stripping. It may be a bit cool as you do it, but it won't interfere with the bonding of the silicone to your rubber stripping.
My comment was directed at those who do not have a garage available so they can't easily take off the front roof panels, with the weather being what it has been.
Don't forget to do all of your rubber weather stripping, around your doors, including the stripping around your rear window, and in the engine compartment.
Ahh got ya - thanks brother.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
whistle club here but it was only cold (20F) for 2 days and it’s not done it again.

For those saying noise is part of the Bronco experience, sure. But if some lubricant will help both the sound and the gaskets last longer that’s helpful information.

My whistle sounded like it was coming from the middle panel behind the driver’s head. But I’ve found sounds bouncing off the hardtop I would have sworn were from another direction.

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We've been in the single digits and sub-zero temps for the last week and I have noticed a very loud whistle as well. But mine is coming from the front drivers side corner of the hard top. If I crack my window it stops. It's above 40 today but I didn't drive it so I don't know if the warmer weather made it stop or not.
Sponsored