First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like EVs and believe they're the future. Having said that, even the most ardent EV supporter in the gov understands that EVs are currently too expensive for most people and that the infrastructure isn't ready yet for everyone to charge from. EV adoption + infrastructure + government actions is going to take many years during which you can enjoy the F out of your Bronco.
I agree.

Reactions: Jdc

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to understand (in the 80s and 90s) that I would almost certainly get better than the highway rating on the highway and less than the city rating in the city. EPA ratings seemed to have been dropping over the past 10-20 years despite pushes for higher fuel economy.

Part I think is the way they rate, but from my observations actual experienced fuel economy is dropping. I see vehicles have generally gotten bigger which I am sure is part of it, but then they go thru major efforts to save weight and still come up with poorer fuel economy.

I suspect that maybe safety standards have been pushed so that they need to be more massive (doors thicker, sides higher with windows shorter) and maybe emissions standards have hurt, but less certain. I know emissions standards hurt for a time but with the closed loop EFI systems emissions got really good and fuel economy was also good, but sometimes squeezing a out every last bit of pollutant can have disproportionate effects on efficiency which brings down fuel economy.
The trend has been heavier cars (safety), bigger tires/wheels, more horsepower, and higher speeds. All these things hurt, then on top you have city traffic that is getting denser.

Deleted member 13702

Electric vehicles are all fine and good until that $10k battery needs replacing. I can buy a lot of gas for that money.
Five year cost for gas at $2.70 according to the window sticker is about $4500. If you don’t think gas prices will go up in 10 years than you are probably correct.

Hopefully the projection of $4.00 a gallon gas average for the US this summer is wrong.

Ford Bronco I think I'm out..... 9329989E-84BE-434E-928B-6DE26F6232C7

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Bronco23

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco I think I'm out..... Capture2

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure I was getting 15-16mpg out of a 402 cubic inch engine, 4bbl, 4 speed, full-frame American coupe, 3200 pounds.

The Bronco 2.7 is 165 cubic inches, 4500 pounds (all measurements approximate).
Talk about efficiency gains

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would not base my decision on the future of fuels. It’s smoke and mirrors the world Governments live off taxation of motor fuels. It will be a minimum of 25-30 years if even then to be gasoline free. The mandates for stop selling new ICE vehicles is still another 10-15 years away. If your buying your last vehicle for ever than whatever but the reality is the future is not even owning your own vehicle. A driverless vehicle will show up and you use it than it goes away. I truly believe the Drones are the next faze in our lifetime.
I like the fact that by the time I can’t drive anymore, it won’t matter 😎.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was very enthused and excited about the idea of buying a 2drBronco Badlands, v6. I haven't had a new vehicle since the 93 Toyota which I recently sold for $250 less than what I bought it for..... but my excitement has died down over time...what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!! a manual tranny would help. Get the MPG up to 24-26 hwy might change my mind,,,but 20 mpg is terrible. Then for me there is this complete push by the US government to go to EV's, what's gonna happen to gas prices??? Is the Government gonna cause gas prices to go up to push... Ev's on the population as a whole...I have a feeling they will. So buying a gas guzzling vehicle which has a power train which is being phased out just doesn't seem like a smart way to drop $50K on a vehicle....I just can't do it....If for some reason I change my mind it will still be there for me to buy, but since I own vehicles for a long time, I just can't see dropping $50K on something which is trying to be phased out......
I am buying a Bronco because its highly fuel efficient said no one ever!
If that is your primary criteria, then your barking up the wrong tree and you should be enamored with the Prius. 🤮
I’m betting that ICE vehicles are still available 15 years from now…. It might be a different fuel (hydrogen?) but they’ll still be available. Sometime in the not too distant future someone is going to wake up and realize that disposing of all those dead batteries is both costly and more harmful to the environment than ICE vehicles then the proverbial shit will hit the fan for EV’s.
As comedian Dennis Miller always says as he ends his rants, “That’s my opinon but I could be wrong”.

Sponsored

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2.3 auto has been getting 24 mpg no problem. But this will be my last gas only vehicle. I hope they come out with a hybrid bronco for the next gen. I'll gladly trade in.
I have a 2.3L too -- not sure how you're getting 24mpg unless you're always driving downhill. 😂

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@ahobie17 this is pretty much what I was mentioning in an earlier post. The most progressive state in the US is waiting until 2035. The federal government will more than likely push any future mandate beyond that. So you have time. If the mpgs are what's bugging you and you're not going off-road then you might be better served with a different vehicle.

Deleted member 13702

I am buying a Bronco because its highly fuel efficient said no one ever!
If that is your primary criteria, then your barking up the wrong tree and you should be enamored with the Prius. 🤮
I’m betting that ICE vehicles are still available 15 years from now…. It might be a different fuel (hydrogen?) but they’ll still be available. Sometime in the not too distant future someone is going to wake up and realize that disposing of all those dead batteries is both costly and more harmful to the environment than ICE vehicles then the proverbial shit will hit the fan for EV’s.
As comedian Dennis Miller always says as he ends his rants, “That’s my opinon but I could be wrong”.
Hydrogen is used to power electric motors. Hydrogen for a internal combustion engine would be the bomb, literally.

However it has been considered but there is a down side:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...hy-dont-we-burn-hydrogen-instead-of-gasoline/

viffer07

Black Diamond
First Name
pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy 2500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
02 chevy 2500 4wd 11mpg....07 surfside motorhome 8mpg......18 mpg sounds wonderful. Of course my little Honda Motorcycle gets 89mpg in the off road and 78 hwy.
I'll be 71 YO in March and can't wait for my B D v6 squash. prolly be my last vehicle ever....I plan on going out in a BLAZE!
E V never happen in my lifetime. the OIL companies are not gonna be phased out. there are way too many politicians in their pockets to ALLOW A govt mandate to put them out of business.
Imagine an electric powered Tank...electric F/A 18... electric Nimitz class aircraft carrier, better yet, maybe a Millenium Falcon.
see ya on the trail. I'll be the one passin you while you wait for the Charging vehicle. (gas powered)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.